2nd Trimester

How would you feel?

This morning I woke up at 530 with sharp pain in my left side going around to my back. Called the doctors office when try opened and they had me come in right away heard the baby's heartbeat so the baby is fine but then the doctor told me I probably have kidney stones and prescribed me pain meds and said if it gets worse go to ER to confirm its kidney stones did no test nothing I'm not sure how I feel about this I don't thinks it's kidney stones doesn't hurt to go to the bathroom nothing this was the first time seein this doctor and not impressed as long as the baby is ok I'm happy but would like to know what is going on my body he said it's to high to be pain from things growing how would you feel if you were me

Re: How would you feel?

• I would have raised my concerns with my doctor and asked him to help me understand his/her line of thinking. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would call the office and ask for the doctor to call me back and explain things further.  I would also be very, very hesitate to take medication when you haven't had a confirmed diagnosis.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not good enough, ER is for emergencies, you are asking for investigatory/preventative care. Go see a PCP and request testing to find out. This is probably outside of an OB's specialty.
  • You really like the word nothing don't you?

I would listen to the Dr and if you're really that concerned go to the er and find out for sure if you have kidney stones.
    Supermom to my beautiful boys Troy Marshall and Griffin Xander 

Living the dream with my wonderful man :)
  • jgreig83jgreig83 member
    edited December 2013
    Actually, unless your doctor has an ultrasound machine there isn't much he can tell you. A urinalysis might show an increase in urine calcium or oxalate which could be a component in your kidney stones, but you would still need imaging to see if they are severely blocking the flow of urine into your bladder, or from your bladder to your urethra. At this point, I would think your doctor is making sense, go to emerg if it is bad enough. If you go they can scan you and see if you need a surgery to break down the stones so you can pass them. Hopefully it is not that serious and you can pass them on your own. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#1 BFP 26/May/2013 EDD 27/Jan/2014 MC at 5 weeks, 2 days 
    #2 BFP 04/Aug/2013 EDD April 18th, 2014. Baby M born May 2, 2014.

• What you doctor did was probably all he could do. Do as he said. In order to check for a kidney stone and be sure that is what it was you would need an ultrasound done. If it gets worse you will WANT to go to the ER. Kidney stones are very painful and if you don't know what it is it can also be really scary.

It's a BOY

• I would probably schedule an appt to get a second opinion. Stones usually resolve on their own though. Did you ask about treatment/diet to prevent them.

What else could it be do you think? However, I'm not sure why it matters how I would feel. You are obviously not satisfied. So, get a 2nd opinion.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I would probably schedule an appt to get a second opinion. Stones usually resolve on their own though. Did you ask about treatment/diet to prevent them.

What else could it be do you think? However, I'm not sure why it matters how I would feel. You are obviously not satisfied. So, get a 2nd opinion.

Stones don't always go away on their own. They can be very painful. You would need and ultrasound to see if you have them and how many are there.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Drink lots of water. Also some stones might pass but it can be extremely painful. If you can't pass them then surgery is another option.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(

Stones don't always go away on their own. They can be very painful. You would need and ultrasound to see if you have them and how many are there.
    Oh ok. Thank you for the correction. :)

I maintain that OP should get a second opinion.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Painful urination is a good indicator of a UTI but it's not always present with a kidney infection or kidney stones. Call your PCP and ask to speak with a nurse so they can triage your symptoms - they should be able to help direct you to the appropriate level of care.
  • I woke up with this one night and it ended up being a pinched nerve from the position I was sleeping in.

If u aren't happy with what the doctor told you, get a second opinion.
  • Well an OB is a specialty Dr and sounds like they suggested to go to the ER if it got worst. Don't see the confusion. I wouldn't expect my lady parts Dr to know shit about anything but lady parts and babies.

• It can be hard to detect kidney stones.  However they are generally diagnosed based on symptoms, sharp flank pain being the most important.  Drinking lots of water can help them pass, but passing them can be extremely painful, it's up to you and your pain threshhold.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"