Texas Babies
Options

Looking for someone who has given birth at university hospital med center

Hey, I'm a first timer and due to complications I had a hard time finding an obgyn to work with. I love the one I found but not thrilled that it means I have to have my baby at University Med Center. Does anyone have experience giving birth here? I'd love to know what the experience was like and if you know about options they allow for during labor (are they cool with different birthing techniques, using a bar, squatting, birthing ball, etc?)

Re: Looking for someone who has given birth at university hospital med center

• Options
    Didn't deliver there but you might try contacting some of the Bradley instructors or doulas in town to get the 411 on the hospital. Also sign up to take a tour and you can ask those questions. Finally some things like constant monitoring vs intermittent, pushing positions and IV or hep lock are made by your doctor. If your planning a natural birth you should write up a birth plan and bring it in to an appointment to discuss with your doctor. Also remember you can negotiate with the doctor. I went past my due date with my second and my doctor wanted to induce at 41 weeks and I wanted to wait till 42. We settled on 41wk 5 days with extra monitoring. I ended up beating the induction clock by two days but if I had just agreed to her initial offer I would have been induced.

ETA my doula had a friend who just delivered twins there naturally with the second being frank breech. I think she said they made her deliver in the OR but they at least gave her the chance to.
  • Options

I delivered there and had a great experience.  It is a teaching hospital so you will see a lot of people coming in and out checking on you.  When it came down to pushing though there was just my doctor, another doctor (I'm not exactly sure if she was a resident or fellow or what - in the heat of it all I didn't really feel like asking, ya know?) and my nurse.  Oh yeah, and DH!  

They discussed my birthplan as soon as I was in the L&D room.  They didn't push either natural childbirth or an epidural on me.  It was always my choice. And when DH kept telling the nurse I was making the face on the pain chart for the 8 or 9 so I needed my epi now, she asked me what I wanted (which was to hold off) because I was the one in labor, not him.  (I know that may sound a bit rude but DH is pushy so she had my back.)

They followed our wishes with no formula (in fact I think that was a question in the birthplan) and no pacifiers because i wanted to EBF.  Oh, and the lactation consultants were life savers!!  They have one 24/7 and we had them come down several times to help. 

Good luck! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi I'm Jessica I had all 3 of my kids theatre and loved it a lot the dr's and ever one was so nice to me I wold love to go back but cat have no more kid. U shod go there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"