1st Trimester

Too early to share pregnancy news: what do I tell people for why I'm not drinking!!??

I just found out that I'm 5 weeks pregnant but we'd like to wait til I'm at least 10 weeks before telling people.  I'm wondering what white lies others have told their friends/family/coworkers to explain why they're not drinking during social gatherings??  We have a few family parties coming up and I'm always someone who indulges in a few glasses of wine normally, so people will definitely notice I'm not drinking.  I'm looking for some easy, believable, white lies that I can use so people won't be suspicious!  Any suggestions/feedback welcome!!  Thanks!

Re: Too early to share pregnancy news: what do I tell people for why I'm not drinking!!??

• Loading the player...
  • Even if they suspect that you are pregnant is it the end of the world? They don't know for sure and you can just say you don't feel up to it tonight. I never understood the drama of trying to hide pregnancy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• -im trying to have a healthier lifestyle
    -I dont feel like it tonight
    - just get of my case yo!
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Its easy to pretend...get a glass of wine and pretend to sip, bring it to the bathroom and pour some down the sink. If DH is with you he can take sips of it while no one is looking.

If you are going to a restaurant, get there a bit early and talk to the waiter about subbing out your beer for a NA one. Order club soda and have them put it in a glass like its a real drink with a lime.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Its easy to pretend...get a glass of wine and pretend to sip, bring it to the bathroom and pour some down the sink. If DH is with you he can take sips of it while no one is looking.

If you are going to a restaurant, get there a bit early and talk to the waiter about subbing out your beer for a NA one. Order club soda and have them put it in a glass like its a real drink with a lime.

A
    All this! The taking the bartender aside and doing the water in a glass with a lime is what I did at my company Christmas party and no one was the wiser. For the rest of the night I held a glass of wine and pretended to take sips every now and then - by that point everyone else was totally trashed and could not have cared less what I was doing! As far as a house party/family party I agree that you can share with your hubs and put a bit in the sink each time you go to the restroom. Or if you're a beer drinker, pour it down the sink and replace with water. 
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• I've been to several holiday parties so far and honestly not one person has even asked why I'm not drinking. One event I sipped on cranberry juice with lime, the others just water. If someone asks just say you're the DD or something.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • When I was newly pregnant we had a ton of weddings coming up.  I drank seltzer with lime and told everyone is was vodka/soda (they asked because I'm normally a wine drinker).  
  • I purchased Welch's Sparkling Grape Juice (non-alcoholic).  It looks just like white wine :)  Worked like a charm.

Married DH 9/30/2011 - TTC #1 since 11/2012 

BFP 5/30/2013 EDD 2/8/2014 M/C blighted ovum 7/5/2013 8 weeks 3 days 

BFP 11/16/2013  Beautiful, perfect heartbeat 12/9/2013 EDD 7/31/2014  Please be our rainbow baby!

image              image  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• All of the tips so far work great! I really thought it was going to be a -lot- harder than it has been.  I just carry around the same drink all night and dump some when I'm in the bathroom. Or get a fake one. A couple of times I didn't even have a drink and didn't even worry about it.  No one said anything, but I think a few were suspicious. ;)  They will find out soon enough!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is tough when u do have coworkers and friends and family who know you... I have a work meeting for 5 days at the end of January, and hopefully if I make it that long with being pg, I can tell people at the end of Tri 1. If I'm not drinking with my coworkers, that's the first thing they'll ask me. Last meeting when Was 5 weeks but subsequently miscarried, someone asked me why no drinking and I told them I was on some new meds and couldn't mix them. It went over just fine! But the water with a lime deal works best. What sucks is when you're at a table and waiter is taking orders, etc.... That's a tough one to fake.yesterday I used the excuse that I tied one on the night before. That also worked well!
  • You'd be surprised!  I'm 4 weeks and walked around at a holiday party this Saturday with a glass of wine.  Put it down to take a picture and overheard a cousin (inlaws) say 'She isn't drinking!'. 
  • My family is one to notice if I am not drinking.  This summer my mom got married and then later had a larger reception.  When I arrived at the party I said hello to everyone and was really thirsty so I asked where the drinks were kept.  My aunt pointed out where the wine was, but I was looking for water or sprite even though I wasn't pregnant at the time.  She looked at me strange when I opted for water instead.  They are nosy and will definitely ask why I'm not drinking at Christmas dinner. I am only 4 weeks and I know its early, but I am sure I will share the wonderful news. 
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Tell them you're on antibiotics

BabyFruit Ticker

• BLPL101 said:
    Tell them you're on antibiotics

This!
  • I'm five weeks pregnant, and was just at a New Years party so people definitely wanted to know why I wasn't drinking! I said that lately alcohol had been making me really sick and giving me bad hangovers, so I was taking a break. Everyone understood, and someone else was also not drinking - with the same story as me :D 
  • At Christmas we told my family I was on an antibiotic and couldn't drink (which was true - was taking a z-PAC). I'm not a wine drinker and there's only 1 kind I like and my family gets it for me, so they definitely noticed. While I agree it's not anyone's business's, I do feel like its a normal thing for people to notice.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • dogperson11dogperson11 member
    edited January 2014
    Joy2611 said:

Why can't you just get one glass of wine and walk around with it all night?  I feel like so many people freak over this question and their white lies or dancing around it just make it more obvious.  Get a beverage, walk around like all is normal.  If you act normal, no one will notice that you aren't actually drinking it.

@joy2611 did I miss your BFP?! I've been stalking TTGP!
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • oughtonkoughtonk member
    edited January 2014
    I had a work trip right after I got BFP, my coworkers know I'm a beer and wine drinker when we're on business trips. I played it off like I had been sick and was on meds that I couldn't mix with alcohol, worked like a charm. A few weeks later we were at a get together and I walked around with a glass of wine and my SO would swap me when his got low, I also used the trying to cutback at another get together. Now we've shared the news but it was hard to keep it on the DL because our friends know how I normally am. Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We were waiting for a positive test at Thanksgiving (got a bfn instead) and while I was doing dishes with my sister she offered me a glass of wine but I didn't take it. Then she said "You didn't drink last night either." I said, "Are you kidding? That wasn't tea in my mug it was Baileys!" That calmed her down! 

I know it may seems like nobody's business but seriously, if you are the person who always brings the wine, or has a new cocktail recipe to try at every family gathering people notice when you are not drinking. 

My boss is taking me out to happy hour after a meeting next week-- I'm only 4 weeks pregnant now, and not ready to tell, so I can't quite figure that one out! 
  • Some onset people just notice everything and need explanation. I agree that is easier to tell them you are antibiotics. Then you will get the next question "for what?" Then just say you have a near infection or something and you can't mix alcohol!
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I meant to say "nosey"
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• If anyone asks me at BIL's birthday tomorrow, I am planning to say that my back hurts (which it does) and I took a muscle relaxant (which I obviously didn't) so I don't want to mix drugs with alcohol.

FYI the best way to tip people off is to offer an explanation before they ask, or worse, if your DH/SO tries to tell them as well. If he's all like "NO DON'T GIVE HER THAT DRINK SHE IS TAKING ANTIBIOTICS" they are going to be like "wtf, why is he even telling me this? She must be pg."

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Adrd47 said:
    Tell them your New Years resolution is to stop or cut back on drinking.
    That's a really good one.
  • I went to lunch with my brother at an Irish pub and I usually drink with him and he kept insisting to buy me a drink. All I could think of was my stomach was hurting. Lol. Totally need to come up with a better excuse
  • kateitho said:
    Take Pom juice, and fill your wine glass with that :)
    This one sounds good for sure! Or I would just tell people that I had a headache and just took some tylenol and didn't want to mix the two.
  • Honestly, I would just claim that my stomach was upset from something I ate earlier and I didn't want to irritate it further. At that point I would let them think what they will. 

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
    — The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

• Whilst I am not religious, most of the people in my circle are Mormon, so it isn't really an issue for me, however before I moved here I had a social circle that was quite the opposite, and was legitimately on medication that prevented drinking for well over 6 months. People accept it very easily and don't get suspicious at all - it's rather common. Heck, if you wanted to add to the charade, you can always put tic tacs in a pill bottle :D

• Tell them your New Years resolution was to cut back on your drinking maybe :/, or that you're the DD for the night.
  • coffee beancoffee bean member
    edited January 2014
    I don't know how you feel about it, but what about the alcohol free wine?  Sutter Home Fre?  It actually doesn't taste bad.  Just pour 1 glass and take a sip or two and carry it around.  
    Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • All of my friends knew that we are/were going through fertility treatments so they know my husband and I aren't drinking because of that...we're just keeping up the act (for him) a little while longer until we're further along in the pregnancy. You could just say you made a new year's resolution to be healthier.

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • If you're with someone that knows (SO, Hubs, BFF, whoever), you can do the beer switcharoo (may I suggest pounders, as they aren't see through). I've even had my Hubs take mine, dump it in the bathroom and fill it with water. Hiding and hydrating!
    When I'm out with just friend, I'll just order one and hold on to it or order a few (yes, the money aspect here kind of sucks) and throw them away myself so now one knows.
    I went out last night and told the bartender what was up. I had sprite/cran with a lime- looks like a vodka/cran. You could use tonic or soda water too.

I know a lot of people say folks are being nosy and it's none of their business and they're 100% right but honestly, lots of family and friends have good times that include a beer or 2 (or more! Hah!) and not having one will make people raise an eyebrow. Just the way some groups work! I'll be happy when I can drop the front!

Stoked <3

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • New years resolution or on antibiotics
  • Antibiotics or UTIs work as an excuse.  I had a lot of events like this in my early pregnancy and I drank cranberry juice with club soda, which looked like cranberry and vodka.

When we told one of our friends we were expecting, his reaction was "OMG!  She hasd VODKA last night".  DH had to explain my sneaky tactics.

At one of the functions, I just didn't drink AND I had to throw up several times.  I was certain someone would say something, but no one did.  People are far less perceptive than we think.
  • Poured out my beer at a house party on Saturday and refilled it with Perrier... It was certainly interesting being the only sober one by the end of the night, watching all the drunkos do their thing... :-P

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"