Working Moms
Options

Convo - resolved.

edited December 2013 in Working Moms
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Convo - resolved.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ClaryPax said:
    I disagree with previous poster.  I think you have the right to stand up for yourself.  Just so you know it is not really a male co-worker thing.  My female co-workers and even random strangers made lots of weird comments and jokes about my pregnancy. It sucked a lot and feel free to vent here.  I don't think the jokes you highlighted in themselves are all that bad but it probably is the frequency of them.  I would just say in the moment.  "Ok I would rather not hear about my pregnancy every single day.  We have a lot longer to go."  FYI this is why I didn't disclose my second pregnancy until 17 weeks.    If it continues past that then have a sit down. 

I agree with a lot of this.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    Looking for entertainment on my three hour drive. This looks promising....
  • Options
  • Options

Facepalm. Sorry CourtAndNate, MY BAD!

Iblamethebeer & @helenahanbasket. Unless these are well known snark trolls, then idgaf

There was nothing snarky in either of my responses.  This goes back to me saying you need a thicker skin.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options

I think you might benefit from a nap.

LOL @ my society.  I don't even know what that means.

Good luck with all of that.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! You mentioned not wanting to alienate yourself, So, sounds to me like your best course of action (at least for now) might be to ignore them. Honestly, I think a lot of people (girls and guys) make random comments and jokes about pregnancy because it's foreign to them and it's like they HAVE to say something. So maybe it's their weird way of trying to relate to you and your pregnancy? 
    photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    Ditto kimbus word for word. I imagine things getting really uncomfortable in your office after you tattle on your coworkers for behaving as they've always behaved and everyone starts going out of their way to ignore you.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think the time to say something was before you got pregnant. By saying something now I think you will come off as being hormonal and make it a hostile environment to work in. I'd suggest just ignoring them until you have your baby and don't laugh with them. If it continues after you have your baby then I think you'll have an easier time addressing the issue. Gl!
  • Options
    As a pregnant HR Executive who works with mostly men, I think you are way overreacting. Most men, especially those without children, don't know how to relate to a pregnant woman. The teasing is their way to relate. Brush it off, based on what you have described, this is not a big deal.
  • Options
    I think it's perfectly acceptable to say "Look, you guys know I'm really cool about most things, but for whatever reason, pregnancy is off limits until one of you pops a kid out. Okay?" Then just stick with clearing your throat, raising your eyebrows, and practicing your pissed off mom look. Will they think it's hormones? Yes. Should you care? Nope. I agree with your update that it's better to talk than email. A lot of this will be in tone, which is easily lost in email.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    I've worked very hard to maintain a neutral relationship with these guys, not flinching at every crass joke, even laughing along with them with the typical male humor.

This above is your third sentence to your original post. This is why everyone keeps asking WHY all of sudden you are annoyed and surprised by their comments.

And we all know how women get when they are pregnant. They ARE sensitive. We were all pregnant at least once on this board. So we get it. And it's okay to be sensitive about this! The comments about your body are absolutely not appropriate.

Honestly though, due to the nature of the relationship you have created over the past 8 months, I am not sure there is anything you can say without making things awkward. If you choose to confront them, they will never act the same way towards you again. This may not be a big deal, but if you need the relationships to complete your job, I think you need to decide if the repercussions of confronting them are worth it.

Best of luck to you with your job and the rest of your pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    daisy662daisy662 member
    edited December 2013
    Lawsuit for what exactly??? Saying you've eaten too many Cheetos? Good luck with that. Their comments are insensitive but that's about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options

OP it just seems confusing to people because it one breath you were stating how you have been tolerant of their jokes in the past and how you prefer working with men to women and now are saying that their behavior is completely unacceptable and worthy of some kind of intervention.  While I do not think commenting on any person's shape is acceptable it is common for people to make such comments to pregnant people.  It sucks but it is the truth.  I was guilty of it too before I actually became pregnant!  Never again will I make a "oh, you look like you're about to pop!" comment to anyone!  I am a nurse and work with mostly women and I still got a ton of awkward comments and was told that I looked either tiny or huge in the same day.  People commented on what I ate, how much I ate, etc.  The worst was when a female coworker of mine actually said, "well, I have to say I am enjoying watching your a** get wider!"  This was coming from a woman who not only had been pregnant before but hadh ad twins so she of all people should know it feels and still she said it. 

I am not telling you that you are not justified in feeling uncomfortable with their comments but I am telling you that you are not alone and that the guys probably do not mean anything malicious.  Pregnancy is just a sensitive awkward time that happens to be out in the open and some people just do not think about what they are actually saying.  I would either ignore it and not justify the comments with any response at all which should get them to stop without too much confrontation or maybe dish it back in the same tone, i.e. "hey tony, how would you feel if I followed you around talking about your beer gut all day?"  or even "thanks a lot, now I feel fat, jerk."  All of which will make your point without much drama involved.  Good luck and hopefully you can make it through the tough beginning and start enjoying the bump!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If you're offended and butt hurt over what people are saying to you now, you'll be suicidal by the time you hit third trimester. Like someone else said - you're not special and talking about something that no one here could possibly understand. We've ALL been pregnant here, some of us more than once. We've all had to deal with society and people talking about our bellies. Some comments are awkward, some are nice, some are rude. You need to learn how to either roll with the comments or learn some snarky comebacks to cope, because you're going to find out real soon that you can't police and control everything that other people say about you (that's something that even my 6 year old understands). And unless they're making horribly degrading or sexual remarks about you - and since you won't share what's being said, we're left to assume that they aren't - you're going to sound like a whiny b!tch crying about harassment because someone pointed out that your belly is bigger now.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Maybride2 said:

If you're offended and butt hurt over what people are saying to you now, you'll be suicidal by the time you hit third trimester. Like someone else said - you're not special and talking about something that no one here could possibly understand. We've ALL been pregnant here, some of us more than once. We've all had to deal with society and people talking about our bellies. Some comments are awkward, some are nice, some are rude. You need to learn how to either roll with the comments or learn some snarky comebacks to cope, because you're going to find out real soon that you can't police and control everything that other people say about you (that's something that even my 6 year old understands). And unless they're making horribly degrading or sexual remarks about you - and since you won't share what's being said, we're left to assume that they aren't - you're going to sound like a whiny b!tch crying about harassment because someone pointed out that your belly is bigger now.

No, she said what they said. Something about her baby will come out drinking and smoking and something about her not being pregnant, just that she ate too many Cheetos. I honestly think the guys are being chummy with her and mean nothing by it at all. I also don't consider those comment "extremely degrading" and "in reference to physical appearance" as another thread about this states.

OP, you got lots of great advice here. It's fine that these comments bother you. The next time they are said, just say, "alright, that's enough," and smile. The guys will get the hint. If you make it any bigger, yes they will rightfully blame your hormones.

Oh, and DDs suck. That's not going to win you any support either.

• Options
    VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited December 2013
    So what if you deleted your OP, I'll reply anyway. I don't think you "earned" or "deserve" the comments, but like everyone said, it happens to every.single.one of us when pg, so you have to decide for yourself how much of an impact you want this to have on your relationship with them. Drafting a letter? Major impact. Telling them, "alright, no more pregnant jokes, time for some new material", when they say something? Probably not going to do any harm to your relationship, and they should stop after you say it once or twice.

FWIW, at the end of the day, you will have to develop thicker skin. Not necessarily with your coworkers (because if you don't like it, then they need to stop), but because strangers and family will also have things to say both now, and once your baby is here. It happens. People say stupid sh*t to pg women and moms. You just have to learn to deal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Seriously, this is getting taken way out of context. I never said I'd start a lawsuit, don't put words in my mouth. Delete thread please! I want nothing further from any of you, so go back to regularly scheduled lives.

You want nothing further from people on this thead, yet you keep checking this thread. Right.

• Options
    honestly I think that this is just the way that many guys rib each other & they feel comfortable w/ you and therefore are ribbing you the same way they'd do so to each other. there are a lot of differences in gender communication & joking...MH was telling me once how someone at work commented on how his sweater could win the ugly sweater competition and someone else made some other joke about his clothes & it did not seem to faze him in the slightest, he thought it was funny, and he had only worked there a couple of months. Guys are way less sensitive than we are and I think it is just their way sometimes. Obviously not all men or all women are like this, I'm just saying based on observations of male friends over time, family members, facebook conversations etc.

So, I would try to see it almost like affectionate if you can, and maybe just go back at them next time someone makes a joke and say I know you're joking and don't mean anything by it but if you could chill with the pregnancy jokes, that would be cool. and leave it at that.

just my .02.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

Because I deleted everything and you came back yet again to make some rude comment

Instead of making a public scene for everyone to feed on with snark, I pm'ed you. Is this really hard to understand? 

I'll let you have the last word since that is obviously most important to someone like you.
    I don't think you understand how message boards work.

Or that deleting is considered rude, as is telling people to end the thread.

image image
  • Options
    I haven't seen any demonizing. I think you're butthurt because people didn't agree with you. And BTW, being pregnant is not some personal, intimate thing...giving birth might be, but being pregnant is very public. People will stare and comment for the next 29 weeks. That's just life.
  • Options
    VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited January 2014

Hold up... you think you've been demonized here??? You're sure proving to everyone that you don't overreact, aren't you..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"