Working Moms

Instead of Meal Plan Monday - holiday food traditions

What are you holiday food traditions. Are they ones you've created or from when you were a kid?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

Re: Instead of Meal Plan Monday - holiday food traditions

• DH and I started the tradition of pigs in a blanket for Christmas Eve dinner. We always go to Christmas Eve mass so it's something fast and easy we can have after mass.

On Christmas Day my mom always makes her breakfast casserole. It's a family favorite. For dinner we usually have prime rib and twice baked potatoes which is one of my favorite meals.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Christmas Eve was always at my grandmas and now my mom has taken it over. My grandparents always made pierogies (Polish tradition) but now my mom makes turkey. I'm sad that she doesn't do the same.

Christmas morning my grammie always brought Danishes for breakfast, and DHs family always had eggs and kilbasi, so now we eat both!

Christmas dinner we usually had turkey and that's what we have now at MILs house.

We also always baked cookies with my Grandmom and now we do it with my mom. Mil also bakes cookies with dd now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have always done heavy apps on Christmas Eve - the tradition continues now.  Christmas morning always involved some homemade hot chocolate to drink while opening Santa gifts and a breakfast casserole. Those are from my childhood. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • A tradition in my family has always been soup, homemade rolls and salad for Christmas Eve dinner and popcorn and hot chocolate later in the evening when all the LO's have gone to bed. We've contonued this and added DH's family tradition of peanut M&M's to snack on.

• We currently do the heavy apps for Christmas Eve, and I always keep a hot holiday punch or cider mulling on the stove for throughout the day.  Christmas day, we used to do fajitas or enchiladas growing up, or some sort of non-traditional dinner.  Now my dad is all about smoked hams, so that's what we are having Christmas day - traditional dinner.  I like traditional thanksgiving, but I'm all about non-traditional specialties.  Ive thought about picking up tamales from a local place in the future for something of our own.
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• We always got an orange and peanuts in the shell in our stockings so I give that to my kids and I make sour cream coffee cake to have around for breakfast because my mom always did that.

I think our biggest, and weirdest food tradition is my mother makes something called peanut salad.  It's an odd concotion of dry roasted peanuts, carrots, hard boiled eggs, pickle relish and mayo all mushed and mixed together.  Who would ever think to combine those things and why?  And yet, I eat it every year.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Christmas Eve we always go to my parent's house for their Christmas Eve party.  They keep it casual and more like a drop in so families come and go depending on if they go to Christmas Eve mass or not.  Mom always does meatballs in a grape jelly & chilli sauce.  Sounds gross, but everyone loves it.  

On Christmas Day (and Thanksgiving for that matter), no matter what the main course is, we always have jellied cranberry.  It has to be cut into slices and then the slices are cut with a cookie cutter.  Thanksgiving is a turkey shaped cookie cutter; Christmas is usually stars because tree cookie cutters rarely come that small.
  • ss+elss+el member
    edited December 2013
    DH and I both come from families with a tradition of having oyster stew and chili when the large family gets together, usually Christmas Eve or the weekend before/after now that we've all got to split our time between other families. We grew up in different states, so it was so funny to me when I found this out.

ETA: One year MIL only made oyster soup, which I don't like, so she made me a can of Campbell's vegetable soup. DH got jealous because apparently he doesn't like oyster soup either, but was eating it anyway. I never asked for anything different, when she asked if I like oyster soup, I thought it was just offhand, didn't realize it was all she had planned for dinner. LOL 
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    edited December 2013
    Growing up my mom always made deviled meat (chicken, ham) and egg salad sandwiches plus tomato soup and clam chowder for Christmas Eve dinner. Christmas morning breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage, pastries, fresh fruit, and OJ/coffee/hot chocolate. At some point she stopped serving turkey for Christmas dinner and we had standing rib roast with mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, some sort of vegetables/salad, plus cheesecake for dessert.

We now spend Christmas Eve with my MIL, and she has an open house party, so there's tons of food, including a ham. On years when she's not hosting dinner the next night for all of the kids and grandkids (like this year) she just sets out leftovers. They don't do anything for breakfast. So, DH and I host Christmas morning breakfast with my family, and alternate who we spend the day with - on years with my family, we host and serve a standing rib roast because I don't care much for turkey.
  • We insist on staying home on Christmas Eve and Christmas. People can come to us if they want but they don't. We travel after Christmas, before New Years to visit. Having said that, no specific traditions. We do try to have a fancier dinner, usually a really good cut of beef on Christmas. And I have been making some sort of stuffed French toast for the past few years.
  • Growing up we always did the feast of seven fishes. I always loved it, but my siblings hated it. Christmas morning was always homemade biscuits or pancakes and eggs. Christmas dinner was lasagna, meatballs, sausage, manicotti, eggplant parm, chicken parm. Yum yum yum!

Christmas dinner is still the same. But now we do Chinese food with my Inlaws bc that's what they always did. Christmas morning is now Brie on English muffins bc that's what DH grew up on too. Yum again!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was a kid, we usually got Chinese food on Christmas because my mom decided she didn't want to cook. We don't really have any food-related traditions now. I ordered Christmas dinner from the Honey Baked Ham store this year because I am working. Maybe it will become my new tradition :)
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • For Christmas Eve my parents have everyone over their house (I mean everyone.  Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, my in laws and my brother's in laws, etc.) and they roast a whole pig.  We are Cuban and this is a Cuban tradition.

For Christmas Day we go to my in laws and they usually have roast beef or london broil with various sides.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"