2nd Trimester

Odds of Verifi being wrong for sex?

I had my Verifi test done and everything came back great. We also found out that we are having a third boy. I could swear up and down this baby was a girl. So I called my best friend to share the news and she tells me that three people she knew had false results with the sex of their baby with Verifi. All three of them were told boy and ended up with girls. Come to find out, they said that if you have had a previous boy (which all three did) that the the "Y" chromosome can linger and get picked up. Has this happened with anyone here?

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Odds of Verifi being wrong for sex?

• The type of DNA material these tests use is cell-free nucleic acids not contained within cell membranes.  While fetal cells can live in maternal blood long after prior pregnancies, cfDNA and cfRNA are unique to the current pregnancy.  

The Verifi test is 99% accurate for gender, so odds are it's a boy.
  • Is it just for sex?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...

• Is it just for sex?
    The test checks for chromosomal disorders along with fetal sex. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• I've heard a few stories of it being wrong, but the other way...they were told girl but it was actually a boy bc there wasn't enough circulating Y chromosome to pick up bc the test was done too early. If it says you are having a third boy then you are having a third boy. I'm having my third boy too :)

A

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Tweeks23 said:
    I had my Verifi test done and everything came back great. We also found out that we are having a third boy. I could swear up and down this baby was a girl. So I called my best friend to share the news and she tells me that three people she knew had false results with the sex of their baby with Verifi. All three of them were told boy and ended up with girls. Come to find out, they said that if you have had a previous boy (which all three did) that the the "Y" chromosome can linger and get picked up. Has this happened with anyone here?

Changed you story, huh? This was you original one.

"I have three friends who have had the genetic screening done at or around the 13 week mark and they all found out the sex of their baby through the blood part of the test. They were all accurate at the u/s a few weeks later. Did any of you find out the sex that way? "

• Tweeks23 said:

"I have three friends who have had the genetic screening done at or around the 13 week mark and they all found out the sex of their baby through the blood part of the test. They were all accurate at the u/s a few weeks later. Did any of you find out the sex that way? "

WTH? She made up her own 'facts' to back it up or something? o.O
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
  • mrsgerman said:
    Tweeks23 said:

WTH? She made up her own 'facts' to back it up or something? o.O
    She is pretty much upset that she is having another boy. Even though going into this pregnancy clearly knew it was a 50/50 chance and despite the fact she is having a healthy baby, is fishing to find if there's a chance the sex results were incorrect.
    Not bothering to waste my time researching this particular test, maybe she's having a hermaphrodite and she'll get part of what she was hoping for. OP, you are having a third son. Embrace it. You can't change him now.

• but...but...she just KNOWS it's a girl. Screw science.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • Tweeks23 said:
    Come to find out, they said that if you have had a previous boy (which all three did) that the the "Y" chromosome can linger and get picked up. Has this happened with anyone here?

Your "science" is wrong. Are you seriously suggesting that you are carrying extra chromosomes after you are pregnant? Even while you are pregnant this is dead wrong. You baby has a set of chromosomes and you have your own. Nothing is floating or lingering.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Tweeks23 said:
    Come to find out, they said that if you have had a previous boy (which all three did) that the the "Y" chromosome can linger and get picked up. Has this happened with anyone here?

Your "science" is wrong. Are you seriously suggesting that you are carrying extra chromosomes after you are pregnant? Even while you are pregnant this is dead wrong. You baby has a set of chromosomes and you have your own. Nothing is floating or lingering.

Actually, floating DNA from the child is exactly what happens. The NIPTs work by isolating floating cell-free DNA in the mother's blood stream to check for chromosomal abnormalities. And there's growing evidence that DNA fragments from children remain in the mother's body. See this article from Scientific American (and maybe consider an apology): https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=scientists-discover-childrens-cells-living-in-mothers-brain
  • FemShep said:
    Tweeks23 said:

Actually, floating DNA from the child is exactly what happens. The NIPTs work by isolating floating cell-free DNA in the mother's blood stream to check for chromosomal abnormalities. And there's growing evidence that DNA fragments from children remain in the mother's body. See this article from Scientific American (and maybe consider an apology): https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=scientists-discover-childrens-cells-living-in-mothers-brain

Yes this is how they test for the chromosomes, sorry if I was unclear and misspoke.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What this heck is with the need to school people? Everyone is entitled to their feelings. It's so obnoxious and closed minded to act like there's a right way and a wrong way to think or feel.

1) Aren't you trying to "school us" in this post on how to respond "appropriately" in your opinion.

2) Yes, EVERYONE is entitled to their feelings. Including the people who think the OP is acting like an asshat.

3) Aren't you being just as obnoxious & close-minded telling us how we are supposed to feel/respond?

Oh.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I knew you'd have to come back to respond lol
  • I knew you'd have to come back to respond lol

And aren't you guilty of trying to tell people how they should feel & post. Interesting how you don't even attempt to address that.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• At 12 weeks, I believe it is only 95 percent accurate. I don't think it hits 99 percent until about 20 weeks.

There was a woman on PAIF who was given the wrong results.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • The girl on PAIF also had a vanished twin I think so that might have been why the test was wrong.
  • What this heck ins with the need to school people and put them in their place around here? I've not experienced gender disappointment, that doesn't mean I can't sympathize with those who do...OR keep my mouth shut if I can't relate. Everyone is entitled to their feelings. It's so obnoxious and closed minded to act like there's a right way and a wrong way to think or feel.

I haven't experienced gender disappointment either. Why not? Because going into my pregnancy I knew there was a 50/50 chance boy or girl. And I knew that the baby in my belly was MY healthy baby. How could I be disappointed in that? I can't sympathize when people are truly unhappy that the baby they created are a specific sex.
  • It was right for me and confirmed at our ultrasound.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • IBackBevoIBackBevo member
    edited December 2013
    car seat said:

IBackBevo said:

At 12 weeks, I believe it is only 95 percent accurate. I don't think it hits 99 percent until about 20 weeks.

There was a woman on PAIF who was given the wrong results.

Sure, but if it picked up a Y chromosome then that means that there was sufficient fetal DNA to run the test. 95% with a girl reading, if these are the numbers for accuracy, but the test isn't going to invent Y chromosomes. They're there or they aren't.

And in OP's case they found a Y chromosome so she's having a boy.

Bevo's response:

No, what I read said that in 5 percent of the cases they say "boy" when it is a girl. The statistic was a little lower in girls...I think it was more akin to 98 percent accurate for girls. My np sister in law actually didn't even think it was worth paying for the test at all if you were getting it just to learn the sex because by the time it is actually highly accurate, you can tell by ultrasound. We got it for free at the place we went to, but I am not painting the nursery yet.

There are medical studies that show fetal dna can actually hang around for a very long time. There have been reported cases of women having y chromosomes decades later. There is also a lot of research in the alzheimers arena on this...if you really want to get into the medical research on the subject, that is the area of medicine where there is a lot of research.

Not saying that is what is going on with OP, though. Odds are OP is having a boy. I think if I were in OP's shoes, I would accept the fact she is having a boy because the odds are that she is.

Edit: try to fix quotes. Added proviso.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • What this heck is with the need to school people and put them in their place around here? I've not experienced gender disappointment, that doesn't mean I can't sympathize with those who do...OR keep my mouth shut if I can't relate. Everyone is entitled to their feelings. It's so obnoxious and closed minded to act like there's a right way and a wrong way to think or feel.

:-S
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"