February 2014 Moms
Options

When to buy baby clothes

So along with not having a crib yet, we also have zero baby clothes.  Am I seriously behind on this?  How long do babies stay in newborn sizes typically? 

Re: When to buy baby clothes

• Options
    We only have 3 outfits for baby....all gifts. feeling really behind. Also not sure what sizes to buy/look for deals on. Haven't had any growth scans so have no real idea how big this LO is in there!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  
      Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm a spaz and can't stop buying clothes!!! I agree with lots of comfy sleepers and onsies for the smaller sizes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the PP who recommended preemie clothes based on what you've told us about your baby's size. Most big babies (my DD was 8 lb 9 oz) are in newborn clothes for at least several weeks. I highly recommend footed sleepers with zippers, like these: https://www.target.com/p/gerber-newborn-boys-3-pack-zip-front-sleep-n-play-blue/-/A-14359503#prodSlot=large_1_2 Our daughter lived in these at first - they are so easy for the really frequent diaper changes. The Gerber ones run small.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    I bought 3 nb sleepers a bit ago. I fully expect to have an 8 lb + baby, so I imagine they won't fit for long! but I didn't want to have him or her come into the world and nothing to wear.

And then yesterday everything at Baby Gap was 40% off. I bought 5 sleepers in 0-3 months, and 2 hats. I'd been eyeing them for a while but they were too expensive. But they went on sale, and then I got the special 40% off promotion as well. So it's not something I could resist!

We don't have much else in the baby stuff department yet. Waiting until Boxing Day (Canada's answer to Black Friday)
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options

I'd get on that right away! lol Isn't there a chance you'll deliver early? That said, we didn't use our crib for the first 3-4 months... at all!

I'd buy some newborn/0-3 sized sleepers and onesies. It may not be a bad idea for you to have a preemie outfit or two.

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2013
    There's a children's consignment store where I live that sells second hand baby clothes for between 1 and 5 dollars a piece - most of them are brand names like Baby Gap etc, and some still have the tags on them!!

I spent $100 and got piles and piles of adorable clothes in newborn sizeand 3-6months.. A gigantic stack, including little sweaters, some fuzzy suits and a little Old Navy snowsuit! This kid is set!!

Buying baby clothes second hand makes so much sense. I have a handful of new items too, but babies only fit into their clothes for a short time. Another reason why second hand baby stuff is so gently used - if it was used at all! My nephew had tons of stuff that he didn't even get a chance to wear before he grew out of them.
  • Options
    versedversed member
    edited December 2013
    My big guy was only in newborn for sleepers a week or two, and then we moved into 0-3. My kid was also in 9m sizes before 4m-old. So, he's obviously not typical. However, just goes to show that you don't know what sizes you'll need. Luckily, this baby is a different season, so we should get use out of the long-sleeve 3-6m clothes DS never wore.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    See if there's a once upon a child near you- I know there's one up by me, not that I'm far, but I bet there's a closer one. They usually have onesies 10 for $10! Last time i went we got 10 onesies and a handful of sleepers for $20. They're used, but after washing they'll be just fine! :)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Also, @djtippietoes are you having a shower? People tend to give a lot of clothing at the shower. I'd get some now and the bulk of clothing after.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    ziggy903 said:
    See if there's a once upon a child near you- I know there's one up by me, not that I'm far, but I bet there's a closer one. They usually have onesies 10 for $10! Last time i went we got 10 onesies and a handful of sleepers for $20. They're used, but after washing they'll be just fine! :)
    Just googled it.  There's one in Sandy Springs, which isn't too far.  Maybe I'll go after my appointment on Monday.  And yeah, having a shower but it's just not until mid Jan.
  • Options

My 8lb 4oz DS wore newborn sleepers for about 3 weeks. I had about 5 that I rotated. :) 0-3 month SWALLOWED him... but I will say the Gerber sleepers run SMALL!! 0-3 in a Gerber is the same as newborn. So don't just go by what the sizes say. Also, Target brand Circo runs short and wide.

We had new and used clothes for DS1. I don't mind spending more, especially now, for clothes because I know DS2 will get use out of them as well. I stock up at end of season sales for the next season (it was hard to do during the first 12 months bc DS grew SO fast).

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DD was in NB clothes until 4months old. She was 7lbs 6oz when she was born and 13lbs at 4 mos. She started wearing 0-3mos around 2 mos. We didn't use many onsies just sleep and plays. I had maybe 2 nb outfits when she was born and had to send my mom out to get more. We had about 8 sleepers in each size and had to do laundry almost daily. IMO when it comes to buying baby clothes, your damned if you do damned if you don't more often then not.

• Options

This babe is different since I got handed boxes of stuff from NB - 2T.

But with DD I remember getting a few sleepers (preemie, NB and 0-3) and got gifted lots. My advice would be get the minimum until after you get most of your gifts. My experience is that if people get clothing, they often get smaller sizes so you'll probably get lots of that.

I second the opinion that baby will wear mostly sleepers for the first little while. My favourite ones are from A Child's Place. I don't enjoy fumbling with buttons in the middle of the night!

• Options
    I'd wait until after your shower to see what/how much you get from that. Everyone told me people don't buy clothes for boys - that's a lie, lol.  While we got a TON of outfits, almost all were nb or 0-3m sizes (some of which he never even wore) and we needed bigger sizes.

After the shower, I'd hit the consignment sales and/or clearance racks. They grow quickly that first year and tend to not spend too long in sizes so it's good to have more in the 6m+ range.

We also had people bring us clothes when they came to visit after LO was born. People seem to love buying small baby clothes.

imageimage
  • Options
    I ditto what PP's have said about consignment shops! 

But as a side note -- my little sister was legitimately freaked out by me getting used clothing for the baby. She very seriously suggested I call my doctor and make sure that was okay. I laughed at her, which pissed her off, because "used clothing can have have GERMS and you're going to hurt your baby!!!!!!!!!" Oh dear.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Team Green so we haven't bought a lot of outfits; maybe like 4-5.  I bought mostly 0-3 months (7-11 lbs).  We will go crazy shopping for clothes when we know if we have a son or a daughter.
  • Options

But as a side note -- my little sister was legitimately freaked out by me getting used clothing for the baby. She very seriously suggested I call my doctor and make sure that was okay. I laughed at her, which pissed her off, because "used clothing can have have GERMS and you're going to hurt your baby!!!!!!!!!" Oh dear.

This made me giggle!! Probably because it reminds me of my SIL- so sweet, but where do these things come from?? Lol

I think my exact response to her was "It's called a washing machine, you freak."

Pregnancy has obliterated my internal filter. Whatever I think comes out of my mouth. Sorry I'm not sorry!

• Options
    Codypup said:

This made me giggle!! Probably because it reminds me of my SIL- so sweet, but where do these things come from?? Lol

I think my exact response to her was "It's called a washing machine, you freak."

Pregnancy has obliterated my internal filter. Whatever I think comes out of my mouth. Sorry I'm not sorry!
    Bwuahahaha, love your response. As if there are no germs/icky things on brand new clothes from the manufacturing plant, warehouse, shipping boxes, all the shoppers who've touched it at the store, etc?

Is she aware that the human body is actually covered in germs/organisms? You may not want to tell her actually.

imageimage
  • Options

Bwuahahaha, love your response. As if there are no germs/icky things on brand new clothes from the manufacturing plant, warehouse, shipping boxes, all the shoppers who've touched it at the store, etc?

Is she aware that the human body is actually covered in germs/organisms? You may not want to tell her actually.

This is the same sister who almost had a panic attack at the thought of going into Goodwill. I have NO idea where this bizarre anti-used-clothing thing came from, because she really is normal in every other way. 

• Options
    slwprincessslwprincess member
    edited December 2013
    ziggy903 said:
    Just googled it.  There's one in Sandy Springs, which isn't too far.  Maybe I'll go after my appointment on Monday.  And yeah, having a shower but it's just not until mid Jan.
    Also look for Kid 2 Kid Consignments and Tadpoles(I think that's what its called?) And I also agree... don't buy a ton until after all your showers.  People LOVE buying baby clothes!  Oh and check Kohl's, JCPenney, and Carters after Christmas next week.  You can usually score some deals.  As for how many, if you think you may be having a smaller baby then definitely get several NB sleepers.  Newborns (particularly boys) tend to pee/poop out of their diapers a lot those first few weeks.  I swear, there were days when he went through 6 outfits!  But they do grow fast so don't go overboard either.  And one more thing... to be clear:

This is what I call a onesie (also known as a "bodysuit") and I do not recommend these for newborns (too hard to get over their head and might irritate the cord stump).

This is what I call a sleeper and they are PERFECT for the newborn phase.  Bonus points if you can find the ones with zippers instead of snaps for quick nighttime diaper changes :-)

• Options
    I'm a spaz and can't stop buying clothes!!! I agree with lots of comfy sleepers and onsies for the smaller sizes!
    Jaw dropped in awe of your organization. I am ready for the first 3-4 months, but I am a bit shamed into kicking it up a notch in presentation :)
    >Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"