Trying to Get Pregnant

Acne after stopping BCP??

Ever since I went off my BCP at the end of September I've been having super oily skin and acne breakouts!  Has anyone else experienced this and if so does it get better after awhile??  I went to the dermatologist yesterday and she prescribed me Finacea and Clindamycin.  She also said that there is a very limited selection of acne meds for women who are pregnant or trying to conceive.  I really hope it gets better soon, acne at age 29 is pretty embarrassing!  :(  Any tips are welcome.

Re: Acne after stopping BCP??

• Absolutely! When I went off BCP two months ago, my face and scalp went back to how they were when I was a teenager--breakouts and oil. I've been able to get it under control by using a facial cleanser and clarifying lotion/astringent every night (I use Clinique) and I switched to a clarifying shampoo (Nexxus Hydra-light). Both have worked wonders.

Sorry you're running into these hormone-related quirks, too. Hope you're able to find something that works!

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • WillCMyInkWillCMyInk member
    edited December 2013
    I have had similar problems. Changing my shampoo and things drying out because it's winter have helped.

I hope it goes away soon. Mine doesn't seem like it's going to, but I also have PCOS to blame for that.

Edit: words are hard
    Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
    TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
    Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
    BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

• Loading the player...
  • I always have bad acne when not on the pill. The good news is that mine clears up when I'm pregnant. Actually, I kind of know every cycle that fails because of my giant chin zit that appears around 7dpo.
    Ugh i have a huge zit on my chin right now and it hurts like hell...lol not fun
  • Absolutely! When I went off BCP two months ago, my face and scalp went back to how they were when I was a teenager--breakouts and oil. I've been able to get it under control by using a facial cleanser and clarifying lotion/astringent every night (I use Clinique) and I switched to a clarifying shampoo (Nexxus Hydra-light). Both have worked wonders.

Sorry you're running into these hormone-related quirks, too. Hope you're able to find something that works!
    I've always had oily, acne prone skin but it was under control until I went off BCP.  I'm hoping the stuff the doctor gave me will work.  I may have to try that clarifying shampoo myself.
  • NikkiD91 said:
    I always have bad acne when not on the pill. The good news is that mine clears up when I'm pregnant. Actually, I kind of know every cycle that fails because of my giant chin zit that appears around 7dpo.
    Ugh i have a huge zit on my chin right now and it hurts like hell...lol not fun
    I do too! By the time I get it to go away the next one will pop up. 
    Same here!  It's SO annoying!  I can only hope that when I get pregnant it could possibly improve like the dermatologist said, or get worse which would really suck but we'll see.
  • I get hormonal acne... so when on bcp... my acne was non-existant. Now? Every time around ovulation... and the two weeks after, I'm a pimply greasy mess. But now that I know that, I've taken steps to minimize the oil and such (by using different face washes during differnt points in my cycle)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Kirby513 said:

I've been off the pill for 9 months and mine it's still bad. I breakout a ton for O and AF, so I tend to get it under control for a day or so and then I break out like crazy again. It sucks. No advice, maybe see a dermatologist? I just wash my face twice a day and try to keep it make up free when possible.

I'm wondering if I'm close to ovulation and that's why this week my skin has been particularly bad. I've been using the wondfo ovulation strips everyday but still no sign of ovulation yet.
  • I have been off all BCP about 8 months, and my acne got worse and has stayed that way.  About the time it starts to clear up from one cycle, another one starts.  I used ProActiv for a while, but just be prepared for all of your pillow cases to be bleached, the collars of your shirts to get spots of bleached color, and your wash cloths and towels to lose their color.  I did switch to white towels, wash cloths, and sheets, but I could not wear all white collared shirts.  It ended up being too frustrating for me, so I gave up.  I know it works well for a lot of people! 

View Full Size Image      image
  • I also had a total skin/hair change when I went off BCP. My doc prescribed me Clindamycin solution and I feel using my Clarisonic really helps keep my skin clear. I still get breakouts occasionally, but not as much and not as bad.

I'm dying for a Clarisonic! I'm thinking that I'll treat myself to one after Christmas, especially if it will help my skin clear. I've wanted one forever but the price always kept me from buying it.

• NikkiD91 said:

I also had a total skin/hair change when I went off BCP. My doc prescribed me Clindamycin solution and I feel using my Clarisonic really helps keep my skin clear. I still get breakouts occasionally, but not as much and not as bad.

I'm dying for a Clarisonic! I'm thinking that I'll treat myself to one after Christmas, especially if it will help my skin clear. I've wanted one forever but the price always kept me from buying it.

It's worth every penny! It has helped my skin so much in just a month! The results just keep getting better.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Joy1192 said:

NikkiD91 said:

I also had a total skin/hair change when I went off BCP. My doc prescribed me Clindamycin solution and I feel using my Clarisonic really helps keep my skin clear. I still get breakouts occasionally, but not as much and not as bad.

It's worth every penny! It has helped my skin so much in just a month! The results just keep getting better.
    Do you have the original Clarisonic or the Clarisonic Mia? The Mia is a little smaller and less expensive but still gets rave reviews.
  • I feel ya - I look like a teenage pizza face and my hair is getting more oily too! Nothing like getting gray hair and acne at the same time!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• This is the WORST. I actually kind of miss being on BCP for this reason. After having really bad acne in high school, it was so amazing to have clear skin while on BCP. I am even getting acne on my back and shoulders again. UGH!

Formerly Aaren91011
    Trying for baby #1 since July 2013  -  DX: PCOS
    BFP: 2/27/14 - EDD 11/11/14 - MMC 4/21/14 @ 11w (stopped growing @ 9w)
    TTA until January
  • Yep, same here. I've got like 5 small dark spots where old pimples used to be next to my chin. I didn't even pop those pimples, they were like below the skin and then just stuck around as these obnoxious fucking spots that I can't do anything about. It's bullshit.

I'm still experimenting; I've tried an astringent toner, peach scrub face wash, Clinique facial scrub, clean and clear liquid foaming face wash, Dior moisturizer (my skin is really dry), and some urban decay B6 vitamin spray. So far nothing has wowed me.
  • Joins the "adults with zits" club!  It's the worst.  

• This is the WORST. I actually kind of miss being on BCP for this reason. After having really bad acne in high school, it was so amazing to have clear skin while on BCP. I am even getting acne on my back and shoulders again. UGH!
    There's a body wash by Neutrogena for acne on your back and shoulder.  I've used it before and it does help!

• janda426 said:
    Yep, same here. I've got like 5 small dark spots where old pimples used to be next to my chin. I didn't even pop those pimples, they were like below the skin and then just stuck around as these obnoxious fucking spots that I can't do anything about. It's bullshit. I'm still experimenting; I've tried an astringent toner, peach scrub face wash, Clinique facial scrub, clean and clear liquid foaming face wash, Dior moisturizer (my skin is really dry), and some urban decay B6 vitamin spray. So far nothing has wowed me.
    I get those horrible red marks left behind by zits too!  I hate them and they take forever to disappear.  I wash my face with Biore salicylic acid face cleanser, then use Neutrogena astringent as toner, moisturize, then apply Finacea cream. 
  • I'm in the same boat - currently at least 7 pimples now. I still had acne when on bcp, so you can imagine it now that I'm off. Nothing I've used has impressed me either. sounds like I might need to invest in a clarisonic!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Joy1192 said:
    My skin is so oily after not taking birth control. My skin cleared up after high school and was always pretty nice with a minimal routine, and now my skin looks like I use olive oil foundation half way throughout my day!! I have been nervous to use more abrasive cleansers but the clarisonic sounds like a good idea.
    Married 03-10-13
    TTC #1 . BFP 12/17/13, NMC 12/21/13 5w 3d.
    Furbabes Poochie (Jack Russell) & Bella (Pug)
  • I've also struggled a lot with bad acne after going off of BCP... I got a groupon a few months ago for 3 sessions of microdermabrasion, and it really helped to clear it up and lighten some of the scars that formed. It was too expensive to keep continuing without the groupon rate, but the aesthetician recommended Glytone toner to keep results up-- it is AMAZING! Not super pricey, you can find it on Amazon. It has seriously made such a big difference in the look and feel of my skin! Would recommend it to anyone, as long as you use a good moisturizer as well (the toner is great but can be pretty drying).
    TTC#1 since November, 2013

May Siggy Challenge: Favorite Meme

• I too have had horrible acne since stopping BCPs but I do use a clarisonic with Boscia cleanser and it helps it from getting too outta control. My secret is good makeup lol, I use makeup forever brand hd foundation!
  • NikkiD91 said:
    This is the WORST. I actually kind of miss being on BCP for this reason. After having really bad acne in high school, it was so amazing to have clear skin while on BCP. I am even getting acne on my back and shoulders again. UGH!
    There's a body wash by Neutrogena for acne on your back and shoulder.  I've used it before and it does help!
    Thanks! I have been trying the Neutrogena body wash, and it seems to be working a little so far.

@Clarabelle10 - I might have to try that foundation! I switched to drugstore foundation several months ago to save money, but I think it just might be worth investing in the good stuff!

Formerly Aaren91011
    Trying for baby #1 since July 2013  -  DX: PCOS
    BFP: 2/27/14 - EDD 11/11/14 - MMC 4/21/14 @ 11w (stopped growing @ 9w)
    TTA until January
  • Lots and lots of backne. Good thing it's winter time. Proactiv back kit seems to be working.

Married and started TTC in July 2013

"Diagnosed" with unexplained infertility
    Oct 2014 IUI #1: 100mg clomid/HCG trigger/2 mature follicles/18mil post wash sperm count: BFP!!!

• I also had a total skin/hair change when I went off BCP. My doc prescribed me Clindamycin solution and I feel using my Clarisonic really helps keep my skin clear. I still get breakouts occasionally, but not as much and not as bad.

I just started using Clindamycin lotion and so far so good, hopefully it lasts!
  • Ever since I came off the pill almost a year ago I've had the same thing. I breakout like clockwork about a week before my period. sucks!
  • sjanine said:

Joy1192 said:

NikkiD91 said:

My skin is so oily after not taking birth control. My skin cleared up after high school and was always pretty nice with a minimal routine, and now my skin looks like I use olive oil foundation half way throughout my day!! I have been nervous to use more abrasive cleansers but the clarisonic sounds like a good idea.

They make these oil absorbing sheets that soak up oil on your face without messing up your make up. I've been using for them for years now! Good to use for a touch up mid day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"