December 2012 Moms
Options

Salt free anyone?

I'm frustrated at my mom. She's a pain in the butt guest. Most people with dietary issues that we entertain are awesome about figuring out something that they can eat (like my gluten free friend that will eat the meat and veggies, being her own dinner roll, and is gracious that I keep ice cream in the freezer for dessert while she's here) or will bring their own (had vegan friends on college that would just bring along something to share that they knew was for sure okay). I don't have those kinds of dietary issues, but do have preferences against seafood. When I was at a party on Saturday, all the apps had seafood on them. I had some crackers and called it good... No problem, certainly didn't call the hostess to demand a non-fish dinner.

So, back to my mom. She's decided that she should be on a no-salt diet (technicality that she'll still eat half an order of McDs fries if you come over, but whatever). Now she's demanding that I overhaul the entire menu for her, and if it's too much of a bother, she just won't come, etc. I need ideas for sides that'll go with prime rib and for apps that are salt free. I had planned on green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and bread, but apparently none of those are okay. All I can come up with for apps is a veggie tray, but I've never seen her eat a raw veggie like that in my life. Help!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Salt free anyone?

• Options
    I found a website that may have some ideas...there are some things on there that sound really good, like these Hasselback potatoes. Personally, if it were me, I'd make 1 or 2 dishes (smaller portions if it's not something you think everyone else would like) for her and then just stick to the rest of the menu as planned

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you pull out portions of the green beans and mashed potatoes for her before you season them?

I've actually stopped salting pretty much all my cooking, due to the low sodium recommendations for babies, and have been surprised by the degree to which it's not noticeable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure that I would accommodate a demand like you described above, but can't you still do mashed potatoes and set a small portion aside and leave it plain? Pretty much everything has sodium in it, even veggies. Can you do a mozzarella/tomato app?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    Yeah.. I'm not sure if I would accommodate a demand like that? "Make salt free dishes or I'm not coming?" Fine, that's HER problem if she misses out on the fun and doesn't get to see her grandbaby.

If anything I would simply pull out a small portion of whatever you're making before adding salt. Or just tell her certain dishes are salt free even if they're not... ;)
  • Options
    I agree w/pp's. Set aside plain sides and do the rest as you had already planned. She can bring a couple of items to supplement if she wants. I think it's unreasonable to say "change your entire menu or I won't be there". 
    photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I used to do low/minimal salt. make a plain baked potato or yam in the oven for her. Have minimal salt involved in seasoning on the meat (i.e. no soy sauce in the marinaide), and set aside some green beans and just steam them in tge microwave. No butter. Finding specialized no salt breads are next to impossibe & are flavorless. Something that does not rise is more likely to have less salt (i.e. hala bread, corn tortillas). Would maybe have some cooked pears (or some other fruit). There is a bullion that has like zero salt (baby asleep on me so cannot get up to look) however doubt would be needed. Might also steam broccoli & carrots (fresh) & that is pleanty dinner wise.

Los Padrinos brand makes a good salt free tortilla chip. Mash up alvacados on their own, or add in dice tomato, onion, garlic (plus chile pepper if some spice is desired) & that is great! I have seen the Padrinos no salt added chips at Safeway (sometimes); sometimes Trader Joes has salt free chips, same with Whole Foods (but Padrinos brand is much better than the Whole Foods store brand). Some hummis (Trader Joes carries a garlic one that is great)

Most desserts tend to be ok (unless there are gobs of salted butter in it). Also sliced fruit would work.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @SingleMom1 what did you end up serving & how'd it go?
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry about your frustrations! Have you asked her for meal suggestions?
    Love my Airman
  • Options
    @littlefish1 - It ended up going as well as it could have. She had the same mashed potatoes as everyone else, we did some green beans separately (otherwise there was green bean casserole, and she objected to the salt in that), and we did the meat altogether (with a little salt in the seasoning, but we gave her an inside piece, so there wasn't a ton). For dessert, she ate what everyone else did - funny since she knows both things have salt. *eyeroll* Oh, and for apps, I did chips and various dips, and did salt-free chips for her (like just baked corn tortillas to make corn chips). Thanks for asking!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"