3rd Trimester

Not allowed to board cruise ship :(

So yesterday we flew all the way from Philly to Miami for a Bahamas cruise vacation with Royal Carribbean. I was not yet pregnant when I booked the trip 10 months ago, and when I found out I was pregnant, was told by an agent that I needed a medical note from my OB clearing me for travel in order to board, which I had. Well, I was denied boarding because their policy is no pregnant women over 24 weeks. I understand they don't want the liability, but was furious I wasn't told this. They are not refundig our money either. I am to blame for trusting what I was told by the agent over the phone and not looking their rules up online, but it was still an extremely upsetting situation as you can imagine. I just wanted to share this information with the board just incase anyone was unaware of this policy as I was. I hope that my story might save someone else from ending up in this situation! Thousands of dollars lost- A lesson learned the hard way :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Not allowed to board cruise ship :(

• Oh wow! 24 weeks?! That's nuts! I can't believe they wouldn't let you go after all of that. You know, it's not like you live right down the street and can just walk down there or anything, it's not like it's cheap to take a cruise. I'd be furious too. I'm so sorry :( Maybe you could try to contact a higher up and tell them what happened and possibly get a refund?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I've been on the phone most of the day arguing for a refund. The best they can do is refund the taxes and fees, which will hopefully be about $300. I guess that's better than nothing! I also think 24 weeks is really ridiculous. That's not even all the way through the second trimester! 28-30 weeks seems to be a more reasonable cut-off IMO. My OB's "no more travel policy" is 36 weeks! She was completely fine with me going on this trip!

• Loading the player...
  • ktpaladinoktpaladino member
    edited December 2013
    I did not book through a travel agent. We are pretty much just screwed :( The cruise line booking agent didn't necessarily misinform me, just omitted some obviously VERY lucrative details. I understand that they can't and shouldn't make exceptions. Like I said, I hope this post will help make women more aware of the cruise ships' policies so they don't find themselves in my situation.

• Yeah, I would keep going higher. I travel with RC whenever we cruise, most of the time when you speak to an agent they have to open your account information and they are able to notate information about the conversation. I would keep trying and see if anything better could be done, especially since you were there and willing to board. 

We had a cruise planned for this September (anniversary cruise) but decided to postpone it until after baby. Thankfully the cruise lines were really great about rescheduling and moving our deposit. 

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
    — The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

• I had a cruise scheduled before I found out I was pregnant and my cruise ships policy does not allow pregnant women to travel after 25 weeks. Once I found this out I sent them a letter from my doctor stating that I would be more than 25 weeks at the time of the cruise. After they received the letter from my doctor they refunded all of the money my Fiance and I had paid because it was a medical condition. I would definitely look into it more and get your money back.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We took a cruise when I was almost exactly 24 weeks. I didn't even think to check policy until a few weeks before and then I was freaking out that they would stop me even with a doctors note. I am so sorry you were turned away.

I didn't think of it because it was so early in the pregnancy and my doctor never expressed concerns so I naturally thought that everything would be fine.
  • I completely understand why they don't want anyone taking a cruise 24 weeks and later but it still sucks for you because you're pregnant and I'm sure you were looking forward to this little vacation before baby comes! Were you going to take your son with you or was it just going to be a mommy daddy vacation?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We looked into cruising when we were planning a babymoon, but decided on all inclusive in Carribean because of this restriction-it seems to be universal with all the cruiselines.  We have also learned that it seems to be pretty standard that babys cannot cruise until they are 6 months of age.....just some information for everyone who might be considering this type of trip.  Sorry that your travel plans got messed up, I would hold your travel agent responsible.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • @ktpaladino  that really stinks.  even if the rules were on their website, i would think that their agent should have made that clear when you asked what was needed to board the ship.  should have been a standard "you need a dr.'s note but cannot travel after 24 weeks regardless". sounds like their error.  i have had good outcomes by using social media to express displeasure with companies.  if you have a twitter account, tag royal carribean in it and start talking about how you were screwed.  believe me, their customer service/complaint resolution people will get back to you very quickly.  good luck! 
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • I completely understand why they don't want anyone taking a cruise 24 weeks and later but it still sucks for you because you're pregnant and I'm sure you were looking forward to this little vacation before baby comes! Were you going to take your son with you or was it just going to be a mommy daddy vacation?

My son was staying with his Grammie. It was not originally a "Babymoon" for us since I booked it before I was pregnant, but that's kind of what it turned into. We were really looking forward to it.

• psk said:

Did you keep a record of your conversation? Like the name of whomever you spoke with? I only ask because I feel like the no pregnant women after week 24 is pretty clear, I don't know how or why I even knew that before I got pregnant since we are not cruise people at all... But if the cruise line representative told you differently, I would push the issue further. Keep pushing for a refund or maybe a credit to use later. IF you have already accepted the settlement with your taxes refunded, it might be more difficult.

It was so long ago that I spoke to the cruise line agent- back in June when I found out I was pregnant, so I don't remember their name. And, they didn't really give me incorrect info, they just didn't give me ALL the info I needed. Like the 24 week thing- kind of a big deal! But Royal Caribbean wins the argument because their full policy is clearly stated online, which I neglected to double check. I'm so upset with myself.

edited December 2013

I had a cruise scheduled before I found out I was pregnant and my cruise ships policy does not allow pregnant women to travel after 25 weeks. Once I found this out I sent them a letter from my doctor stating that I would be more than 25 weeks at the time of the cruise. After they received the letter from my doctor they refunded all of the money my Fiance and I had paid because it was a medical condition. I would definitely look into it more and get your money back.

This is good to know. I may write a letter as a last ditch effort just to say I did everything I could to try to get our money back.

I even tried to get a credit towards a future cruise with them but they were not even willing to do that. Which is absurd because if we were to re-book, we would probably end up doing a longer trip which would be more money. But now we will likely never use Royal Carinbean again, so they are really losing out on their end.

• Pretty sure all cruise lines have this rule. Seems like something pretty big not to double check before leaving.

Trust me, after being out thousands of dollars, I am kicking myself. We were first time cruisers though, so I really had no idea about this issue. Also being the mom of a young toddler, it was something that never crossed my mind much with how busy we've been and a lot of other things I have on my plate right now. Such is life.

And like a PP said, 24 weeks is far, FAR earlier than my OB's no travel cut off, so I was just wrongly assuming it was fine. It's been a hard pill to swallow!

edited December 2013
    jezebel57 said:

@ktpaladino  that really stinks.  even if the rules were on their website, i would think that their agent should have made that clear when you asked what was needed to board the ship.  should have been a standard "you need a dr.'s note but cannot travel after 24 weeks regardless". sounds like their error.  i have had good outcomes by using social media to express displeasure with companies.  if you have a twitter account, tag royal carribean in it and start talking about how you were screwed.  believe me, their customer service/complaint resolution people will get back to you very quickly.  good luck! 

Your first point is kind of my same thinking on the situation. Although everything is stated online, not everyone has the ability to check that. The agent I spoke to definitely left out the most important detail!

I don't have twitter, but I do have Facebook. Maybe I can post something there?

• RedheadBaker said:

The rule is plainly stated on RC's website. It's not a big secret.

I agree. And OP--- RC really is great! The only cruise line we cruise with. I hope this doesn't turn you off from them forever.

• I've never been on a cruise or plan to take one, but I know the cut off is 24 weeks. Hope you can get a refund.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Did you pay with a credit card? Can you dispute the charges?

• @ktpaladino  that really stinks.  even if the rules were on their website, i would think that their agent should have made that clear when you asked what was needed to board the ship.  should have been a standard "you need a dr.'s note but cannot travel after 24 weeks regardless". sounds like their error.  i have had good outcomes by using social media to express displeasure with companies.  if you have a twitter account, tag royal carribean in it and start talking about how you were screwed.  believe me, their customer service/complaint resolution people will get back to you very quickly.  good luck! 
    Your first point is kind of my same thinking on the situation. Although everything is stated online, not everyone has the ability to check that. The agent I spoke to definitely left out the most important detail!
    may not do as much unless you tag them which i don't know if its possible on fB.  maybe worth signing up for a twitter account just for this.  believe me, someone will get back to you asap and ask for more details to look into issue.  unless it was on the terms and conditions when you agreed to it when you paid on website, i would think it's their fault for not making it clear.  you should at least be able to get a voucher for future trip.  they don't want bad publicity.  
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Berry30 said:

Did you pay with a credit card? Can you dispute the charges?

Yes, we did. I did not think of this- maybe this is something to explore.

edited December 2013
    JennaRaek said:

RedheadBaker said:

I agree. And OP--- RC really is great! The only cruise line we cruise with. I hope this doesn't turn you off from them forever.

I can see now that it is very clearly stated on their website, but I was just too inexperienced and naive to look for myself after I had already spoken to a RC agent over the phone and was told all I needed was a medical note clearing me for travel.

I also just think it is morally wrong to not give a refund, or at the very least, a voucher towards future travel when the cruise was booked 10.5 months ago, before I was even pregnant. It just seems wrong and unfair to me, even though I made a mistake by not checking the website. It's crappy customer service- the RC agent refused to let me talk to a higher up b/c she said I would just get the same answer.

Honestly it has turned me off to the company. I don't think we will be using RC if we decide to cruise in the future.

• JennaRaek said:

RedheadBaker said:

Agree'd. It's the only line we will ever use aside from Disney. I really love cruising with RC and I feel like most of the time they try their best to accommodate. 

ktpaladino - It does suck that this happened, but in the future whenever you are taking a trip, it's usually best to call and reconfirm EVERYTHING within 30 days of travel. Cruise lines, do tend to change their policies fairly often ( especially when it comes to things like international port of calls) and the only way to be sure of what is what is to do the due diligence of double/triple checking.

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”

• OP, I'm bummed for you.  This is a policy common to all the cruise lines as far as I know, and I'm sad that NO ONE thought to tell you that you couldn't cruise…not even your doctor, a friend, your boss, etc, ya know?  Not that it was their job to tell you what you can do, but I think its somewhat common knowledge that cruises do not allow passengers more than 24 weeks pregnant on board.  I hope you find a way to get some money back.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My son was staying with his Grammie. It was not originally a "Babymoon" for us since I booked it before I was pregnant, but that's kind of what it turned into. We were really looking forward to it.

Oh no, now that really is frustrating! This was supposed to be your last hoorah before baby came! I'm sorry.

edited December 2013
    Thanks everyone for the advice and support. I know I'm a totally absent minded idiot with bad pregnancy brain! LOL! But I have learned my lesson and the good news is it it won't happen again to us! I just hope it doesn't happen to anyone else cause it really sucks! The workers at RC did say it happens about once a week, which first made me feel better cause I'm not the only airhead, but then it made me feel sad that so many people have to go through it. I really hope this post will help make this policy more common knowledge.

• OP, I'm bummed for you.  This is a policy common to all the cruise lines as far as I know, and I'm sad that NO ONE thought to tell you that you couldn't cruise…not even your doctor, a friend, your boss, etc, ya know?  Not that it was their job to tell you what you can do, but I think its somewhat common knowledge that cruises do not allow passengers more than 24 weeks pregnant on board.  I hope you find a way to get some money back.

I agree with this. I know the policy and would certainly tell a pregnant friend if they mentioned going on a cruise. It's too bad that no one was able to warn you.

imageimage

• Should have purchased insurance.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Seriously I can't believe how some people are giving this girl a hard time, that's all I can say.
    Sorry you had to go through this, sounds really disappointing. Hoping they do the right thing and give you a refund. Write them a nice letter saying how much you were looking forward to it and how disappointed you were. Royal Caribbean is a good company and if you get to the right people, they should help you. A lot of customer service reps just go by the books and many times they don't have authoriTy to make certain decisions.

Good luck!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • icoelho said:
    Seriously I can't believe how some people are giving this girl a hard time, that's all I can say. Sorry you had to go through this, sounds really disappointing. Hoping they do the right thing and give you a refund. Write them a nice letter saying how much you were looking forward to it and how disappointed you were. Royal Caribbean is a good company and if you get to the right people, they should help you. A lot of customer service reps just go by the books and many times they don't have authoriTy to make certain decisions. Good luck!!
    I think most people have been pretty sympathetic.  It's a crappy situation, and as OP has said, a painful lesson learned.

However, I don't think OP should get a refund.  RC wasn't able to resell their cabin because they didn't know that she wouldn't be able to travel.  That was potential revenue they ate.  If they do give her a refund, guess who eats that cost?  Future travelers.  They have to make up the money they lost somehow, so they raise the cost for everyone else.  

So while I feel bad for OP, in the end, it was her mistake, and if the cruise line refunds her money, we all feel it.
  • I know it is a pretty generic rule for cruise ships b/c when we took a honeymoon cruise, we were first time cruisers so I literally read every question answer even if it didn't apply to me at the time. I'm surprised the booking agent wouldn't be well versed on reasons someone would be denied cruising, especially when you had asked about the doctors note. Don't give up, contact the BBB, get ahold of their corporate office, see if you can dispute the charges through your bank, etc. Don't give up yet!!
    Pregnant with #3, after thee, three's complete!!
  • This suggestion may have already been made, but at the very least I would demand that the cruise line allow me to rebook or extend on a "raincheck" type of deal. That way, at least you could use the cruise in the future. And I would be after the website/agent I booked with for not being clear and straightforward.
    edited December 2013
    jezebel57 said:
    @ktpaladino  that really stinks.  even if the rules were on their website, i would think that their agent should have made that clear when you asked what was needed to board the ship.  should have been a standard "you need a dr.'s note but cannot travel after 24 weeks regardless". sounds like their error.  i have had good outcomes by using social media to express displeasure with companies.  if you have a twitter account, tag royal carribean in it and start talking about how you were screwed.  believe me, their customer service/complaint resolution people will get back to you very quickly.  good luck! 
    may not do as much unless you tag them which i don't know if its possible on fB.  maybe worth signing up for a twitter account just for this.  believe me, someone will get back to you asap and ask for more details to look into issue.  unless it was on the terms and conditions when you agreed to it when you paid on website, i would think it's their fault for not making it clear.  you should at least be able to get a voucher for future trip.  they don't want bad publicity.  
    Yes, it is in the terms. And very clear, and common knowledge.

There is no reason for her to make a public spectacle of herself- she screwed up, not them. They don't owe her a thing. She should have checked the policies sooner than the day she showed up to board. 

Actually, it is not common knowledge. If this happens to at least one person a week as I was told by RC, there are apparently a lot of people unaware of this policy as I was. I am not not trying to make a spectacle of myself, only trying to help others from getting caught in my situation in the future. I thought this post would be beneficial to other pregnant women. I have admitted numerous times it was my mistake.

• FemShep said:
    icoelho said:
    Seriously I can't believe how some people are giving this girl a hard time, that's all I can say. Sorry you had to go through this, sounds really disappointing. Hoping they do the right thing and give you a refund. Write them a nice letter saying how much you were looking forward to it and how disappointed you were. Royal Caribbean is a good company and if you get to the right people, they should help you. A lot of customer service reps just go by the books and many times they don't have authoriTy to make certain decisions. Good luck!!
    I think most people have been pretty sympathetic.  It's a crappy situation, and as OP has said, a painful lesson learned.

However, I don't think OP should get a refund.  RC wasn't able to resell their cabin because they didn't know that she wouldn't be able to travel.  That was potential revenue they ate.  If they do give her a refund, guess who eats that cost?  Future travelers.  They have to make up the money they lost somehow, so they raise the cost for everyone else.  

So while I feel bad for OP, in the end, it was her mistake, and if the cruise line refunds her money, we all feel it.

I was trying to get a refund a few days ago when the situation was fresh and I was still upset. After processing what's happened over the past few days, I now see all the implications of refunding our money and how it does affect others. I am still, however, going to write a letter to try to get credited for future travel with the company, as some PP's are suggesting. They were not willing to do this when I first spoke with them, but maybe after a little more prodding they will agree to that. No biggie if they can't....its not like I'll be able to cruise anytime soon anyhow with the new baby coming! And I agree most have been sympathetic, as I thanked everyone for in my PP.

• If nothing else, maybe they would offer you a discounted rate on a next cruise - it makes sense - they can recoup some of what they lost, and you don't take a double hit to the wallet. 

• Oh no. I'm sorry that happened.
  • aceboom said:

I would be sooooooo damn livid. 1. Letters to company executives and customer service managers. 2. Names of all persons providing inaccurate information to you 3. Description of reason why they refused to REFUND all of your money. 4th and last, wrap this all up and send it to the local news station where the call center is, your city, and the headquarters. They should be ashamed for the lack I training they provided I the booking agent. I hope you get your money back and a cruise paid in full in the best room they have on the ship

Yeah, why blame yourself for your own oversight when you can yell at other people about it. Why should anyone be responsible for their own actions (or inability to read the fine print) anymore?

I am sure local news stations have better stories to report than "coming up at 11! Local woman neglects to find out if she is medically able to go on cruise. Despite the policy that is widely known that you can cannot cruise after 24 weeks, and on the company's website, she decided to go anyway and they turned her away"
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • aceboom said:
    I would be sooooooo damn livid. 1. Letters to company executives and customer service managers. 2. Names of all persons providing inaccurate information to you 3. Description of reason why they refused to REFUND all of your money. 4th and last, wrap this all up and send it to the local news station where the call center is, your city, and the headquarters. They should be ashamed for the lack I training they provided I the booking agent. I hope you get your money back and a cruise paid in full in the best room they have on the ship
    LOL

LOL yeah, not really worth all that for my mistake. Don't have the time or energy!

• No offence but this whole post made me LOL. As a travel agent (which you should have used instead of going directly to RCL) and former cruise ship crew member, it really is common Knowledge and written very clearly in your passage contract which you should have read at time of booking. By agreeing to that passage contract, you take full responsibility for your ignorance. Next time. 1. Use a travel agent and 2. Buy travel insurance.

• ANDYLEAH said:
    No offence but this whole post made me LOL. As a travel agent (which you should have used instead of going directly to RCL) and former cruise ship crew member, it really is common Knowledge and written very clearly in your passage contract which you should have read at time of booking. By agreeing to that passage contract, you take full responsibility for your ignorance. Next time. 1. Use a travel agent and 2. Buy travel insurance.

The trip was a birthday group event and was originally booked by a friend, hence the lack of info I received at the start. Big mistake, I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"