Pregnant after 35

How has your beauty routine changed?

I have tried to keep up with business as usual, but there are some things that I know will have to change.  As bikini area shaving gets more difficult, I will switch to waxing.  I prefer waxing anyway but have been trying to save money.  Since my hair is doing so great on prenantal vitamins I have switched to a 2 in 1 shampoo.  As my doctor has recommended, I have been taking more baths to soak my hips and back and it is getting more awkward to shampoo and condition my hair.  I was just wondering how everyone else has altered their normal routine and if anyone has any tips they might want to share to help make life easier :)

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

Re: How has your beauty routine changed?

• My "beauty" routine has turned into a "bare minimum personal hygeine" routine ;) I do bathe (rather than shower) every day to help with sore back and hips. I usually shampoo every 2nd  or 3rd day in the bath water then drain and use the shower hose attachment to rinse conditioner in clean water. Shaving is not a priority at all. I usually put on some mascara and powder during the drive to work. No frills right now, and I'm  OK with that.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• I second that, zazu13! Right now beauty is not high on my priority list and I feel okay with that. I have gotten dolled up for my husband's company Christmas party and a girl's night out with friends. Other than that, it's being clean and having brushed hair and maybe mascara and lip gloss.
  • Loading the player...
  • So far, my only big change is lotioning religiously after showering! Mustela over the belly is a must for me or I'm scratching all day!

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• I was a big fan of dry shampoo even before the pregnancy, but it's really a lifesaver now.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • No change whatsoever.
  • my hubby likes when I wear makeup but I hear the revlon lipstick I use has lead in it and that's what makes it stay on so long so I'm afraid to use it. It's so hard to find healthy makeup in the stores!! I see online but I have no idea what color to order then.

I spray my perfume on my clothes and not on my skin. Anything to keep toxins away from the miracle growing inside me!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The big change for me has been less makeup -- my facial skin has been too dry to wear foundation. When I have tried it just looks creepy and gross. So it is just moisturizer. But my skin seems to appreicate it! Other than the dry patches it looks very healthy! lol

imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • I have become lazy! I promised myself yesterday to take better care of my hair and skin. My hair is very full right now, but very dry, due to swimming. I want to use a rich hairmask at least once a week, and maybe some hair oil. And yesterday I have switched my moisturizer to a richer one, since my skin has gotten dry and flaky. I am planning on using almond oil on my belly and back every night, not 2-3 times a week as before.

I wash my hair every 2-3 days, otherwise it gets too dry, and I think I'll keep doing it. Other than that, not much... 

• The big change for me has been less makeup -- my facial skin has been too dry to wear foundation. When I have tried it just looks creepy and gross. So it is just moisturizer. But my skin seems to appreicate it! Other than the dry patches it looks very healthy! lol

Have you tried a BB cream? It's lighter and less drying than normal foundation. Or, I have been suggested to mix a drop of BB cream with a drop of regular foundation to give a moisturizing but still noticeable effect.

• @chirico3 yep, I have tried the BB creams, too, and they are not much better! However, I did find a product from Benefit called Girl Meets Pearl which is just a skin "luminizer" and that seems to at least help brighten up my face without amplifying the dry spots. :)
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Beauty routine?  What's that?   I've been shower-brush-clothes-go for as long as I can remember.  Ok some days shave is part of shower.  No makeup or anything ever.  
    So far the only change I've found or had to make is needing more moisturizer even than I usually do in the winter and really needing it on my face (because of visibly dry skin ... I've looked at antiwrinkle creams from time to time but never could settle on one so don't use and now would be too concerned about ingredients) for the first time.  
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Right now, just trying to figure out how to safely combat pregnancy acne. :/

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• I'm 34 weeks along & I admit, my first thought was, "What beauty routine?" I also have 2 yr old so that's a factor as well. I only wash my hair every few days (hey, you asked!) & shaving is rare. So is blow drying my hair--it's just a ponytail or a braid nowadays. I do keep up with my highlights, though. I moisturizer my face every day; between hormones & winter dry air, I feel like an alligator if I don't! When my son naps, I usually choose napping myself over getting myself together. When we have a party to go to & I actually get hair blown dry, makeup on, etc. I feel so much better though!
  • This is too funny. I think I just go a little nutty when I get to the 3rd trimester. My last baby (10yrs ago) I went a bit wacky, I had long, past my but long, hair. I pulled it up with a scrunchie and cut it off to my shoulders. This time, I have given myself some sort of bangs? Plus I am in the transition stage of wanting to accept these silver strands gracefully, but instead I dyed my hair a garnet color (natural, oil-based).  I live in Oregon so the chances of breaking a sweat is slim, I can go a week or more without washing my hair, it's thick and curly so it works, but I love showers, baths, etc. Since I have been pregnant, I have sometimes taken 2 showers a day just to feel the warm water. I had to change to a carrot moisturizer. I went through this weird thing for a few weeks, dry sinuses which caused mouth breathing and drool while i slept, I would wake up crusty and concerned I had some fungus thing but nope, just sexy drool. Glad that stage is over.
  • CosMayah said:
     I went through this weird thing for a few weeks, dry sinuses which caused mouth breathing and drool while i slept, I would wake up crusty and concerned I had some fungus thing but nope, just sexy drool. Glad that stage is over.
    UGH!  I can't wait for that stage to be over!  The drool thing is no fun!

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

• I am one of those pregnant women whose hair/nails are not activated by the hormones - body hair seems to slow to a halt, hair on my head is not lush or fast growing, just stringy (!) and nails are brittle.  Yay!  I also have an 18 m toddler, so I keep the daily stuff at a minimum - bb cream for the face, a little makeup during the work week.  Cut my hair pretty short, shower daily but rarely shave and try to keep up with my hair color and nails via professionals every month or two as a special treat. That's how I'm rollin' these days.  :D
  • I stopped using my face lotion cause it had retinol. Washing my face n lightly exfoliating 2x/day w/ all natural soap. I'm using grape seed oil w/ a few drops of Lav and Tea Tree EO's as my face moisturizer. Same but w/ avocado oil for body. Acne is getting better now that I'm more diligent. Still early in pregnancy, so only diff's so far. Oh yea, and my silver/white roots are gettin pretty long ;)
    <{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 <a href="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Ovulation Calculator">BabyFruit Ticker}>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"