Baby Showers

First time sahm with a stepson

Not to be troll-y but I have a 3 year old step son that I have been "mommy" to since he was 6 months old. Bio mom ran away and last we heard she's somewhere in Washington state. I feel like I'm already a mom but this is my first pregnancy. If a baby shower is to welcome a woman in to motherhood, do I decline? Or because this is my first pregnancy do I get a pass to accept it with out looking gift grabby?
Supermom to my beautiful boys Troy Marshall and Griffin Xander 

Living the dream with my wonderful man :)

Re: First time sahm with a stepson

• Darbie914 said:
    MandJS said:
    Joy2611 said:
    Personally, I see no harm in accepting a baby shower in this situation if someone offers.
    Agreed. Don't solicit, but if one is offered, I'd think it's okay.
    +1
    +1
  • Lol I've been offered 2 (3 of you count a virtual one I declined) I wouldn't solicit one, at all but I do feel like I'm a mom already and just wanted to know what tall think. I'm not gift grabby about any means, before I was offered the first one I didn't even want to make a regresty. I just don't want to come off as give me give me ya know?

• Loading the player...
  • I say go for it! 
    Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family

• I wouldn't side eye this.  Of course you are a mother to your step son, but you didn't have a pregnancy, a shower, or a newborn before.  I think its okay.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I agree with the all the other girls. Although you are already a mother to your stepson, you didn't get to experience a pregnancy and the birth so I'd definitely say it's totally ok for you to accept a shower.
  • Thanks ladies I definitely feel better now. Although the only thing we really NEED for ds2 is a crib, and only because ds1's crib is now his toddler bed. So most of the stuff I've registered for has been clothes, free and clear detergent ext. we already have the crib picked out and are saving for it... so i don't see the need to register for it lol 

• That's not a bad idea lol

• Agree with everyone else. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with PP that you should feel fine accepting a shower.  I would if I were you!! 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Lol I've been offered 2 (3 of you count a virtual one I declined) I wouldn't solicit one, at all but I do feel like I'm a mom already and just wanted to know what tall think. I'm not gift grabby about any means, before I was offered the first one I didn't even want to make a regresty. I just don't want to come off as give me give me ya know?
    What PPs have said. 
    It is to welcome you to motherhood, but it's also meant to help ensure you have all the stuff you'll need for a new member of the family -- and you never got that part. (I'm assuming you did not inherit a full nursery set up and wardrobe of baby clothes from your stepson's bio-mom.) So I see no problem with this. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @lunac : I disagree with you.

The baby shower is an honor. It is certainly nice to get things to help but that is not the baby shower's purpose. It's the parents' job, not family & friends, to "ensure you have all you need for the new member of the family".

The only purpose of a shower is to celebrate the MTB. Any stuff you get is a bonus, but new moms should not accept a shower with a belief that they should get all they need to prepare them for their child.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• @lunac : I disagree with you.

The baby shower is an honor. It is certainly nice to get things to help but that is not the baby shower's purpose. It's the parents' job, not family & friends, to "ensure you have all you need for the new member of the family".

The only purpose of a shower is to celebrate the MTB. Any stuff you get is a bonus, but new moms should not accept a shower with a belief that they should get all they need to prepare them for their child.

Agree with Prim. (But OP- I would not side eye you in this situation.)
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • Agree with PPs. I would accept it. And make sure even if you plan on buying something yourself, to put it on the registry. Discounts rock!
    Anniversary 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"