March 2013 Moms

Things MIL say... Share yours!

So my MIL and FIL were invited to my side of the families Christmas Eve celebration this year. We thought it would be nice to include them since it's their first Christmas with a grandchild, and we all get along very well.

Which makes me super disappointed to share this...

Apparently, MIL pulled DH to the side at some point during the night, and told him "what is this?" Referencing to the food we were having. Every year we switch up getting food catered, and this year we did Mexican food, which she hates and thinks is gross, but you can't make everyone happy!

She told DH, "what is this, it's disgusting, tomorrow I'll make you real food, not this garbage."

It hit a nerve, because we invited them over, paid for their portion of the game we play, waited an hour for them to arrive, while everyone else was on time, to start the evening, etc.

If you don't like something, fine, but at least be gracious! She is one who only thinks her cultures food is amazing, won't go out to eat, because her cooking is best, and nobody knows spices like her. Granted their food is good, but she's no award winning chef!

Please, share your version of "what MIL say!"
Me: 30 | DH:34
Married: 08/04/12
DD: 6 years | Born: 03/28/13
DS: 1 Year I Born 10/15/17

Re: Things MIL say... Share yours!

• My MIL always says horrid things and then claims she doesn't know she's being offensive. Before me and DH got married (we were about 4-5 months away from our wedding) MIL met one of my husbands co workers and decide to call her his soul mate! She went on and on about how she's never met anyone so close in personality to him and blah blah. How they were just perfect for each other. Everyone was horrified and tried to change the subject but she kept going on and on. We left and I was on fire. You'd think that was the end of it but it wasn't. Then we went over there for dinner one night and she asks him how her "daughter" is. When she said daughter she was referring to this woman who she met 1-2x. Then the next time we were there she sent home a piece of cake for him and one for her. None for me. This is 1 of 10 million stories of horror.
  • My MIL always says horrid things and then claims she doesn't know she's being offensive. Before me and DH got married (we were about 4-5 months away from our wedding) MIL met one of my husbands co workers and decide to call her his soul mate! She went on and on about how she's never met anyone so close in personality to him and blah blah. How they were just perfect for each other. Everyone was horrified and tried to change the subject but she kept going on and on. We left and I was on fire. You'd think that was the end of it but it wasn't. Then we went over there for dinner one night and she asks him how her "daughter" is. When she said daughter she was referring to this woman who she met 1-2x. Then the next time we were there she sent home a piece of cake for him and one for her. None for me. This is 1 of 10 million stories of horror.

What the H is wrong with that woman?!

My mom says the most annoying tripe not my MIL.

Yesterday she was over with my Grammy and sister and I started nursing DD. She said,"it's so great that you can be the mom I always wanted to be and never could because we were living in so much evil."

Don't ask me what she means by that except that she only ever acknowledges her parental failings when she can lay the blame somewhere else or make excuses for it. If I want to talk about something that hurt me she changes the subject or denies that it happened. Thank God for therapy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess mine is more what my MIL didn't say.  She is in a snit over our decisions regarding DD's baptism and hasn't been speaking to us for months, but of course we were still expected to attend Christmas today.  We arrived and she refused to speak to us, or acknowledge us in any way for nearly 30 minutes when she finally smiled at DD and wished her a Merry Christmas.  
    I wanted to leave so badly, but DH feels an obligation to his dad so we stayed.  It was awful.
  • It my mom that's the crazy one, not my mil.

My mom didn't even see my dd today for her first Christmas. She lives 20 minutes from our house and 5 minutes away from my grandparents, where we were all day. I refuse to go to where she lives because she and her bff who she lives with smoke in the house. And have for 15+ years..like chain smoke. And my moms bff has two small dogs who aren't trained what so ever and they nip at people. When we were talking about how she wasn't going to see dd on Christmas she tried to make me feel bad for not going over there so I told her she's known since I was pregnant that I wouldn't go so she said

"yeah, but I figured that would change over time, it's not a big deal it's not like is smoke in the house while y'all are here,"

..are you kidding me? She keeps holding on to this idea that I'm going to wake up one day and change my mind about all my rules for my daughter. Like no giving the 9 month old diet coke, no smoking around the baby, no letting the baby chew your pill bottles, etc. she says crap like that all the time. Thank god for my wonderful mil lol
  • egb+jaf said:

It my mom that's the crazy one, not my mil.

My mom didn't even see my dd today for her first Christmas. She lives 20 minutes from our house and 5 minutes away from my grandparents, where we were all day. I refuse to go to where she lives because she and her bff who she lives with smoke in the house. And have for 15+ years..like chain smoke. And my moms bff has two small dogs who aren't trained what so ever and they nip at people. When we were talking about how she wasn't going to see dd on Christmas she tried to make me feel bad for not going over there so I told her she's known since I was pregnant that I wouldn't go so she said

"yeah, but I figured that would change over time, it's not a big deal it's not like is smoke in the house while y'all are here,"

..are you kidding me? She keeps holding on to this idea that I'm going to wake up one day and change my mind about all my rules for my daughter. Like no giving the 9 month old diet coke, no smoking around the baby, no letting the baby chew your pill bottles, etc. she says crap like that all the time. Thank god for my wonderful mil lol

This sound like my mom'shouse only the dogs are big lab mixes and they have 8 cats. My mom and sister live together and they are in denial about their house stinking so bad that they (and the books that they buy for DD) reek of it! They are in denial about a great many things so I am not surprised.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"