Blended Families

Moving!

stephcarterstephcarter member
edited December 2013 in Blended Families

Hey everyone! I know I haven't been over here in a while, but for the most part things have been going ok with SD and BM. SD's older sister got her license and picks up SD for BM so there haven't been too many visitation issues. BM did go a few weeks without heat and was pissed that DH wouldn't let her keep SD overnight without heat, but she got over it.

Anyways, I've got a question about moving. We are in the process of buying a house. It would be easy to show its in SD's best interest to move. Its a bigger house, on a gorgeous lake, its a single family home rather than a townhouse with a big yard. The schools are amazing. Its in the same state, even in the same county, as we are now. Its about 15 minutes from where we are now.

The issue is, I can see BM having a problem with this. There is no bus stop nearby and I'm pretty sure SD's sister isnt going to want to be spending an hour commuting to take SD to BM (SD's sister doesnt even spend time with BM, she just picks up SD, drops her off, and leaves). Anyone here know if BM can fight us moving since we are in the same county and in the best interest of the child simply because she doesn't have a drivers license and it may make things harder on her?

TIA!

ETA - we have primary custody. SD goes to her moms 1 day a week after school until 7pm and every other Saturday from 2pm until 7pm Sunday.

Re: Moving!

• She can fight you but I don't think anything would happen. Your only 15 minutes difference and in the same county. You could always offer to meet sister somewhere close to your old house if it was a big deal.
  • What does your court order say?

Ours specifies distance, and the fact that we have to give 60 days notice in order to allow the other party to bring it back to court to stop the move.
  • Loading the player...
  • ambrvanambrvan member
    edited December 2013
    As long as it will not interfere or change the current CO, then there should be no issue. She can protest and petition for a change of custody, but as long as your move does not change the CO, it should not matter. I'd you have joint legal, then if SD has to change schools, that part may be an issue. But the move should not be.

ETA: Honestly, the perks of your new house don't mean diddily squat in this either. We see often enough that a BM who lives with her parents in a two bedroom house and has no job yet never spends more than four hours at a time with child still has primary custody over very involved BD who has a large number where child would have own bedroom and a job that not only provides well but also leaves plenty of family time.
  • It shouldn't matter but does the CO have any restrictions? I can move anywhere within my county or any county touching my county and BD can't say a word because I have primary right to set residence for DD. Same goes for BM and my SKs, except unfortunately for us and the kids that means she's moved 3 times in the last 12 months and there's nothing we can do really.
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• My CO doesn't have anything about distance, but I have to give 30 days written notice, list my new address and phone number, list benefits for the child for moving, and list any alterations to the visitation that might need to be addressed. Then my ex could contest me or not.

I'm thinking your CO will tell let you know if she can contest the move, but I'm doubting she can for a 15 minute move.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • nothing in the CO about moving at all :(

I have a feeling that shes going to try to fight it. she fought us taking SD to disney world...

• Is it a new school district?

Being bigger, on a lake and not a TH aren't really "in the best interest of the child". Perhaps it's time to figure out what you can do to make this less inconvenient for all involved. You are moving, because you want to, and that's fine, but a lot of people are going to be impacted by your move so time to figure out how to minimize that.
  • ambrvanambrvan member
    edited December 2013

Is it a new school district?

Being bigger, on a lake and not a TH aren't really "in the best interest of the child". Perhaps it's time to figure out what you can do to make this less inconvenient for all involved. You are moving, because you want to, and that's fine, but a lot of people are going to be impacted by your move so time to figure out how to minimize that.

Actually some could argue that being on a lake is negative for families with children (drowning risk). Just saying.

nothing in the CO about moving at all :(

I have a feeling that shes going to try to fight it. she fought us taking SD to disney world...

Really? What did she gave to say about Disney World? Did y'all have to go to court over that?
  • @xmaryrickx it is a new school district. The schools are rated at a 9, ours are currently a 7. Minimizing the impact won't be too hard on the Saturdays but it might be impossible during the week.

@ambrvan when she moved last time (we didn't fight it) she put the fact that they had a pool as an advantage. Also, SD is 10 and has had swim lessons so I'm not sure if she'll be able successfully argue us moving based on the lake. She fought us on Disney World simply because she was mad that she couldn't afford to take her and we could. "It's not fair" was her reasoning. She even told SD (who was 4 at the time) that Disney world was an adults only resort! We did have to go to court. And we won. We now each get two weeks vaca time with her over the summer. BM has never used that time.

She's very bitter. But it's her own fault that she is in the situation she is.

• @xmaryrickx it is a new school district. The schools are rated at a 9, ours are currently a 7. Minimizing the impact won't be too hard on the Saturdays but it might be impossible during the week.

@ambrvan when she moved last time (we didn't fight it) she put the fact that they had a pool as an advantage. Also, SD is 10 and has had swim lessons so I'm not sure if she'll be able successfully argue us moving based on the lake. She fought us on Disney World simply because she was mad that she couldn't afford to take her and we could. "It's not fair" was her reasoning. She even told SD (who was 4 at the time) that Disney world was an adults only resort! We did have to go to court. And we won. We now each get two weeks vaca time with her over the summer. BM has never used that time.

She's very bitter. But it's her own fault that she is in the situation she is.

Wow that is crazy about Disney World.

And just because you list subverting in your petition doesn't mean it gets taken into account other than to show you are petty (not taking about you here so don't take that the wrong way). But I do think that if she argued safety in regards to the lake, SD having had swim lessons might help last that to rest.

Like I and others have said, the only thing you really probably have to think about is how to keep the CO and visitation the same. Unless there is a history of BM consistently not taking weeknight visits, a judge probably would not like the idea of cutting those out. But I doubt a fifteen minute change would be enough for a court the warrant that change.
  • She has been pretty consistent with picking up SD on the Mondays after school. A judge yelled at her a while back because she would call us after SD was already supposed to be picked up saying she couldnt make it. Since then, there were only a few times were she couldn't make it or forgot. But those were all before SD's sister got her license. Hopefully SD's sister will still want to pick her up even though its going to be a bit further for her. I completely understand that it isn't SD's responsibility though.

When looking in the paperwork, I found the letter she wrote to us when she moved. She gave us less than 2 weeks notice. So almost 2 months notice should be plenty, i hope! 

• Usually the loophole there is "or as soon as possible" because sometimes there are situations where you can't give notice in the standard amount of time (which is usually 30-60 days, I believe).

Our old CO said we needed the other parent's permission to move more than 100 miles away and than in the case of any move, the other parent must be notified in writing of address change within 30 days of intended move or as soon as possible.

I'm not sure what it current CO says. I can't remember right now.
  • Can you offer to transport for Bm? The only leg she would have to stand on is if you're proposing to take SD out of her current school district and Bm could be the option to allow her to stay enrolled. Judges are all about continuity and stability for a child.

I would speak to an attorney, then bend over backwards for Bm to prove that you are trying to ensure Bm continues to have an ongoing relationship with the child.

In our CO we cannot move out of the school district but everyone's is different
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree w/ @Nineoceans about providing transport on the Mondays.  If SD's sister isn't into coming all the way to your new place, I'd offer to take her half way.  I realize that might be in the middle of work or something, but I think most places would work with you around this kind of thing.

However, I'm guessing sister will be OK with the extra distance as long as it doesn't eat into any other obligations (job, school work, sports); I loved driving when I was in High School, any excuse to run an errand made me happy.
    If being a math nerd is wrong, I don't wanna be right!
  • Offering transportation for BM on those weeknights will be tough. DH and I both work in Philly and we live in NJ.

Also, and I'm about to sound like a complete bitch here- I think that would be a bit ridiculous. I looked it up, its 27 minutes from her house. Right now we are 18 minutes away. So we should drive a half hour to drop her off after school, drive a half hour back home. Then drive out a half hour to pick her up and another half hour back. 2 hour commute for less than a 4 hour visit? Because we want to move less than 10 minutes further away from her house now. All because she's a loser and lost her license?

It's just so frustrating. I guess we'll find out on Monday when DH tells her we are moving.

• If it comes down to it I would think you could offer meet partway, so you could drive the extra 10 minutes and they could do the same distance as before. Or you could each do one way. But I don't think it should come down to that. 10 minutes more just isn't that much farther, and they may not even blink. Is there a standard distance in your state that you could look at for a guideline? I know there is here and it's automatically included in the CO's. If you knew what it is for your state it would give you a guide as to what a judge will find reasonable.

image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"