Pregnant after 35

Sturdy and warm maternity clothes?

Please pardon if this post repeats old questions but I did a search before posting and didn't find much that really helped.  I'm hoping that some of you might share my preference for practical clothes and opinion that jeggings and skinny jeans are silly and anyway we've "been there done that" with stirrup pants in the 80s and tight tapered jeans in the late 80s/early90s.  Though of course if you've got the long lean legs and can rock that look now, go for it!  I just don't.  :)

Do sturdy, warm, preferably affordable, preferably cotton, maternity clothes, especially pants, exist?  If so, where does one find them?  Any chance they exist in short/petite lengths? (I'm 5'4" with short legs and have never learned to hem pants which of course I should, but ... no time!).  Everything seems so thin and flimsy.  And expensive!!  I'm totally a cheapskate about clothes and paying more than I pay for regular pants when they are flimsier and anyway will only be for a few months (I make regular pants last at least 3-4 years) just seems so wrong!  

By warm I mean suitable for winter in Maine when my classroom is at the outside corner of a very old drafty building with an ancient thermostat that can only be set to too warm or to too cold and between those too cold is better.  Also then there is playground duty.  By sturdy I mean that I am moving around and up and down from the floor constantly (1st grade) and am just generally not too careful about clothes.  I also keep keys, etc. in my pockets and am lost without pockets.  Basically all winter I wear khakis or jean-cut corduroys (and real jeans on Fridays) with a turtleneck and a sweater.  

My regular pants were all a little loose so I've still been able to wear them but it feels like that is going to end in the next week or two.  I don't think I can feel OK doing the thing where you keep wearing regular pants but leave them unbuttoned and use a hair elastic and/or a bella band ... just seems too likely to end in a "wardrobe malfunction" when I reach to get something off a high shelf or staple something to the wall or get up from the rug, etc. ...   

I'm also really not a leggings person - I don't have long thin legs, and also really don't think I'd feel "covered" enough if I wore leggings to work, plus I have wide and bad (need arch support due to old sprains) feet so can't wear cute shoes/boots that look good with leggings.  I usually wear trail sneakers and just figure my pants mostly hide them.  And most leggings are not really warm.  

Any advice or tips for warm and practical maternity clothes?  TIA!
Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!

Re: Sturdy and warm maternity clothes?

• I understand the overall exasperation with finding good maternity clothes. I can't particularly give you advice on what is warmest (I live in CA where it is cold for me at 60 degrees), but I would suggest checking out Motherhood Maternity online. I bought some things from them, and the selection and prices are both pretty decent. Seem to be a lot of reviews on most products as well which I found helpful. I tried to do the bella band/pants unbuttoned thing and it just wasn't comfortable for me. Also not a big fan of leggings. Motherhood has some cute cords and pants and Gap does also (a bit more expensive but I bought a pair and like them a lot).
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • I am living in my jeans and cords from motherhood maternity. I'm 5 4 and their petite sizes work for me without hemming in a low heel (clogs). Hope that helps.
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have similar complaints, I am so used to wearing high heels because I'm 5'2"- but now not so comfortable with 3+"heels.  I am wearing thick tights underneath my maternity pants b/c yes they are thin material and rather cheaply made.  I bought several pair of maternity pants of zuilily.  I cannot afford and or didn't want to spend $80+ dollars on one pair of pants so I chose to get the lower quality online.  They will hopefully hold up for this pregnancy but if I were expecting to have another pregnancy I would not count on them lasting...  I think Pea in the Pod clothes are of higher quality but the price reflects that as well.  I have found as I get rounder I don't mind the leggings look quite so much I just ensure I am wearing a long sweater (or two). Good luck on finding a wardrome to keep you warm and comfortable!

• I haven't tried them, but I've heard Old Navy maternity has some good stuff that's more substantial. Btw, I am very tall (about 5'10), and I always joke that only shorter women are supposed to get preggers. I have a hard time finding pants long enough, so I end up with leggings and boots a lot. Or skirts with very thick tights. So moral of the story for me is... There is apparently a single model for all maternity clothes, and if you aren't her, well too bad for you! Lol. Feeling your pain.
  • I love leggings so I can't help you there but I live in AK so I understand the need for warmth.  I also despised adjusting my regular pants during my 1st pregnancy (the day I finally broke down and bought a real pair of maternity jeans i swear I could hear a band of angels singing).

I wear a ton of cute knee length skirts/ dresses with cardigans and a small accent belt. I'm not sure if you are opposed to tights but there are really great wool tights that are pretty durable and warm.  Pair with a pair of warm boots or danskos and you are set!

I'm not sure if this would be appropriate for work but a knee length skhoop with leggings (I know, sorry!) or yoga pants underneath would be cute with a turtle neck or sweater.

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• SkiHorseSkiHorse member
    edited December 2013
    I have gotten most of my warmer clothes from Destination Maternity/A Pea in the Pod.  Motherhood is their cheapest line, but it seems durable enough for the few months you'll need it.  Unfortunately, the best time to buy the winter clothes is when they're on sale.  I scored a half-price Motherhood overcoat back in August; it's just thick polyester felt, not real wool, but it has been okay for all but the coldest days here in Colorado. I also have a couple of decent cotton cardigans. Sure, wool would be better -- too pricey for a few months' use, in my view, though. 

For work, I mostly wear maternity dresses with tights, boots, and the overcoat.  For casual, I wear jeans, long-sleeved tops, and/or a sweater with boots and that same coat. (ETA: For maternity jeans and cords, I have mostly relied on Gap and Destination Maternity.  I loved the Gap jeans and cords until I got too big for the below-the-belly style.  They have lasted 2 pregnancies.  When I needed the over-the-belly type in my third trimester, I got some decent ones on sale through Destination Maternity.)

Another option to consider is non-maternity brands that carry loose, flowing clothes.  I have a couple of items like that, including a merino wool flyaway cardigan, from J. Jill. I'm in my third trimester this winter, though, so very few normal clothes fit me.
  • Oh, Target has good sweaters! Andtheyhave cute coats. Also, I haven't gotten that big with this pregnancy or the other one, so really just buying stuff other than pants and skirts a size up worked really well.
  • I have struggled with similar concerns- being winter some of the pants seem a bit flimsy and I don't want to invest in to many clothes (due Feb 1).  Fortunately I can wear jeans to work and the ones I have liked the best (although still not REALLY winter- like) are the dark jeans from Thyme at Babies 'R Us.  It's really the belly band that is most comfy.  I have seen-  I believe its Destination Maternity/Pea in the Pod list maternity fleece leggings that I have been tempted to buy for under the pants but have not committed to it yet.  I have found Old Navy to be just as sturdy as regular clothes- in other words- not the greatest quality.

A longer winter coat has also helped somewhat- can you check consignment shops?  Or even thrift stores for some heavy duty pants in a larger size and head to a tailor?  I thought I would need to just keep buying larger sizes as I grew but having that belly band sewn in grows with you- so if you tailor anything I would make sure they are reliable.  I can only imagine finding petite sizes is rough- I used to work for a women's clothing store and shorter women were always relieved we had petites!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    2006:diagnosed w/ PCOS
    ...2010: 4 unsuccessful fertility tx's
    Jan 2013: angel baby @9 weeks... May 2013- we're pregnant!
    OCT 2013- married the love of my life
    FEB 2014- baby girl is due!!

• Thank you, all!  I found a pair of corduroys at Goodwill today, so that's a start ... I forget if they are Gap or Old Navy ones (and clearly a few years old, from the looser leg/bootcut era not the current skinny nonsense).  They don't fit perfectly (though actually a bit better than regular Gap/Old Navy pants have ever fit me ... they generally don't at all) but ... they were 1/2 off so only $2.50 and they look OK rolled up which helps with the length problem.  And it was hard to pass up for $2.50.  At least now I'll have something on hand in case my belly gets really too big for my old regular pants too suddenly.

I had tried on jeans at Target which fit well except for the length (and it was nice that they were in numbered sizes not just SML) but I seem to have missed the boat on them having short lengths even online - they're on clearance which would be great except they are out of my size. :(   Paying $35 for jeans that are too long is just too annoying so no on those for now.   

Hoping to have time to look for more during the holiday vacation week, and the recommendations from you all will help. Also hoping to find stores that actually have maternity clothes there (not just sold online) so I can try them on.

Oh I did also order a maternity sweater from Target.  and a pair of leggings for home and/or to substitute for regular longjohns which have too tight of a waistband.  

I'm really hoping my regular coat which is really pretty big/loose around the belly will fit OK for at least most of the winter and then maybe I'll just commandeer my husband's extra coat.  I care even less about fashion for winter coats than for normal clothes - warm and waterproof (the wool and wool-like ones aren't so practical for playground duty, car-clearing, shoveling, etc...) are much bigger priorities.  And not spending a fortune. :)  
  • I love leggings so I can't help you there but I live in AK so I understand the need for warmth.  I also despised adjusting my regular pants during my 1st pregnancy (the day I finally broke down and bought a real pair of maternity jeans i swear I could hear a band of angels singing).

I wear a ton of cute knee length skirts/ dresses with cardigans and a small accent belt. I'm not sure if you are opposed to tights but there are really great wool tights that are pretty durable and warm.  Pair with a pair of warm boots or danskos and you are set!

I'm not sure if this would be appropriate for work but a knee length skhoop with leggings (I know, sorry!) or yoga pants underneath would be cute with a turtle neck or sweater.

I've never been able to wear skirts with tights and not have them end up clinging.  Even with a slip/petticoat. How do you manage it?   I really am clothing-impaired!  Luckily I can use needing to be down on the floor a lot (with 1st graders) as an excuse to not dress very nicely - I'd never be able to make it in a suit- or even regular business-attire workplace!  Sadly jeans are still supposed to be only Fridays.  

Yoga pants with a very long sweater could definitely end up being an option, since they're flared and hide shoes.  Danskos don't fit me either, and between the wide feet and having pretty chunky calves, I've never found cute boots to wear.  Not even snow boots, forget wear-indoors boots!  My snow boots are men's ones from LLBean that look like really overgrown hiking boots - they are the only ones I found that were comfy!  Actually some cheapo (and also mens) mud boots are pretty good too and useful for many things around the yard, but are not warm.  Nor cute.  
  • I've hit several thrift/consignment stores and found good and comfy stuff--sturdy, too. I have also liked Kohl's (you can shop their website) and Target. Motherhood has had some good sweaters, but nothing I've fallen in ♥ with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"