January 2014 Moms

WTF gifts - please post your photos

Sorry this is so mean. I got a few WTF presents yesterday (after begging everyone to not get us gifts to prevent this very thing haha).

It is very mean of me, but I just had to share what I got from my very stylish sister (does she hate me?)

Anyone else get anything they want to share?

Re: WTF gifts - please post your photos

• What in the heck is that? If you're a cat lady you might appreciate that ;)
    CafeMom Tickers
  • We just bought a house, and have planted a really nice wee garden, so it's meant to go in it. I have 4 cats, I still find it hideous haha! I might put it behind a tree so I can't see it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I loved your post because that gift totally cracked me up. Wtf is that haha.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's... Umm... Abstract? Haha.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • My other sister got something similar, from a different person, a bull made of metal in the same style, to keep outside, and fill with ice and beer. We were wondering maybe if we just have bad taste and these things are really cool?
  • No, no. They're not that cool lol.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• I kinda like him! I think he'd be cute in a garden :)
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • ashleywiz said:
    What in the heck is that? If you're a cat lady you might appreciate that ;)
    @ashleywiz -- I'm curious, why would someone who like cats (as in, the live animals) automatically like something like that? It's an honest question because I have 3 cats and my SIL gets me weird things like that. And I think they are all hideous and either throw them away or donate them. What a waste of money. I'm just wondering if there actually is some kind of (incorrect) perception that people have...

• Arya808 said:
    ashleywiz said:
    @ashleywiz -- I'm curious, why would someone who like cats (as in, the live animals) automatically like something like that? It's an honest question because I have 3 cats and my SIL gets me weird things like that. And I think they are all hideous and either throw them away or donate them. What a waste of money. I'm just wondering if there actually is some kind of (incorrect) perception that people have...

@peanutmuse Bc when you own a cat (let alone 3) people love to automatically assume that you're a crazy cat lady. I get quite a bit of weird cat gifts too, and I only own one. 
    @arya08 -- my question is WHY do people think that? I do get cat gifts that are somewhat cute (funny cocktail napkins and such) and then there are the really strange ones -- such as the cat salt shaker and fishbowl pepper shaker. Personally, I would never pick out something that I know someone would find tacky, so my question is why would anyone assume that a person who likes cats automatically likes tacky things? Just so all of you cat-haters know, you are mistaken about this generalization. All it does is make you look like you have really bad taste if you pick out a gift like that. :)

FTR, I don't really 'like' cat-themed anything, including funny cocktail napkins.
  • Arya808 said:
    peanutmuse said:

FTR, I don't really 'like' cat-themed anything, including funny cocktail napkins.
    @peanutmuse It's just a ridiculous stereotype. It's so easy to tell a normal cat-owner apart from a crazy cat lazy. I completely agree -- it just shows that they have bad taste. Although, I must admit that I do love the cat-themed jammies that my MIL gave me last year for xmas. 
    @arya808, well..... I actually might make an exception for Christmas cat jammies.  :)
  • lol... please don't judge me (a lot)--------> I liked the weird cat (and I am a dog person!) lol

Can I blame the pregnancy for that?????lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That cat is... interesting? :)

I don't have a pic, but my sister and BIL (who make tons of money, not that it's about money) got DH and I a combined gift. It's a spray shower head. No idea why they thought we wanted/needed one...
  • That cat is... interesting? :) I don't have a pic, but my sister and BIL (who make tons of money, not that it's about money) got DH and I a combined gift. It's a spray shower head. No idea why they thought we wanted/needed one...
    @cnwilbur1030 -- hmmmmm, do they have one and love it? Sometimes people do things like that. (My husband and sister are sometimes guilty of that type of gift-giving, actually.)
  • peanutmusepeanutmuse member
    edited December 2013
    @blue_elle (dammit, that tag probably won't work. Oh well.) Anyway, we should build a virtual nursery with all the weird gifts we've received. Your piss colored rug, plus my creepy abandoned clown doll poster-size photo:

(In case anyone needs a reminder...)

ETA: It did work. yay!
  • My techie BIL (also mentioned in the AW gift post and how awesome he is for not only refurbishing a computer for us so we didn't have to buy a desktop but ALSO gifting us a new Windows Surface) got H a set of pillows that look like old Nintendo games and he got me old school looking Nintendo game controllers for games on my iPad.

H doesn't like "things." He hates anything that could be remotely construed as clutter. What he'll do with the game pillows is anyone's guess. And I don't have any games on my iPad. :P I love my BIL but he does this every year. He HAS to get you something funky even if you'll never use it.

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • @peanutmuse that picture still creeps me out!
    Your idea of a nursery of others gifted randomness would be funny to see.
  • My brother gave SO and I each a curtain rod. Two totally different styles and sizes and neither the size of our windows.... We did just get a house in September and hang curtains so I think he was thinking of that?
  • FIL filled DHs and his brothers' stockings with different kinds of floss/oral care products... And he kept yelling "You gotta take care of your teeth!" .... I'm actually glad I got pacifiers and baby accessories.
  • @peanutmuse - I missed the story of this poster. Why is someone trying to scare your baby?

@bookshelves - excellent idea. You never know when you might need to poke someone. In fact, might be a good way to wake DH 
    :D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• ashleywiz said:

@peanutmuse I was totally kidding(hence wink face). I don't actually think if you're into any kind of animal that you like the ridiculously ugly things that are dedicated to said animal. I just thought it was funny, honestly and was weakly attempting to joke about it. 
    CafeMom Tickers
  • ashleywiz said:
    ashleywiz said:

@peanutmuse I was totally kidding(hence wink face). I don't actually think if you're into any kind of animal that you like the ridiculously ugly things that are dedicated to said animal. I just thought it was funny, honestly and was weakly attempting to joke about it. 
    @ashleywiz, I understand. It was actually an honest question because I never really thought about it... but have received weird cat gifts, and it made me wonder if there was actually some thought process that went along with it, lol.
  • blue_elle said:
    @peanutmuse - I missed the story of this poster. Why is someone trying to scare your baby?

@blue_elle -- my MIL gave that to me as my birthday gift (my bday was Dec 13th) to "put in the baby's room." My husband told her there was no way that was going in the baby's room, it would give him nightmares. We had a nice little discussion about it in the UO thread last week. :)
  • Ok... so my DH's brother and his long-term girlfriend (they live together & have two children) got us a Disney ornament (I'm at work, so no pic), but you need to hear the back story to really appreciate this gift.

We spend about $75 each on my niece and nephew each and every Christmas, and have never gotten a single gift from BIL or his girlfriend. This might be selfish of me, but the least you could do is throw a candle in a gift bag and give it to us. Yet every year they show up to our house empty handed and then cart away all the gifts that we got for their children. We used to also buy them presents, but quit, because they were never thankful and never got us anything. Luckily, the kids are super thankful for everything we give them.

So we saw BIL over the past weekend, and he made a big deal of telling us that our niece insisted that she have a gift to give us for Christmas this year. So he took her shopping "all day" for the perfect gift. DH and I were then debating getting BIL and his girlfriend something, since they were actually getting us a gift this year. We had decided to get them a gift card to a restaurant, but with everything going on this week, we just didn't get around to it. I actually felt guilty. THEN I open up our gift, and it is a Disney ornament. SERIOUSLY? You can only imagine how upset I would have been if I would have spent $100 on a gift certificate for them. UGH!

Baby Lexi: BFP: May 12, 2013 (Mother's Day), EDD: January 21, 2014
  • ashleywiz said:
    ashleywiz said:

@ashleywiz, I understand. It was actually an honest question because I never really thought about it... but have received weird cat gifts, and it made me wonder if there was actually some thought process that went along with it, lol.
    @peanutmuse -- Oh gosh, I hope not, haha. Especially because there is a huge difference between someone who merely enjoys having an animal, no matter what kind, and being obsessed to where you would desire inanimate objects that are of the animal persuasion. A couple years ago my hubs grandma sent us our Christmas presents and I received a taxidermy squirrel dressed in a Santa suit. I almost died(from laughter or terror, I'm still unsure). I think we mentioned once on the phone there aren't squirrels in Hawaii, and.... TA-daaaaa. Anyway, unless you're over the age of 60 and have talked about your collection (thinking of my great aunt and her scary pig obsession), I don't understand why people gift those things either.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • ashleywiz said:
    A couple years ago my hubs grandma sent us our Christmas presents and I received a taxidermy squirrel dressed in a Santa suit.
    @ashleywiz, I think that would be a WONDERFUL addition to our virtual nursery. (See posts above.)
  • I am loving this ugly nursery idea!

• I got an interesting set of gifts in the mail from my mom....

-a bottle of body mist from mark. with the kind of pump used for hand soap, not a spray pump
    -a series of little toothpick ornaments. It looks like she tried to find one that looked like each of our pets but then lost track and got random fugly ones
    -a nursing gown from my registry; the gown is one size, the robe is another size
    -a set of plush cribs sheets that immediately made me think of baby being overheated and SIDS 
    -she reserved 2 packs of cloth diapers from my registry months ago and sent one pack for Christmas which is the wrong kind
  • Oh, and 2 re-gifted Target gift cards. One was a Visa card for $25. The other was a Happy Birthday style card. I looked up the balance...originally it had $50 but was gifted to me with $1.99.
  • @peanutmuse   My ex-MIL used to get me cat-related things. All she knew about me was my favorite color and that I had a cat, even when I was married to her son. Every Christmas I opened about ten gifts all of which were purple or had to do with cats: earrings, pictures, ugly house decorations, etc. I think it was just her way of getting me something slightly more personal than a gift card (which I truly would have preferred), but not actually having to put in effort to get to know me and what I might like. 
  • mrsbeers said:
    I got an interesting set of gifts in the mail from my mom....

-a bottle of body mist from mark. with the kind of pump used for hand soap, not a spray pump
    -a series of little toothpick ornaments. It looks like she tried to find one that looked like each of our pets but then lost track and got random fugly ones
    -a nursing gown from my registry; the gown is one size, the robe is another size
    -a set of plush cribs sheets that immediately made me think of baby being overheated and SIDS 
    -she reserved 2 packs of cloth diapers from my registry months ago and sent one pack for Christmas which is the wrong kind
    I think you win the prize for the worst package ever. The $1.99 gift card seals the deal.

Baby Lexi: BFP: May 12, 2013 (Mother's Day), EDD: January 21, 2014
  • My mother have me a copy of the US ARMY field survival guide.... Um I'm outdoorsy in the way that I like to drink on patios... I don't need to know what roots are ok to eat...
  • Also forgot to mention the thermometer she sent which is a forehead scanner but super cheap and very poorly rated...and not what we registered for. (Can I note that the exergen on our registry is on sale for just $10 more than what she paid right now? And that we now have 3 baby thermometers in the house?)

And she sent DH the exact ihome alarm clock he's been wanting...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"