Preemies
Options

switching formula & solids

Hi ladies! I apologize I've been MIA for a while. It's been beyond hectic since I returned to work.

My girls are 4 months actual and 2.5 months adjusted. Thankfully they're doing well. Our pediatrician is ready for us to switch to regular formula because A is in the 95th percentile and G is in the 85th percentile. My question to those that have made the switch from preemie formula to regular is did you just switch cold turkey or mix the two over time? Did you notice any stomach issues?

Second part... the pediatrician said we can introduce stage 1 baby food and rice cereal once a day at 4 months. She said going by their actual age is fine. I am uneasy about this because they're really only 2.5 months. When did you all introduce solids?

A acts like she's starving all the time on neosure. Once we switch to the lower calorie formula I fear that her appetite will only increase. I'm so torn on when to introduce anything other than formula.

Thanks for reading and happy holidays!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: switching formula & solids

• Options
    I don't have any advice, but I was wondering the same thing. LO is almost 5mos actual, 2.5 adjusted and have been wondering when they suggest starting solids. We're still on preemie formula, but she's still a peanut. You said your girls are 85th/95th percentile...I'm assuming preemie chart?

Anyway, thanks for asking and hopefully someone has some insight!
  • Options
    Kelly_12Kelly_12 member
    edited December 2013
    We got the ok from our ped to give solids at 5.5 mos, which is 3mos adjusted. He said to go by his signs he's ready, he's super interested in food, sitting up in his high chair good etc.
    We've only tried rice cereal twice so far, took a couple teeny spoonfuls but he seemed intrigued lol.
    Goodluck!
    I'm no help with the formula..we are still all boob.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our pedi also said we could start at 4 months actual, 2 months adjusted. We waited a few more weeks and then tried cereal. He didn't do well with it, just gagged and spit it out. So I waited a few more weeks and tried veggies. He loves them!!!! I'm not sure if he wasn't quite ready or if it was the texture of the rice. (I gag on certain food textures, like Greek yogurt) Anyway, we've now tried all veggies and he's doing amazing!!! I think if your babies are at all interested and have good head control, give it a shot. Especially for your LO that's hungry all the time. Just be sure to stick with one at a time and go for atleast three days (we go 6-7 days) before switching so you can be on the lookout for a reaction. We are just getting ready to start trying fruits mixed with oatmeal so we will go to two feedings a day. That being said. He's not eating a whole lot. Our little 1st stage foods last 3 days per canister, with some leftover. Oh also, pay attention to ingredients is you're buying foods. (Rather than making) I buy the ones that contain only veggie and water. The fruits contain acsorbic acid too but they all do. I do not buy the Gerber organics, they contain tuna oil!!!!

I find it interesting you're okay to switch formulas. I'm going to talk to our pedi at our 6 month. Our LO is up around the 75th percentile (preemie) for weight. I'm just curious if he intends for us to stay on for a year or if we would change at some point.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Options
    My boys are just about 6m actual / 4.5 adjusted and we haven't started yet. We just has their 6mo well visit on Fri and she said to start. Honestly, I'm in no rush. I'll get there. They aren't sitting unassisted yet and they just started grabbing at objects and bringing them to their mouth.

No help on the formula, we BF. One is 70% and the other is 50% on the preemie chart.

• Options
    Thanks for all the info! We're switching because they're in the 95th and 85th percentile on full term baby charts!
  • Options

Thanks for all the info! We're switching because they're in the 95th and 85th percentile on full term baby charts!

Wow that's awesome!!

They gave me their %ile on the preemie chart while at the appt and then on the print out we took w us it had the FT chart. 0.44% and 1.86%. Peanuts.

• Options
    The amount of weight they're gaining is borderline ridiculous! We probably should have switched them to regular formula last month. 
  • Options
    My boys are just about 6m actual / 4.5 adjusted and we haven't started yet. We just has their 6mo well visit on Fri and she said to start. Honestly, I'm in no rush. I'll get there. They aren't sitting unassisted yet and they just started grabbing at objects and bringing them to their mouth. 
    Thank you for this because it is exactly how I feel.
  • Options
    My lo still hasn't made it to the 5th percentile but we switched when she was 5 weeks to a different formula and she got oatmeal cereal in her bottle because she had horrible stomach pain and reflux which I kept telling the nicu but they didn't listen. She seemed to be less ravenous then on the fancy preemie formulas. Because she has been getting cereal we just this week started giving her oatmeal by spoon. The gi person said there was a study done and it didn't matter whether you waited or not. She said at 5 months we can start fruits and veggies. I think it's too early to start your LOs on stage 1 foods.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"