April 2014 Moms
Options

Sleeping on your back...

How do you stop?
I can't seem to figure it out! I start with great intentions and sleep on my left side, then I wake myself up in a panic cause I'm sleeping on my back. It's all night! The worst sleep ever.
I need some ideas, best practices that you use to break this!

I just want some sleep :(
September Siggy Challenge: What I Sing in the Shower: Little Mermaid "Part Of That World"image

Best Answers

• Options
    seafyrseafyr member
    Answer ✓
    Use a body pillow behind your back? I am a stomach sleeper :( and am having to use the body pillow to keep from rolling on the tummy
  • Options
    smushismushi member
    Answer ✓
    What's so odd is I'm typically a side sleeper with one knee up.  It's suited me well this entire pregnancy so far, but for whatever reason, the last two nights, I've woken up on my back.  And I NEVER sleep that way.  No clue what's up with that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    joyfullyfoundjoyfullyfound member
    Answer ✓
    You seriously don't need to panic if you wake up on your back, hon. There's nothing you can do about it, so it's useless to worry. Just roll onto your side and go back to sleep. I'm a side sleeper naturally, but often sleep on my back when I want during the night, and it doesn't concern me. The whole concern with back sleeping is that it can cut off some blood flow to the lower half of your body because of the increased weight of your uterus, but your body will naturally wake you up when it starts getting uncomfortable from that. It won't just let blood circulation to your legs stop without warning you. I've woken up feeling a bit tingly before, and just rolled over and that's that. Your body knows how to protect it's lower half and your baby :) 

Do what you can to not back sleep, but if it happens there's no use losing sleep over it. These things happen, you have no control over what you do during sleep. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    sking72sking72 member
    Answer ✓
    I'm having a tough time with that, just started being a problem becuse ill get a really bad headache if I sleep on my back. The only thing helping me is my dog sleeps on one side of me and that presents me from moving without waking up to move him!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image

Answers

• Options
    I use my snoogle but that unfortunately doesn't stop me from getting on my back.. I've even gone as far and having DH be a wall with his back behind me. My body for some reason wants to be flat!
    September Siggy Challenge: What I Sing in the Shower: Little Mermaid "Part Of That World"image

• Options
    Thank you all! A wave of relief over my body! My friends and family with their "advice" had me and DH freaking out! everytime I went on my back DH would wake me up if I hadn't already.

Thanks for the answers! :x

• Options
    I know it just asks me on every post if my question was answered by this person I click yes and everything changes

• Options
    smushi said:
    What's so odd is I'm typically a side sleeper with one knee up.  It's suited me well this entire pregnancy so far, but for whatever reason, the last two nights, I've woken up on my back.  And I NEVER sleep that way.  No clue what's up with that.
    This is totally me!  I am usually a side sleeper but find myself on my back during the night sometimes.  What really sucks is that laying on either one of my sides is the WORST position for my acid reflux.  I can feel perfectly fine laying on my back propped up on pillows but if I turn to my side even the slightest amount it is instant burning.  Blech.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    MC #1 January 2013
    DS born 4/06/14
    MC #2 August 2015
    CP November 2015
    MC#3 January 2016
    BFP 5/11/16  EDD 1/19/17
  • Options
    My OB told me that sleeping on my back won't hurt the baby, just that I have a chance the farther along I get of waking up feeling like I can't catch my breath because of the pressure on the vena cava and another vein in the same area.  She didn't seem worried about it at all when I asked. *shrug*

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Options
    My OB isn't at all worried about it and says it's not really that big of a deal. I wake up on both my stomach and my back throughout the night, which I can't really figure out since my bump is pretty big. DH said that I should tape a tennis ball to my front and back to keep me sleeping on my sides.
  • Options
    With my first I bought two body pillows. One for the front for belly support and one for the back. This pregnancy my H bought me the back and belly pregnancy pillow. Best pillow ever!!!! I have only woken up once on my back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My OB hasn't mentioned it at all and I just had my 26w appointment. I sleep half on my back with the snoogie. My entire right hip throbs when I lay on it, so that sides out and baby boy kicks the crap out of my left if I lay on that side.
    ~Chrissy 

• Options
    I have also had a problem with sleeping on my side, I am a tummy sleeper usually but seem to find most comfort laying on my back these days.... I think honestly it's fine. I work for an OBGYN and whenever she gets asked this question it's never a huge thing. I think our bodies will alarm us when something is wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"