Pregnant after 35

Ugly bleeding after first U/S

nikkiuknikkiuk member
edited December 2013 in Pregnant after 35
Ladies, I know this question has been asked on other boards but I can't see it anywhere here so I thought I'd see what the Over 35's had to say.

I had my first OB appointment with an U/S on Tuesday. It was an internal scan (which I was not expecting) and I think the doc said she did a 'culture' too, so did the whole speculum thing and I think something like a PAP. She then did the internal U/S.. everything normal, EDD 20th July. She saw a heartbeat but didn't measure the 'flicker' as she called it. She had a good poke around with the wand thing but didn't hurt me or anything. When she finished she realized the printer wasn't plugged in so to get the pic she had to do it again. 

The next morning I woke up with a hefty dose of dark red blood and mucus discharge. It turned brown during the rest of the day although I did have one streak of red blood, but only once. There's been a moderate amount of brown discharge with grainy bits every day since Tuesday, much more than the spotting I have been having over the last few weeks. I do know that I have a very sensitive cervix (who doesn't?) but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this?
Master of 'the look' 

Re: Ugly bleeding after first U/S

• I personally have not had this experience but I would definitely call your OB. It is likely due to whatever they did in there but best to check.

Melissa

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I definitely had this after my first u/s. I'm only 7.5 weeks along but I've had three ultrasounds already because of this very thing (well, the first episode was after intercourse). Baby is totally fine though and they couldn't find the cause for the bleeding/discharge. I still get a bit of tan discharge each time I wipe. My progesterone was very low though. Not sure whether that's related. Talk to your OB.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would call the Ob to be sure. I did have it happen to me my OB told me it was because how much more sensitive the tissue is in that area. Since she did a PAP buy the sound of things that is most likely the reason why. It sure can't hurt to call and ask though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Thanks ladies. I always avoid calling anyone as it's really hard for people to understand me on the phone (I have a British accent) but I would definitely call if I were really worried. I have some very mild cramps and it's just brown bits now... sorry, gross I know. If it hasn't improved by Monday I will call the OB. It's good to know I'm not the only one but it does beg the question... were IS the blood coming from? I'm intrigued! 
    Master of 'the look' 
  • rascus15rascus15 member
    edited December 2013

My OB told me not to be alarmed if I had bleeding after intercourse or transvag U/S.  He said that the cervix is very sensitive and prone to bleeding early in pregnancy.  He said it would be irritation bleeding. I later had bleeding for different reasons, but nothing to be alarmed about for baby's sake.  If it continues I would check in with your OB so it can at least be noted and they can probably relieve your worries :)

Edit for spelling :P

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

• I wish the OB had said that to me too, it's clearly the case. Had she said that, I wouldn't have spent a day worrying (before I rationalized it) and freaking out the hubby. She was a lovely lady but a little rushed and having thought about it, I wish she'd actually measured the heartbeat too. 

PLUS...I swear, she was young enough to be my daughter. Man, I feel old now 
    :)
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Completely normal, typical and expected. Hope you have called and all checked out.  Thoughts and Prayers for you and lo
  • Just a little update. I eventually called the OB yesterday as the bleeding still hasn't stopped. She asked me to pop in there today to check for a heartbeat just to be on the safe side. Saw a wonderful Midwife today and she eventually found the heartbeat but then she made me laugh so hard it vanished and she couldn't find it again. But it was definitely there, so all is well. The bleeding is just one of those things - she said they rarely find out the reason but it's no cause for worry. 
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Glad to hear all is well :)

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"