Breastfeeding

Thrush-early catch?

Monday the pedi gave us nystatin for diaper rash -worked great. She looked for oral thrush but didn't see any. Yesterday I noticed my one nipple looks very pink and almost shiny. Letter it itched a little bit. Now they are both pink and a little puffy. They are not cracked or hurting in any way. It does not hurt to nurse DD. I tried to peek in her mouth but I can tell if the white I see actually wipes off.

I'm wondering if since it doesn't hurt could I have caught the infection very early, or am I guessing wrong because everyone says thrush hurts like hell. Thoughts?

The pedi had a nurse call me yesterday and have us an oral Rx for nystatin, but I don't want to give it if we don't need it.

What have your experiences been with thrush?

Re: Thrush-early catch?

• The oral med that the ped gave you is rubbed into the cheek and gums, so LO will not actually be ingesting it really. We had thrush when my LO was about the same age. Most of the medicine drooled out, since they have a strong tongue thrust at that age. You should call your OB and they can prescribe Diflucan for you. Both of you need to be treated to get rid of it, or you just pass it back and forth. I did have very pink nipples (the top of them) and would get shooting pains that went through from the base of my ribs to the nipple, but it wasn't constant. It could be just the early stage and you haven't gotten to the pain yet. Also try to go without a bra/top overnight so your nipples can dry out a little. That will help too. GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"