Natural Birth
Options

Oy, big baby induction talk

I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead.  Doc already through the I word out there.  Give me your best articles arguing against induction for size please, I want to go to my next appt  well armed. thank you kindly

Re: Oy, big baby induction talk

• Options

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    oh and this https://www.improvingbirth.org/2013/03/march-20-2013-news-from-acog-re-elective-procedures/ which is from ACOG an OB recognized organization

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mines a bit reversed situation; the articles likely do not apply to your situation, but maybe my experience will give you an idea or be encouraging. B/c my 1st was nearly LGA, I was given the induction heads up for my 2nd. I measured regular both pgs and DS was estimated as regular with 39w u/s, but as I mentioned DD was nearly LGA and come to find out DS was LGA; both spontaneous labor, delivered vag. In my case I believe it's Ethnicity and found articles to support more rapid fetal growth and shorter gestation in DH's ethnic group. Babe and body negotiated it the 1st time and I hoped they would again - they did. That said I was willing to consider induction for a valid medical concern - which was not presented and was moot as labor began prior to any scheduling. If I could measure regular and bear big babies, then obviously other women can deliver big (or regular) babies whether or not they measure big (or regular). Wishing your situation has clarity and goes smoothly.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• Options
    I think simply stating that you are choosing to follow the ACOG guidelines for induction should be enough to stop the discussion dead in it's tracks.

For what it's worth with my first I was always measuring at least two weeks behind, sometimes as many as three.  DD was born at 40w3d, 7lb15oz and 21 inches long.  With DS I think I consistently measured a week behind, born at 40w3d, 8lb12oz and 20.5 inches long.  It's so inaccurate, I seriously wouldn't give it a second though, unless you have other factors such as GD or something.

This seems like a red flag to me, are your confident this doctor will support your birth wishes?

• Options
    I Was measuring 3-4 weeks ahead until DD dropped. Then I was measuring behind. ACOG's guidelines: https://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0701/p169.html. The link above to evidence based birth is amazing. But seriously just telling them that you prefer to follow ACOGs guidelines on the matter should shut them right up. If not, it's never too late to switch :(

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When you say measuring ahead do you mean fundal height or baby's estimated size via u/s?
    ACOG doesn't recommend inducing unless baby is looking like 11lbs+, so that alone should be sufficient to stop the conversation barring other factors that are influencing the push towards inducing.

I'd also be nervous about what kind of sign this is for how truly intervention-free friendly this Dr actually is.

imageimage
  • Options
    ACOG never recommends inducing for a big baby. @booger+bear- why on earth would they try to force an 11 pound baby out of the vagina? If the estimated fetal weight is 10.5 pounds or larger at term (on your due date) then they offer a c-section. You can decline it. You best chance for a vaginal birth is going into labor on your own, regardless of size. 
    TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

• Options
    dmhrn13 said:
    ACOG never recommends inducing for a big baby. @booger+bear- why on earth would they try to force an 11 pound baby out of the vagina? If the estimated fetal weight is 10.5 pounds or larger at term (on your due date) then they offer a c-section. You can decline it. You best chance for a vaginal birth is going into labor on your own, regardless of size. 
    Sorry that was quick typing trying to bump at work on my end and my thoughts weren't clear except in my head lol. I meant to say it's not even until baby is looking 11+lbs that they recommend csect and never inducing for size.  Apparently I need to type ALL the words I'm thinking.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"