Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

2 week old with poop issue

My daughter is already having poop issues. I'm formula feeding due to problems with milk supply. She's been pooping normally after each feeding. Saturday night she pooped like normal, then not again until Sunday at 5 pm, and it was a massive blowout. It escaped all sides of her diaper, her onesie, and leaked onto my clothes. Then, she didn't go again until midnight, and again, it was a blowout. She has not gone since then and it's now been like 16-17 hours without going poo. I'm worried! I called the pediatrician and they said if this continues for 3 days to call them back. I'm not satisfied with that. She's acting normal, doesn't have a fever, and has been drinking Enfamil Newborn formula for over a week without a problem. Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks!

Re: 2 week old with poop issue

• Options
    Her stomach could just be regulating. It takes some time for things to regulate in their systems. A similar thing happened to us with her not going, then she ended up going 17 times in one day. She has a milk protein allergy and a soy allergy. We have had her on alimentum since she was about a month old and all has been good since. Unfortunately, there's not much to do but wait it out. Do tummy massages to try and help lo get it out.
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • Options
    Blowouts and not pooping everyday are not that unusual.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SnoopyLuv said:

Blowouts and not pooping everyday are not that unusual.

Agree. I'm not seeing a problem here. Blowouts are part of the gig. Formula takes a little while to digest so infrequent poop isn't unusual. If baby goes 7 days without a poop then start worrying.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree with the others. This doesn't seem that unusual. Handouts from our pedi state a baby can poop 0-10 times per day. For a formula fed baby to go a few days without pooping is not out if the ordinary.
    Can't figure out the signature thing, so here's the short, short version.....first daughter born on November 10, 2013. She was conceived through the magic of IVF after 2+ years of TTC.
  • Options
    Your baby sounds perfectly normal to me, and your pediatrician is right. Don't worry--it takes a bit of time for babys' digestive system to regulate and it will go up and down and all around before it settles on a particular "regular" schedule.
  • Options
    My LO is on formula and in his first few months has went from pooping every diaper change to 4-5 times a day to now at 4 months 1 maybe 2 times a day. Their bodies change how they are able to process so if your pedi isn't worried I wouldn't be either.
  • Options
    The diapers may not be fitting her well, but like others said, everything you described is normal.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    Yep, I agree with everyone. She's still going almost daily and one big poop with a blowout sounds normal.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Try going up to the next size diaper. We went to size 1 from nb about 2 weeks.
    TTC since October 22, 2012
    BFP January 11, 2013
    Kellan James Patrick was born September 28, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"