Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Moving to own room

Hi, just wondering what thoughts are on moving bubs to own room. Our LO has been in our room since birth (bassinet then cot). She was waking every three hours for a feed which I think became more habit than hungry. I'm now able to resettle her so that she feeds after 5-7 hrs, but most morning she's up around 4/5am and I bring her into our bed because im simply too exhausted to try resettle her as its much harder to do at that time. She is a light sleeper and I'm really keen to have more intimate time with hubby... But we're worried it's too early to move her? A friend advised moving her by 6 months before she's aware she's in our room but I felt that a little young and we've had to get her settled into sleeping in her cot. She's 7 months now and I thought we could try over Christmas holidays so we (hubby) don't have to worry about getting up for work after a tough night? Is she still too young?

Re: Moving to own room

• Options
    No, she's not too young. Lots of ppl move their babies way before the suggested time which is 6 months. We moved DS into his own room at 6 months. He was just getting too big for the bassinet, and now that he's in his crib, he can move around & get comfortable. I say do it!! :)
  • Options
    We moved LO at about 6.5 months (after a failed attempt at 3 and 5 months!). I miss having her close by, but since she goes go bed so early, it's been nice to have our room back in the evenings!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I moved my lo around 6 weeks into her own room, which is literally across the hall. She was grunting all night and I couldn't get any sleep between feedings. I felt it was best for both of us. I don't think 7 mo is too early at all!
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    DD has been in her own crib since about 2 months.  I do put her in our bed every now and then if she can't get back to sleep after a MOTN wake up (usually around 4 or 5am for another hour or 2 of sleep for DH and I).  I did the transition over a weekend too but DD was fine the first night.  They will surprise you with what bothers them and what doesn't.
  • Options
    smash1228 said:
    I moved my lo around 6 weeks into her own room, which is literally across the hall. She was grunting all night and I couldn't get any sleep between feedings. I felt it was best for both of us. I don't think 7 mo is too early at all!
    Same here, only about 8 or so weeks.  I was shocked at how well he did. But the routine was the exact same, and babies thrive on that. Now I can get him to sleep for the night anywhere. His crib, the P&P at grandma 1's or P&P at grandma 2's. The only thing I do is sleep with the crib or p&p sheets for a day or two to get my scent on it.  

• Options
    I was told 4 months was the age when they were really aware of their surroundings are started making sleep associations, so we moved both girls right before the 4 month mark. It was really no big deal (for them anyway, I was much more reluctant!)

I definitely don't think your LO is too young, in fact because she's older and more aware of her surroundings, the transition might be a little harder for her. A friend of mine waited longer with her daughter and had good luck sleeping on the floor in her daughters room for a few nights to help her feel more comfortable and so she could respond quickly still, it seemed to help for her. Good luck!

• Options
    Honestly, our son has been sleeping in his own room since night 1. But thats like 5 feet from the room we were sleeping in. We were so concerned about him not being able to associate sleep to his own room that we skipped the chance altogether. We were often questioned about our decision which is so annoying but it worked for us and most importantly, our son. 
    So what you think is best for your little one. The transition may be quite the change for her since she is used to sleeping around/with you, but be consistent and be patient. My only advice is that if you are set on trying to get her to sleep in her own room, don't give in when it starts to get difficult...you'll just reinforce her wanting to sleep with you. It's a balancing act between making sure their needs are met and challenging them a bit to get used to something new. Always challenging but your little one, and you and daddy, will catch on. Good luck!
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Eeek! We have had our son sleeping in his crib in his own room since he was 5 days old and I love it... but I know that's a little bit extreme. I think the longer you wait to transition, the harder it's going to be. I also think that husband and wife need their own space and privacy. You should do whatever works for your family, though!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    burnseek said:
    Hi, just wondering what thoughts are on moving bubs to own room. Our LO has been in our room since birth (bassinet then cot). She was waking every three hours for a feed which I think became more habit than hungry. I'm now able to resettle her so that she feeds after 5-7 hrs, but most morning she's up around 4/5am and I bring her into our bed because im simply too exhausted to try resettle her as its much harder to do at that time. She is a light sleeper and I'm really keen to have more intimate time with hubby... But we're worried it's too early to move her? A friend advised moving her by 6 months before she's aware she's in our room but I felt that a little young and we've had to get her settled into sleeping in her cot. She's 7 months now and I thought we could try over Christmas holidays so we (hubby) don't have to worry about getting up for work after a tough night? Is she still too young?
    We are in the same boat. My dd turned 8 months last week and i know we have to put her into her room but it's definetly me who wants her close to me. We are going to try as well soon ;(
  • Options
    I  had a hard time with this as well, and kept putting it off longer and longer.  We finally moved her around 8 months, and so far it has gone well.  I still nurse her to sleep, and then put her down in her crib.  She sometimes wakes in the middle of the night and I send DH in first to see if he can get her back to sleep with a binky, rocking, etc.  Usually he can, but if not he brings her into our room and I can usually snuggle her back to sleep pretty quickly.  She wakes every morning around 5-530 to eat, and DH gets her and brings her into our room if she isn't already in there, and I feed her and then she sleeps a couple more hours in our bed.  I know bedsharing isn't for everyone, but it really helps me with the transition to still get a couple hours of sleep with her right next to me, while also still getting most of the night to ourselves.

As for the actual switch, I did everything the same but put her in her crib that night instead of her PNP that she was sleeping in.  She plays in her crib and has taken naps in there so it was a comfortable place for her.  The transition went way better than I expected! 

Good luck, and my advice is make the switch when you both are ready :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Options
    We started this week. Two nights in and no issues. I think we've been waking each other up when she was in our room. We all sleep pretty loudly!
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    She went in around 4months.  She was getting too big for her bassinet and was sleeping through the night so I thought it was a good time.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We moved our LO to his room a week ago (appr. 7,5 months) and started sleep training. He is doing fine but not me lol I miss him soooo much. We co-slept before so it feels like part of me is gone. Sometimes I just go in his room when he is asleep and look at him. I know it's better for everybody as we all sleep loud and wake each other up constantly. Now everybody gets some zzzs. 
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • Options
    NDarya said:
    We moved our LO to his room a week ago (appr. 7,5 months) and started sleep training. He is doing fine but not me lol I miss him soooo much. We co-slept before so it feels like part of me is gone. Sometimes I just go in his room when he is asleep and look at him. I know it's better for everybody as we all sleep loud and wake each other up constantly. Now everybody gets some zzzs. 
    We co-slept because she hadn't been sleeping well while teething/sick. We find that if we cuddle in bed she gets calmed down and sleepy and then we transition her to her crib. Night cuddles are the best :)
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    I put my son in his own room around 4 months. I feel like his quality of sleep got better once I moved him. My TV would always be on in my room since I was up so much. It is definitely not too early but just do what feela right to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"