Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Britax B-Safe Car Seat

I have read a lot of reviews and it seems like a big complaint is the need for head support. Mommas with the B-safe did you need add a head support or was it find with what it comes with?

Re: Britax B-Safe Car Seat

• Options

The only thing you should add if needed is a rolled receiving blanket AROUND the head, not behind baby.

No experience with B-safe, but this is a general rule for safety.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We had a rolled receiving blanket on one side for the first 3ish weeks because DD always had her head to one side. It would have happened in any seat and we were happy with the b safe overall.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    slwprincessslwprincess member
    edited December 2013
    ebie79 said:
    Acrosthec said:

My biggest (and really only) complaint with the seat is that LO gets very hot in it.  Like after an hour trip to Grandma's she is sometimes soaked wet with sweat.  A thin A&A blanket under her has helped with this, but it's still irritating to pull the straps around, and I worry that even though it's thinner than a thin jacket, it's somehow making the seat less safe. :(

LO not here yet so no direct experience. I did read reviews for the Chicco Keyfit that said babies sweated in those too. Made me wonder if its just infant seats in general.
    I've used a Graco and a Chicco and both babies sweated in them as well.  They also sweat in their convertible seats.  So either I just have really sweaty kids or this is just car seats in general.  No experience with the Britax B-safe head support but I did want to say that the NICU nurse did the rolled blanket trick with DS in his Graco seat as well.  The Chicco was the only one that I felt like didn't need anything extra and even then, DD's head would flop forward!  The good news is that this phase will pass quickly and after they get head/neck control, its not really a concern anymore.  I wouldn't buy any extras to go on the seat since they were not tested with the seat and may not be safe.

• Options
    DD did a lot sweating in her Graco Snugeride. I think it's a car seat thing. Her Graco had a little head thingy that came with it so I never gave it much thought. Until I read the reviews. We will just use the rolled up blanket if needed. I vaguely remember the nurse doing that leaving the hospital with DD but it's a bit of blur. It's only been 2 yrs and I just can't remember these little details!

• Options

ebie79 said:

Acrosthec said:

My biggest (and really only) complaint with the seat is that LO gets very hot in it.  Like after an hour trip to Grandma's she is sometimes soaked wet with sweat.  A thin A&A blanket under her has helped with this, but it's still irritating to pull the straps around, and I worry that even though it's thinner than a thin jacket, it's somehow making the seat less safe. :(

LO not here yet so no direct experience. I did read reviews for the Chicco Keyfit that said babies sweated in those too. Made me wonder if its just infant seats in general.

I've used a Graco and a Chicco and both babies sweated in them as well.  They also sweat in their convertible seats.  So either I just have really sweaty kids or this is just car seats in general.  No experience with the Britax B-safe head support but I did want to say that the NICU nurse did the rolled blanket trick with DS in his Graco seat as well.  The Chicco was the only one that I felt like didn't need anything extra and even then, DD's head would flop forward!  The good news is that this phase will pass quickly and after they get head/neck control, its not really a concern anymore.  I wouldn't buy any extras to go on the seat since they were not tested with the seat and may not be safe.

I'm a major oddball here, but I didn't have issues with my infant car seat being sweaty (the fabric is really soft) and my seat came with wonderful support for DSs head. It's a 3 piece set that keeps the small babies in place. It's the Safety 1st onBoard 35 Air and I really think they made it with smaller babies and preemies in mind. It even has a special angle for smaller babies that you use. My friends had gotten them for twins and the NICU nurses loved the seats and I ended up getting one just in case DS1 was a preemie.

My only complaint that is with DS2 the soft fabric is starting to pill around the feet. Kinda like an old t-shirt. But it has been used a lot.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options
    We were very happy with our B Safe. Never use any head supports that are sold in a car seat. They are not tested, no matter what the packaging says. You can lay a rolled receiving blanket on either side of baby's head for support if you need it. We did this only a handful of times.

It's a very easy to install and use seat. It fits tiny babies and big babies very well. It recommend this seat to anyone!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    kmc84 said:

We were very happy with our B Safe. Never use any head supports that are sold in a car seat. They are not tested, no matter what the packaging says.

It is okay to use the inserts/supports that come with your car seat because they were tested with that seat. All infant seats have some type of insert included.

However, it is unsafe to use aftermarket products that did not come with your car seat because they are not tested.

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options
    FmrAFBrat said:

kmc84 said:

We were very happy with our B Safe. Never use any head supports that are sold in a car seat. They are not tested, no matter what the packaging says.

It is okay to use the inserts/supports that come with your car seat because they were tested with that seat. All infant seats have some type of insert included.

However, it is unsafe to use aftermarket products that did not come with your car seat because they are not tested.

That's what I meant. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    TTC# 1 since 5/10

TTC #2
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

TTC#3
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    We had the B-Safe for DS's infant seat, no complaints here! We'll be using the same seat for baby #2. (Maybe it's a size or head-control thing? He was 7 lbs 15 oz at birth, and could lift his head up for short periods of time before we left the hospital.)
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I used the b-safe for my DD who was born in June 2012. I never had an issue with sweating. DD did have a bit of torticolis and I wanted a head support but I knew it wasn;t safe. I never used anything and she was fine.
    I wanted the stroller more than I cared about the seat. I liked that I didn't need additional attachments. I found the b-safe to be a great seat. Really easy install and did everything that we needed.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We loved our Britax Chaperone, excellent head support! And never any sweating issues.

• Options
    If anything I was going to use the britax head and body pillow that has been certified for use in their seats. 

• Options
    @JerseyBella using the additional insert made by Britax is a parental decision. Just so you know, you need to be extremely careful that it does not interfere with the harness straps. I personally would not be comfortable using it- too much room for error and I wouldnt trust it to not add bulk behind baby. The rolled receiving blankets work very well. You can tape or rubber band the ends so they don't come undone when you take the baby out of the seat.
    TTC# 1 since 5/10

TTC #2
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

TTC#3
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    My son was a preemie and left the hospital at 5lb and the nurses showed us how to use the rolled up blankets. We did that for probably the first month. Overall we love the b-safe!

Anniversary

• Options
    Currently using the B-safe w/ my 3 month old. For the first couple of weeks, I used a receiving blanket for her head. She sweats in it sometimes, but I would too if I was strapped in that tight all the time. It's easy to get in/out of the car and pop onto the stroller. I'll be getting a Britax convertible as well when the time comes.
  • Options
    Like PPs have said, we only ever used a rolled up receiving blanket. My DD was 5'11" when we left the hospital and I think I'd have needed a blanket for head support in any seat.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I bought the britax body support and I thought it pushed her head forward too much so I returned it. We just rolled a burp cloth around her head until she was a month or so old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"