August 2014 Moms
Options

What did you VOW you would never do with your kids, but had to eat your words after they arrived?

Mine is cosleeping. I was totally in the "how could you let your kid sleep with you!!" camp, before I was a parent. DS didn't sleep with us until he was 4 months old, and then my life changed when we were visiting a friend who coslept with her son and I gave it a go. I was a new person with the additional sleep. Now I am firmly in the "do whatever gets everyone in the house the most sleep" camp. DS goes to sleep in his bed and winds up in ours for the majority of the night. Love the snuggles. And the extra sleep!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What did you VOW you would never do with your kids, but had to eat your words after they arrived?

• Options
    Yeah, cosleeping. DD slept in the rnp next to our bed for the first few months, no problem. Then I slowly started bringing her into bed with us in the morning, which in turn led to all night sleeping at one point. It only lasted a couple months and we were able to transition her into her crib. But hey, Mama needed sleep and cosleeping was the best way to get it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    we got her an iPad for her 2nd birthday. I SWORE against all tv/computers/apps until 5 years old. *walk of shame*
    {May Siggy Challenge}
    Favorite TV mom: Janelle's Mom

BabyFruit Ticker
    Flor Maria
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Co-sleeping.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    My 3 year old starts off the night sleeping with us just about every night.  We play musical beds in our house all night long.  The only one who stays put (in her crib) is DD.  I'm wondering what'll happen when baby 3 arrives.  I'm hoping when I put DS and DD (who is just about to turn 1) in the same room, maybe, just MAYBE DS will decide to stay put in his room with his sister sharing a room.  One can hope, right?

I said I would never have kids sleeping with us, except for special occasions-yep, eating those words.

However, my son has really bad allergies and extreme eczema, which keeps him awake a lot during the night, due to scratching-despite all the cremes and meds he is on.  I have a feeling if his allergies and eczema weren't so severe, he would be a heavier sleeper and be able to stay put in his bedroom.

• Options
    mislogis said:

Notta thing. I aimed low, so I wouldn't be disappointed in myself :)

Just about this.

• Options
    JennyfahhJennyfahh member
    edited December 2013
    Add me to team tablet. I also never thought I'd cloth diaper, BF past a year or bedshare. Also, I knew nothing about babies til I had mine so yeah.
    Books.  Blogs.  Battlestar Galactica.  

Tiny Man 05/31/2012  I Tinier Man 07/28/2014
  • Options
    Mine is eating at the table. But that went by the wayside when we realized our kitchen was too small for both the table and the high chair. We actually moved the table into our back room for a while but it was so cold. We ended up sealing off the room f for the first time since moving in 4 years ago. Our house is now soooooo much warmer and I cannot BELIEVE how cold the back room is since we shut it off. The high chair is in our living room and we eat in front of the TV every meal.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Never in a million years did I think I would cloth diaper.

"Love is what makes pain bearable." - I love you my Angels. 
    **All After a Loss Welcome**
    BFP #1: 6/25/09 EDD 2/13/10 @ 6 weeks- Saw HB @ 9 weeks - DS born 2/11/10 (39w5d)
    BFP #2: 2/20/13 EDD 11/4/13 - Saw HB 3/19/13 (7w2d) - MMC discovered 4/13/13 (10w5d) - Est. loss @ 9w3d - D&C 4/14/13
    BFP #3: 12/19/13 (4 w1d) EDD 8/27/14 - 1/1/14 discovered it was ectopic/ tube had burst/ had surgery to remove tube (@ 6 weeks)
    BFP #4: 9/10/14 (3w6d) EDD 5/21/15 - natural MC 9/23/14 @ 5w5d
    BFP #5: 11/23/14 (3w3d) EDD 8/4/15 - Please be our Rainbow!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Notta thing. I aimed low, so I wouldn't be disappointed in myself :)
    Just about this.
    This for us too.  I'd seen a lot of people eat their words and I don't believe in absolutes.  We had things we wanted to avoid but approached it with a 'let's see' mentality.
    Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • Options
    Eat off the floor
  • Options
    Two words. Leash. Kid.
    LOL the leash discussions are by far my favorite on the Bump.  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Options

Two words. Leash. Kid.

LOL the leash discussions are by far my favorite on the Bump.  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've also used the leash a few times and always judged those moms who used them!! Also, DD had her pacifier until she was 2 1/2. We just got rid of it a couple months ago. I swore we would not let her have it that long. I'm sure there are other things too. I was a judgey-mcjudgerson in my pre-kid life!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also tried to aim low :) but I never thought I'd use a kid leash or be one of those people whose life is dictated around their kid's nap schedule. I always thought my sil was a little crazy about how adamant she was about her kids napping and going to bed at the same time every day so all family events were scheduled around these times. I'm eating my words now since we have discovered how much more pleasant things are if dd is well rested and has a consistent routine. She has also cried at restaurants and I'm sure I've done other things I would have eye rolled pre-kids.

• Options
    On our drive home last night I let DS hold my iphone and watch an episode of Barney in a desperate attempt to get him to stay quiet! DH and I were both like "we need a portable DVD/tablet/something" for the car. I used to judge parents who let their LOs watch TV in the car but now I see it is for sanity!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ninthgirl said:

Eating in the car. I had some idea that we just would make a baby wait to snack. Ha! I have vacuumed whole boxes worth of dropped Cheerios out of my cars.

Oh, this is me too! You could feed a family of four with the dropped snacks that fall our of DS's car seat!
  • Options
    Definitely bed sharing. We finally got DS in his own crib at 8 months (he is 10 mos now) but when we visit relatives he sleeps with us. Oh well. Extra cuddles ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
        photo 187e7fd5-6db3-47f3-8720-d3540e6c1f35.jpg           photo 17a38d63-9573-4513-9cd7-1650c297a8ca.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary 
  • Options
    Formula feeding. :-/
    Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I can't think of anything major I was dead set against.  I didn't think we would co-sleep and ended up doing it and thought I would make all my baby food for the first...that lasted about a week.  I made it on occasion, but not like I thought I would have done.
    Laura
    Married to my Middle School Sweetheart Since 9-23-2000
    Dominic Riley 10-8-2003  Abigail Mackenzie 3-30-2007
    Excited to meet Baby Boy #3 in August, 2014
  • Options

I also tried to aim low :) but I never thought I'd use a kid leash or be one of those people whose life is dictated around their kid's nap schedule. I always thought my sil was a little crazy about how adamant she was about her kids napping and going to bed at the same time every day so all family events were scheduled around these times. I'm eating my words now since we have discovered how much more pleasant things are if dd is well rested and has a consistent routine. She has also cried at restaurants and I'm sure I've done other things I would have eye rolled pre-kids.

I could have written this part about the naps and thinking my SIL was crazy. I thought my kid could nap wherever and just be a part of our life. Now we plan around naps and run home if we need to.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    BFP#1 10/11/11 - DD born 6/6/12;   
    BFP#2  7/6/13 - Due 3/8/13, MMC at 12w  D&C on 8/31/13;    
    BFP #3  11/26/13 - Due 8/6/14
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh the side eye I used to give people with kids on a leash. Now I have a Deaf DD who thinks she is too independent to stick close to me in public sometimes. So the leash is for her safety. And when I see people giving me the side eye I think oh your time is coming. Just wait :)

BFP 4/4/12 CP 4/10/12

9/20/2013 Came home with our little miracle from the Philippines

11/26/2013 Surprise!!! BFP!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I swore I would never sniff my child's butt to see if a diaper change was needed.
  • Options
    TV watching. I was all "I will stimulate her with learning activities and not ever sit her in front of the tv!!! TV is the devil!"  Then I learned that I could get so much done in the 30 minutes she watches Mickey Mouse clubhouse and I crossed over. Sometimes it's also nice to cuddle and watch the Little Mermaid.  And it's a lifesaver when she's sick.  And her brain hasn't melted as far as I know.
  • Options
    I agree with the TV watching. It sounds bad, but most of you understand lol. 30 minutes with a preoccupied DD allows me to get most of the house clean (so she can just make it messy again of course). But I always swore that I would never have snot running out of my child's nose. I don't know why, but that used to bug me really bad. I also swore I would always have a headband in my child's hair so her bangs wouldn't be in her eyes. Yeah, that quit working at 7 months. 
  • Options
    Love these posts
  • Options
    I was hoping to EBF and make my own baby food food but I ended up FF and gave in to gerber for a couple months. I also said no junk food and this kid loves cookies. It was one of the first sign language words he learned. Smh

imageimageimage

• Options
    I swore I wouldn't let my DD watch TV until she was 2. Well at 18 months, she started watching Disney. I feel like a little TV for her saves my sanity! I also said I wouldn't let her eat things off the floor. I was totally disgusted when I saw other people's kids do this before we had DD. After we had her, she dumped her cereal and snacks on the floor AT LEAST 15 times a day. Finally, I was like "whatever". At least I keep our floors as clean as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"