February 2014 Moms
Options

Non-Stress Tests

sdlaurasdlaura member
edited December 2013 in February 2014 Moms

Have any of you had to have these in prior pregnancies, or regularly in this pregnancy?

Due to baby's heart defects, my new high risk OB wants me to do them twice a week starting at 34 weeks (next week).  I had the impression that they hook you up to a machine to monitor for like 20 minutes, but they told me they would take 1-1.5 hours each time because they also include an ultrasound to check amniotic fluid.  There is no indication that baby's heart defects would impact amniotic fluid levels, but I guess it's part of the standard NST.

The hospital where I have to do them is 40 minutes from home and 45 minutes from work, and there is terrible traffic during rush hours.  I want to follow doctor's orders and do what is best for my baby, but it seems a little bit like overkill to take essentially a full day off from work each week for the next six weeks for this.

I'm going to do them, I'm really just venting!

BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg

Re: Non-Stress Tests

• Options
    I didn't have an ultrasound with the last baby (weekly NSTs) BUT, it sometimes would take an hour because they had to monitor 20 minutes after they got 3 big kicks, and it sometimes took awhile to get those kicks in.

• Options
    Interesting that you ladies didn't have ultrasounds each time.  I am already getting other ultrasounds from my OB and for fetal echos.  I'm not afraid of ultrasounds, but it doesn't really seem necessary to me to do so many.  I think I'll talk to my doctor about it.  Maybe I can just do them once a week or something instead of twice.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm doing NST's weekly now because of my GD diagnosis. I've had one so far, and it was a simple procedure where they hook you up to a fetal monitor for 20 minutes. I also had a little device to push whenever I felt the baby kick. The whole thing was actually really relaxing. 

They did an U/S this past week, but that won't be part of my normal routine. I know they'll do another growth scan at some point, but it won't be weekly.

I know it sucks to take off work once a week, but in my opinion, it's worth it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I didn't have an ultrasound with the NST, but I was on the weekly NST on Tuesday, Ultrasound on Thursday schedule.  So there was an ultrasound, just not on the same day as my NST

• Options
    With DD they always did and ultrasound after. When all was said and done it was about an 1-1.5hrs.

• Options
    I have to have them weekly along with a Biophysical profile which is the ultrasound part.  I just have both on different days for some reason.

My NSTs take about 20 minutes and the BPPs take probably 10, but there's always a bit of a wait for an ultrasound room/tech, so maybe that's what they're factoring into the time.

I know it's a pain going so often, but it's really reassuring when everything looks good and knowing that if something were wrong, they'd catch it.
  • Options
    I had nsts twice a week with dd1. No ultrasound but they always took forever (usually more than an hour) because she was not a mover. Unless something new comes up this time I won't be having them. I'm kind of torn about it because it was a pain and took a lot of time. But it was nice to have the reassurance that she was doing well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yes I had them with my DS and will again with this one starting at 34 weeks twice a week. It's nothing big but just being something to do! I'm gonna take my kindle and get my read on!
    Good luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"