2nd Trimester

24 weeks. Cat laying on stomach - safe?

I find it hard to sleep in any position but laying flat on my back lately, and sometimes our cat will crawl up on my stomach and curl up to sleep.  I don't feel pain when she does, but this last time my baby started squirming and kicking pretty frequently.  I'm not well-versed enough in Fetalese to understand if she was enjoying the purring and warmth, or if she felt like she was being squished.  Our cat weighs... maybe about 12 pounds, I think?  Anyone else let their furbabies lay on them a bit, or have you been told it's unsafe? =/

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell

Re: 24 weeks. Cat laying on stomach - safe?

• I would think you're fine as long as you are comfortable.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm just guessing, but I'd think laying on your back is more likely the problem than the cat being on top. I was told by my doc that back sleeping is not preferred -- but I admit, I forget the reason why.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Luna C said:
    I'm just guessing, but I'd think laying on your back is more likely the problem than the cat being on top. I was told by my doc that back sleeping is not preferred -- but I admit, I forget the reason why.
    My OB told me that whole thing about laying on your back will push on the vien and reduce blood flow to your baby is a myth. You can lay in any position until its uncomfortable. Your body will let you know when you need to move. 
  • Okay, feeling better about allowing fuzzy butt to lay on my bump now.  Thanks, ladies! <3

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • my cat literally came into my room every morning after waking to cuddle and lay on my stomach...i never had any issues.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My 29 lb toddler often lies across my stomach, I think the little kitty is ok!
    The baby is very protected and deep in there, the kicking is just a reflex
  • My cat does the same. More so than he has in the past. I've be told that family member pets such as cats and dogs, have some sort of "sixth sense" w/ expecting mothers. Kinda like they need to protect you. But who knows.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If it's not uncomfortable, then I wouldn't worry about it.  When I hold my 2.5 year old DS, much of his weight rests on my belly and it doesn't bother me and LO doesn't seem to mind either.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• My 29 lb toddler often lies across my stomach, I think the little kitty is ok!
    The baby is very protected and deep in there, the kicking is just a reflex

This my 17 month old does it with me....I mean like crawls allll over me. I'm sure it's fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't have other kids, or animals to compare... But whenever anything warm is near my belly... Baby freaks out. Hates heat.
  • When I was pg with my first, I was sitting on a recliner with the cat on my lap leaning on my bump, just purring away, when my son kicked her a pretty good one! The cat looked at me like 'how DARE you!'
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • I think as long as there is cloth like a shirt or blanket on your belly you should be fine :)
    You're freindly and nice and popular a14 AE :)) :))
  • Why would cloth make a difference?
    Supermom to my beautiful boys Troy Marshall and Griffin Xander 

Living the dream with my wonderful man :)
  • Why would cloth make a difference?

This.  I don't get it. 
  • I just worry about absorbing the toxins they carry from their litter box into my skin, that's all :)
  • GlynnCoco said:
    I just worry about absorbing the toxins they carry from their litter box into my skin, that's all :)
    So you better not pet them with a bare hand!!! 8-|

Its ok my mom got me gloves for that :)
  • GlynnCoco said:
    GlynnCoco said:
    I just worry about absorbing the toxins they carry from their litter box into my skin, that's all :)

Alrighty troll
    I don't mean to offend anyone, sorry :( The cat doesnt mind if thats what your worried about
  • Luna C said:
    I'm just guessing, but I'd think laying on your back is more likely the problem than the cat being on top. I was told by my doc that back sleeping is not preferred -- but I admit, I forget the reason why.
    My OB told me that whole thing about laying on your back will push on the vien and reduce blood flow to your baby is a myth. You can lay in any position until its uncomfortable. Your body will let you know when you need to move. 
    My OB specifically said to stop sleeping on my stomach or back around 20 weeks.  I don't think its a myth.

That said, if you are only comfortable on your back, try putting a body pillow behind you and laying partially on your back, partially on your side, like at a 45 degree angle.  I find it pretty comfortable and blood flow is supposedly better to the baby in that position (rather than flat on back).
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It's safe. Think of all the pregnant moms whose children sit in our laps and lie against our bellies. Babies move against stimuli; it's a reflex, not necessarily an indication of like or dislike.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I think if 2 grown woman can painfully push on my 37 week belly trying to turn to turn a baby a cat is fine :)
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Luna C said:

My OB specifically said to stop sleeping on my stomach or back around 20 weeks.  I don't think its a myth.

That said, if you are only comfortable on your back, try putting a body pillow behind you and laying partially on your back, partially on your side, like at a 45 degree angle.  I find it pretty comfortable and blood flow is supposedly better to the baby in that position (rather than flat on back).

I didn't know about this but I will stop. I often lie on my stomach and I'm not light!
  • LOL its my cats new favorite place to lay :)  He's deaf so I know he can't hear the baby but he seems to like the kicks and movements :)  And boy does baby kick more when kitty is on my stomach :)
  • GlynnCoco said:

GlynnCoco said:

GlynnCoco said:

Alrighty troll

I don't mean to offend anyone, sorry :( The cat doesnt mind if thats what your worried about

My cats all three of them sleep with me, next to me and on me. I am not worried about them being with me. You don't have to wear gloves either.

Just make sure you wash you hands well after cleaning litter box and wear gloves doing that. Sometimes I forget to wear gloves and just make sure I was real good after.

I used to work at an animal hospital and had 5-6 people pregnant there. All babies were fine.

Right now I have a cat on my belly and one by my hips.

You will be fine.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• If your cat is indoor only then there is no risk for "toxins".

Also, you probably "absorbed the toxins" already just saying.

Your kitchen sponge & bath towel have more germs on them than the cats' feet.

Stupid people are stupid.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• https://m.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/toxoplasmosis.html#.UrhekWS9Kc0

You have more of a risk of getting Toxo from gardening or eating raw meat.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"