Baby Showers

Guest list

My amazing sis n law and BF are throwing my first baby shower. It's being held at my sis n laws house. I really didn't want to invite more than 30 ladies. I invited our families and my friends. But I just found out that my mother in law told the host(her daughter) that she needed to invite all her friends. About 12 extra ladies that I really don't know. I'm just afraid there won't be enough space. Not to mention more food, drinks, and thank you gifts. Should I just let it go or should I say something?

Re: Guest list

• Anflires04Anflires04 member
    edited December 2013
    The host doesn't mind. The my BF who's helping doesn't know yet.
    I felt it was a little strange too. It's her fifth grandchild. If it was her first I would understand a little more.
  • My MIL invited a handful of ladies that I didn't know at all to my bridal shower. Her reasoning? "If I had to go to all of their daughters' things, they can come to mine." I threw up in my mouth a little bit when she said that.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • A little weird, but if the host is okay, I guess it's okay. I'm on the same page as PP though, I didn't realize that showers have suddenly become the new invite everyone you know thing. I guess I can see it more if it's the mother inviting her friends to her daughter's shower, because she probably went to all of her friends daughters' showers, but I don't get it for MIL/DILs.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anflires04Anflires04 member
    edited December 2013
    I don't know proper etiquette on these things. I've never had a bridal shower, reception, etc. We opted for a private beach wedding... Just the 2 of us. I have to admit I'm slightly irritated that MIL didn't even ask me if it was okay. I imagined my shower being fresh and fun party. Now half the guests are over 50... Just not what I had in mind. But since the host doesn't mind I will keep my mouth shut.
  • I would imagine your hostesses will set a certain tone for your party.  I really can't imagine that inviting your MILs friends will really affect the overall tone all that much. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• My MIL had a whole shower for me peopled entirely by her friends. I thought it was weird and awkward, but from hanging around this board, I think it's actually pretty common for MILs to want to invite their friends. As the guest of honor, not a hostess, I would totally stay out of this one. Yeah, it might be a little awkward, but it's not your party to plan, you know?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"