Babies: 9 - 12 Months

XP: Amoxicillin

My DS started amox for a minor ear infection on Christmas Eve. It's prescribed for 10 days and he has developed a common diaper rash so bad that he screams bloody murder at every change. And it's given him diarrhea on top of it, which isn't helping. Any other moms with amoxicillin experience or some help for the rash? I'll probably be calling his ped tomorrow in hopes of a Saturday appt. His rash actually looks like burns. :(

Thanks.

Re: XP: Amoxicillin

• Acid poops are common with antibiotics, teething, and acidic foods. There really isn't much you can do for it. I like to slather LO's butt with coconut oil and this helps it from sticking on his booty. Stop using regular wipes and use a soft cloth and warm water to wipe him and if you put desitin on it do not wipe it off every change. Your just making it worse.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We ended up having to get nystatin cream for mine when he was on amoxicillin because he got a yeasty diaper rash. The antibiotics can cause a yeast overgrowth, which is normal, but doesn't mean it's not painful for baby. Unfortunately, most antibiotics cause upset stomach/diarrhea, so switching may not help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Luckily, butt paste and the cool setting on the blow dryer has really helped. I was told by our last pedi to never use diaper creams of any kind. So .. our new pedi okay'd it. Thank you all for your responses.
  • We've done a few rounds of amoxicillin for ear infections and just started one last night. Do you use probiotics? My pedi suggested those and yogurt. They help put back healthy bacteria in the gut. Hope LO feels better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We've done a few rounds of amoxicillin for ear infections and just started one last night. Do you use probiotics? My pedi suggested those and yogurt. They help put back healthy bacteria in the gut. Hope LO feels better soon!
    Yes, I forgot to mention the yogurt. He loves it and I've been offering more. It seems to come and go with severity but overall, I think it's better. Thank you :)
  • Probiotics and yogurt will help the upset tummy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"