December 2012 Moms
Options

Gluten Free nbr

This is kind of like the salt free post but a little different. My sister is 15 weeks pregnant and just found out she has celiac disease. So for LO's party I wanted to make a dish that she could eat. I'm making baked ziti and mac n cheese along with some other things, should I just make them both gluten free so she has options? Recipes are greatly welcomed if you any ideas! TIA

Re: Gluten Free nbr

• Options
    Not sure if you have a Trader Joe's near you, but I swear by their brown rice pastas. They're really good - we use them all the time and we're not even GF (unless my MIL is visiting). The ziti is probably easier to do GF. You'd have to come up with another substitute for flour in the mac and cheese, and some GF flours work better than others. Probably not the best time to experiment. :)
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My BFF also has celiac and has been GF for ~7 years now. She swears by the Target brand pasta (it used to be Archer Farms, but I think has been re-branded as Simply Balanced). That being said, I'm a big texture person and I don't love GF pasta... It's not the same as wheat-based pasta. I'm not sure I'd try substituting GF pasta unless you have time for a trial run.

When my BFF visits, I tend to stick to things that ordinarily don't have gluten anyway. It's easier for me and she doesn't mind since she can eat well. I'm actually hosting her baby shower in Feb, and we're doing Mexican: corn tortillas, taco meat, veggies, salsa, etc. Other popular meals with us are pot roast in the crock pot, steaks and potatoes, beef and beans ragout (https://www.bhg.com/recipe/stews/beef-and-bean-ragout/), roast chicken, etc.

Oh, and ice cream for dessert. :) Though, the Betty Crocker GF mixes are apparently decent.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was gluten free for a year and I loved quinoa pasta. If you like quinoa, then you'll like quinoa pasta and most people really will not be able to tell the difference. I agree with pp poster about sticking with the ziti instead of the mac and cheese due to other substitutes. If you want to make an easy dessert and are a chocolate lover (its pretty rich) then this one is great (only 4 ingredients) and gf https://www.styleathome.com/food-and-entertaining/recipes/recipe-martha-stewart-s-crisp-coconut-and-chocolate-pie/a/34855?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sah_bb_110929

Another idea is caprese salad bites for an appetizer. I would see if you have a whole foods close to you which has several different options. If you need gf breads then Udi's is usually the standard but they do not taste as good as bread with gluten. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Another dessert idea is cheesecake. You can buy GF graham crackers most places to make the crust, and there's not flour in most cheesecakes.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"