Late Term and Child Loss

Phantom baby kicks

I don't know if somebody has posted anything about this. Oh well, I'm just going to share it anyway. When I learned that my baby had said goodbye already, someone asked "didn't you feel your baby moving?". I felt like I was a bad mother negligent of my baby's health. But thinking back, I actually felt some kicking movements few days before we learned of the tragic news. However, according to the doctor the baby had been gone fore several days already. Every now and then, I would still feel baby kicks which reminds me of my baby. Sometimes it still feels so real, that I still have him. But I found out that phantom baby kicks are normal after pregnancy. This is such a bad tease for someone who lost a baby.

Re: Phantom baby kicks

• Although it never happened to me I've heard that feeling the baby kick after a loss is very normal. I can imagine how disheartening it would be. You are absolutely not a negligent mother...most often at that stage of pregnancy the baby's kicks aren't always regular! In my situation I actually found out my baby had passed after I went in to the doctor because I hadn't felt him at all for about 24 hours. Even so I kept wondering to myself if maybe I'd have noticed earlier or noticed that his movement was decreasing that I could've done something. I think its normal in this position to feel guilt but you have to remind yourself that you would've done anything to keep your baby alive which makes you an amazing mommy! :)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers'> 

• I did feel something after loosing my Olivia at 27 weeks. I thought I was crazy but I guess because I had grown used to feeling her move I thought I was still feeling her. 
    imageimageimageimageimage 

• Loading the player...
  • ***Siggy warning***

I still felt phantom movements a month after delivering my daughter. Its awful, but normal. You are not a bad mom for feeling them. 

Also, in my experience, her body still did move around after she passed. I had found out about noon one day that she passed, and didnt go into deliver until 7:30 that night. Because I was moving, her body was moving (obviously not on her own.) They were not kicks or anything.
    Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• I felt phantom kicks for a few weeks after her death.  I also would get weird ideas in my head like she was still alive and in there and the dr's made a mistake and she was ok.  I KNEW I was being irrational and crazy but the ideas would pop up every now and then. 

8/12-Suprise BFP- Sweet Bunny Born Sleeping 11/21/12 (19 weeks)

-5/7/13- MMC (8 Weeks)

11/6/13- BO discovered at 7 weeks- natural MC 11/25/13

8/14- Surpise IF dx...low AMH (.24)- moving on to IVF

IVF #1- 11/14- 6R5M4F=2 perfect frosties

12/19/14- FET of 2 embabies = BFP!!!  One Little Bean EDD: 9/3/15

Everyone Welcome.

• I felt phantom kicks for 3 weeks. Because I was told when I went in and found out Domenik's heart stopped, they told me he passed away 3 weeks prior. I even told my DH that I felt the baby move as we were in the waiting room the day we found out he passed. The doctor said what I felt was sort of the baby moving, because it was actually him floating and moving back and forth in the amniotic fluid. Hearing that sucked a whole bunch. I felt like such an idiot. And for about 2 weeks after delivery I still felt like Domenik was inside and still moving.

I totally know where your coming from. Sometimes I wish I could still feel some "phantom kicks". I miss my baby so much.

• Ticker warning

While they did lessen some over a six month period, I still felt phantom kicks for at least a solid 3 months that felt just like her kicks.  It's a very cruel thing our bodies do to us, especially in the first few days after a loss because it would take me a few seconds to realize that I was not pregnant anymore.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Im so sorry ladies. And yes this is a cruel thing our bodies do to us.
  • When I was in labor I had a crazy idea that maybe my baby would be alive when he came out. Argh!
  • I had phantom kicks for a few months after delivering my son. So awful :(
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • These are the worst. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I felt them until I was pregnant again. It sucks.

• Yeah, I've felt them after having both my girls.  Definitely sad :(

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The day I found out Emily died, I swore I felt her kick. I remember sobbing and asking my doctor why I could still feel her moving. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"