Military Families

breastfeeding and TDY

I knew this was going to happen eventually, but I didn't expect it already. I checked my email this am and I have a class date in April. It will have me away from her for 6w. I am glad I have a stash built up in the freezer so she can continue to have breastmilk, but I am really worried bout my supply tanking. Has anyone attempted to pump while in a class away from LO? I will be attending ALC and am thinking I will message the school to see if they have any lactation rooms available. Typical with any army class we would get a break and I am hoping it will give me time to pump. Any advice?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: breastfeeding and TDY

• Not a TDY for the Army but I went TDY for my civilian job for two weeks.  I won't lie, my supply did dip but some tips.  Call lodging(or hotel) and ask if they have freezers in the rooms. I froze my milk and then put it in a lunch box with a bunch of ice to bring back.  I was four hours from home so one day during the trip I made the drive home to drop off what milk I had pumped.  If you're flying, they prefer frozen milk because if it is thawed they are supposed to test it and make sure it isn't anything contraband.

CJ 05/29/2013

• I wont know about lodging until I get there. The way the orders work are you go to lodging and if they have space they give you a room, but if not they give you a document and send you to an off post hotel. This happened to DH when he went. If that happens to me I will have to account for the commute to class and hope the cooler pack works. I'm thinking worse case if there isn't a room available I could pump in my car (it has an outlet) but because I know the parkinglot tends to get crowded and I may not have time. Do you think it would be weird or unprofessional to call the military university to see if they have accommodations for pumping?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think it would be weird at all to ask about accommodations that are or are not available to you during your class. I have no experience with the TDY while Breastfeeding but be sure you stay super hydrated during your time apart from your LO (which is true even when not separated but be extra vigilant). Have water with you all the time and set yourself goals to be sure you're staying on top of it. Consider drinking Mother's Milk Tea or taking Fenugreek also if your output starts to dip. I know it will be out of your control mostly but stick to a schedule as much as possible (I know, go ahead and laugh). Take videos of your LO and something with their scent to encourage your body. Good luck! Even if you do experience a dip you can totally recover from it when you are reunited, just don't despair and give up.
  • I know two women who took their kids TDY with them and someone at the schoolhouse found them child care before they arrived.  I know another whose mom came and stayed with her to watch the baby.  Whether they give you time and flexibility to pump is anyone's guess.  Definitely call there and see if someone can help you.  The First Sergeant is the first person I would try contacting.  It's his or her job to take care of Soldiers.  Hopefully you'll luck out and it will be a female who's gone through this herself.
  • I've never been away for that long but when I went TDY for a week after DD1 I told the instructors I was pumping and took breaks, I kept the milk in the fridge (only a week) and brought the milk home on the plane with me.  I would certainly tell the instructors and ask lodging for access to a fridge, most will supply one for "medicine."  *note I am a medical officer so my instructors were likely far more familiar with BFing than yours, but I would still inform them and expect then to understand.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"