March 2013 Moms

Amoxicillin

My DS started amox for a minor ear infection on Christmas Eve. It's prescribed for 10 days and he has developed a common diaper rash so bad that he screams bloody murder at every change. And it's given him diarrhea on top of it, which isn't helping. Any other moms with amoxicillin experience or some help for the rash? I'll probably be calling his ped tomorrow in hopes of a Saturday appt. His rash actually looks like burns. :(

Thanks.

Re: Amoxicillin

• I'm not sure but I know to give him some good pro biotics you should mention it to your pedi. We use baby jarro from the heb.
  • I'm so sorry! We had this happen too. The baby probiotics help, and then I only gave her bananas and cereal (and breastfeeding) for food. Also- naked booty time as much as possible. Our rash was really bad so it took a few days to really clear up a bit. Hope he feels better!
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We use triple paste. It's on the expensive side but the only thing that worked for DS when he had a rash so bad his skin would bleed. And used moist cotton balls instead of wipes too. Hope he feels better!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Is could be yeast if LO has been on antibiotics. You could try Monistat or Lotrimin.
  • The more I read, I feel it could be a yeast related rash. It is between his cheeks, completely around his anus, on his penis shaft, and even in his groin. 

So Monistat or any creams wouldn't sting putting them on open wounds? Most of it is open and raw. 

I'm definitely calling his pedi in the morning. 
  • jamu said:
    I'm so sorry! We had this happen too. The baby probiotics help, and then I only gave her bananas and cereal (and breastfeeding) for food. Also- naked booty time as much as possible. Our rash was really bad so it took a few days to really clear up a bit. Hope he feels better!
    So I'm just curious, because I've wanted to try naked booty time, how I should proceed with a boy? I don't want to get pee or poop on the carpet .. but he's mobile so it's hard to contain him to ONE blanket. 

How do you (or anyone) do it?
  • Def try triple paste. And make sure he's completely dry before you put his diaper on.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • jamu said:
    I'm so sorry! We had this happen too. The baby probiotics help, and then I only gave her bananas and cereal (and breastfeeding) for food. Also- naked booty time as much as possible. Our rash was really bad so it took a few days to really clear up a bit. Hope he feels better!
    So I'm just curious, because I've wanted to try naked booty time, how I should proceed with a boy? I don't want to get pee or poop on the carpet .. but he's mobile so it's hard to contain him to ONE blanket. 

How do you (or anyone) do it?

I'm not sure if it would sting. Can you contain him to one tiled/hardwood room? I know DS's favetoys nowadays are cabinets and drawers. So he's pretty entertained in the kitchen. Our cabinets are latched so he can only open them an inch or two. Diaper free time can always help, so definitely worth a try. Even if it is a mess.
  • As far as the booty time, I just put down spare bed sheets over the main carpeted areas and then hangout more towards the tile. We did several hours a day like this when it was really bad, and although it was 'messy', all I had to do was throw the sheets in the wash.
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I used bed sheets for my LO. I covered the entire living room floor because she will mostly hang out there. And she definitely peed and pooped on the floor. I layered the sheets so then took the top dirty one off. It helped tremendously though
  • Okay thank you all! I didn't even think of old sheets .. we'll try some when he's up from his nap. SO put butt paste on and it's been getting slightly better since last night. And we've been using the cool setting on the blow dryer during changes. 

LO's ex-pedi told us to never use any cream on any type of diaper rash. We've gotten a new pedi and new instructions.
  • I also put super super thick coats of aquaphor on which helped.

I guess it would depend on if yours is yeast or whatever though

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"