July 2012 Moms

Gag-barfing, and a cough question

LOL, this post is grosser than I intended it to be.

DS used to gag and barf when he was an infant, and now that he's got a bit of a cough, he's gaggier (and barfier). He eats like one too many bites and then BARF. He acts fine afterwards. Do your LOs do this?

Also, a cough question - he had a cold a few weeks ago and he's got a bit of a lingering cough (so do I). He probably coughs a few times during the day and 3 or 4 times during the night. Does this sound like something I should take him in for now, or can it wait until his 18 month appointment on the 2nd?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Gag-barfing, and a cough question

• What kind of cough is it? If it's just kind of a dry cough then it may just be from dry air. If it's more hacking/mucusy or something I would call Monday and ask.

We have no gagging and barfing here.

• @britbratjf - It's mostly dry, with a little bit of phlegm in there. I'll probably call on Monday to see what they think.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Tucker's had a cough for going on 3 weeks; I took him in on Tuesday and they said it was likely a virus and to just continue with the humidifier, warm baths, honey, Vick's baby rub, etc. So far nothing has helped :( I would call them just in case but you can mention on the phone that you have an upcoming appt.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've taken Keira in with a cough twice now (both around the 2 week mark) and both times they've sent me home with the "it's a virus, you're doing everything you should be, just make her comfortable" spiel. Humidifier, vicks, the menthol bubble bath, steamy bathroom time, lots of fluids.

They always tell me it takes anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for these coughs to go away. So far they've lasted about 6 weeks each time. Sucks, but at least it isn't something more serious.
  • LO almost always has a constant cough. I asked my pedi about it and have even taken her in a few times. She jokingly told me it was what she calls "day care cough" since they get it all the time and it takes weeks to go away. When LO has a cough and is really congested she tends to vomit. Apparently all the mucous just does not sit right in her stomach so the coughing or eating to quickly makes it come up. LO has had a stomach bug twice now and I can tell the difference in her cough/barfing routine. When she barfs from the mucous she only has a small amount and she will eat and drink afterwards. With the stomach bug is is waves of barfing and she will not eat of drink much for days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"