Baby Names
Options

Answered - Thanks for your input

becky3211becky3211 member
edited December 2013 in Baby Names
Looking for honest opinions. DH and I will be having our baby via C-section in 10 days. We don't know 100% that baby is a girl but we can't seem to find the right name.

We seem to be drawn to names that start with K or D and won't consider names beginning with J or L because too many family members have names with those letters. I really love more boyish names that can grow with them and not sound too little girl (my girl dogs are Riley and Dakota) and our family have recently named little girls Emery, Avery, Rylan, Sawyer, and Kendall. DH likes the idea of Jalyn for a middle name since it is a combination of our MN's. Any suggestions? Current ideas are:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married Best Friend: 8.18.12 | BFP: 4.28.13 | DD: 12.30.13 

Baby Girl Names 176 votes

Kaley (worried people wont pronounce it correctly)
2% 4 votes
Kailey (alternate spelling to Kaley)
5% 9 votes
Devon
11% 20 votes
Raeana
3% 6 votes
Mason (we love this as a boy name but might like it as a girl's name)
2% 4 votes
Kelsey
30% 54 votes
Kyla
33% 59 votes
Kylie
11% 20 votes

Re: Answered - Thanks for your input

• Options

I voted for Devon, but I prefer the Devin spelling.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Joy2611 said:
    Kyla.  Or Devon.

Please don't put Mason on a girl.  Or Kailey.  Or Kylie.  Or whatever Raeana is.
    I really don't think we would use Mason but my husband is so worried someone will take our boy name...and he was surprised to see it listed as a unisex name.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    julesgileadjulesgilead member
    edited December 2013
    I love Kelsey! Devon is also really cute. While I don't dislike "boy" names on girls as much as many here, I don't think Mason works as well on a girl, and don't really like it as a boy name either. Raeanna has too many vowels together and looks uncomfortable, although it sounds pretty. Perhaps a compound first name, like Rae Anna or Rae-Anna? Kailey is alright, but I prefer Hailey. Would totally use the "ai" spelling because the other one is difficult to pronounce. Kylie is also okay but NMS. I don't like Kyla at all.

Suggestions: Kendra, Davina, Cameron.
  • Options
    Er... I voted for Kelsey but it's not something I would ever consider.

I'm sick of Mason even on boys - please don't do that to your daughter.

• Options
    I knew a Kylie growing up so I don't think it's a *crazy* name. That being said, I picked Kylie, but not sure if it goes with the middle name. Kylie Jalyn. too many y's. Devon would go with it, but that's a boys name. 
    Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family

• Options
    I know a Kyla and really like the name on her.

What about Kiera?

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Options
    People can't steal names ether. If you like a name then who cares if someone else "took" it. Mason is not a unisex name. Baby name sites just do that because crazy people put boy names on girls and then they call it unisex. 

• Options
    Kelsey or Kylie.
  • Options
    I thought this was a baby girl name list? Devon and Mason don't belong here. I'm not sure what Raeanna is. Kyla by default if I have to choose.
    How about Kiera, Kara, Lilah, Molly, Mila, Mia, Maya, Clara

imageimage

• Options
    Unlike many on this board, I don't hate Kailey, but I do think it sounds a bit 'little girl'. I think Kyla is the best one on your list. Kelsey is fine too. Is this middle name set in stone? Jalyn sounds incredibly unattractive to me. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    Unlike many on this board, I don't hate Kailey, but I do think it sounds a bit 'little girl'. I think Kyla is the best one on your list. Kelsey is fine too. Is this middle name set in stone? Jalyn sounds incredibly unattractive to me. 

The hard part is getting DH to agree to a name. His top 3 contenders are Kaley/Kailey, Kylie and Kelsey. I'm not a fan of the MN Jalyn and I don't think that it goes with the names that we have but I'll worry about that after we have a first name.

Maybe you ladies can tell me if I'm wrong:

I feel like Kyla sounds like you had a lisp and meant to say Kayla but it was something different than Kylie that DH loves.

Raeana sounds pretty but I agree it looks funny on paper. I knew a girl in college with that as her name and it sounded so pretty but DH thinks it is too girly and doesn't like a NN of Rae.

Mason has been my boy name since I was in high school and it was awesome that DH loves it too but I agree it is better suited for a boy and I'm disappointed in how popular it is online although I don't know any Masons IRL.

Kailey/Kaley is a name that I don't love or hate. I worry though that it sounds too much like a little girl.

Really looking for advice on a name that will transition well through life without being too girly or too weird. Help!

• Options
    becky3211 said:

The hard part is getting DH to agree to a name. His top 3 contenders are Kaley/Kailey, Kylie and Kelsey. I'm not a fan of the MN Jalyn and I don't think that it goes with the names that we have but I'll worry about that after we have a first name.

Maybe you ladies can tell me if I'm wrong:

I feel like Kyla sounds like you had a lisp and meant to say Kayla but it was something different than Kylie that DH loves.

Raeana sounds pretty but I agree it looks funny on paper. I knew a girl in college with that as her name and it sounded so pretty but DH thinks it is too girly and doesn't like a NN of Rae.

Mason has been my boy name since I was in high school and it was awesome that DH loves it too but I agree it is better suited for a boy and I'm disappointed in how popular it is online although I don't know any Masons IRL.

Kailey/Kaley is a name that I don't love or hate. I worry though that it sounds too much like a little girl.

Really looking for advice on a name that will transition well through life without being too girly or too weird. Help!

Instead of Kyla: Myla

Instead of Raeanna: Rayna

Instead of Mason: Morgan or Maren

Instead of Kaley: Keeley or Chelsea

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I went to school with a Kyla so it's just a natural to me as Kayla
  • Options
    I knew a girl named Kyla, I like the name. I've taught a few Kayleigh's but they've been spelled like that. No concern for mispronunciation. One went by Kay occasionally, so there's and "adult" option?
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
  • Options

I voted Kelsey, but I'm not loving any of them.  As far as unisex names (if that's what you're looking for specifically), I like Devin, Morgan, Avery, Taylor (though I would never use these myself).  I feel like there are a lot of beautiful girl names out there and surely you could compromise with one of them.  I honestly don't mind Kelsey, but feel it's a little dated.

PLEASE do not use Mason on a girl.  Mason doesn't get a lot of love on this board, but I actually like it for a BOY.

Instead of Kyla, what about Lila/Lilah?

Kaley/Kailey will be one of those names dated to a specific generation.  Plus I feel it's too cutesy and won't age well.

I like Kylie, but I feel it won't age well either.

Not sure what Raeana is, but it sounds and looks all wrong.

Suggestions:  Mia, Mila (pronounced mee-lah), Hadley, Kendall, Katherine nn Katie or Kate, Natalie, Mallory.

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Kelsey by default?

Mason and Devon/Devin are boy names. Not unisex. Slapping on them on a girl just means a girl with a boy name.

The Ky-names aren't atrocious they're just nms at all. I lump them with a bunch of other cutesy names without real meaning.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Kelsey by default.  You have to be really careful with K names, because they can easily sound cutesy and juvenile.  From your DH's top three, I would never guess that you were trying to give your daughter a name that would not sound too little girl.  Kelsey is okay, but Kailey is like the epitome of cutesy eternal little girl names.  There is a lot of middle ground between boy names and cutesy girl names; PPs have given some good suggestions.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    Sorry I dislike the MN and most all of the FN. Kelsey I guess, but more because it's only decent in that list. But I generally don't like too many K names either.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm a little confused by this list. I find Kailey, Kyla and Kylie to be VERY girly/cutesy, then there's Mason which is like naming a little girl Jonathan to me. I voted for Kelsey, but it's tied with Devon for me on this list (and I don't care for either). Because of the cutesy K phase I think that Kelsey might fall into that. And how is Jalyn pronounced? Jay-lynn? 
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I really don't like any of them:( sorry!
  • Options
    I voted for Kyla (I went to school with one too!).
    Who voted for Mason?!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I like Mya. Personally if I was going with an unusual or complicated MN, I would find a simple FN to accompany it.

Started the "Baby Discussion" (for the bazillionth time): 12/2013 (Began financial overhaul to prep for baby)

PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I voted for Kelsey but I don't love any of them. Other suggestions (sorry for any repeats):

Chelsea (I actually really like this one), Brooke, Brooklyn, Leta, Sloane, Hadley, Brynn, Brenna, Nola, Everly, Greer, Darcy, Dana, Morgan, Piper, Arden, Luna, Bette, Erin, Raina, Veda
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options
    Adding Kyra as a suggestion for you
  • Options
    I'm a little confused. Your OP says you like more boyish names but then you have these frilly names that don't age well (I put all the K names you listed in that list). I really don't care for your list. Mason is so overdone on boys and on a girl that's just awful. The only one I don't mind is Devon. And that is mediocre at best.
  • Options
    Thank you all for confirming what I already knew...we don't have the right name. I'm not in love with any of them and was just going along with the "K" names that DH liked. It looks like we will be starting over with a 9 days to go. Thanks for your honesty...this is the hardest decision that we've ever had to make and don't want to screw it up! Thanks again!

• Options
    I've only seen Devon for a girl and Devin for a boy...and I've know a couple of each.

I voted Kelsey, and it's an alright name. If you like "unisex" how about Cameron or Casey? I, in general don't like unisex, but these are okay options.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What about Kelly? Classic and not too girly.
  • Options
    I like Kyla but spelled Kaila.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I voted for Devon but prefer the spelling Devin. Other suggestions: Marlowe, Ryan/Ryann, Shelby, Arden or Morgan?
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    The only reason I voted for Raeanna is because it sounds best with your middle name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"