2nd Trimester
Options

Almost 18 weeks and not feeling movement, normal?

I am pregnant with my third child and I haven't felt the baby move yet. With my first I didn't but that is pretty typical however with my second I started feeling her move really early. When I had my appointment they couldn't find the baby's heartbeat and then an ultrasound revealed that the placenta is thicker than usual so maybe this is why. I asked my doctor about it at my last appointment and she said it's nothing to worry about but I still haven't felt any movement yet and now I'm beginning to worry. Is there any one else this far along still not feeling movement?

Re: Almost 18 weeks and not feeling movement, normal?

• Options
    If your doctor said not to worry, don't stress over it.

• Options
    I never felt DD until 21-22 weeks. I remember seeing her kick like crazy during the 20week anatomy scan but could not feel a thing, even the tech was surprised!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not sure, all my doctor told me is that my placenta is thick and that's why they had a hard time finding the baby's heart beat. But it seems to me that I should be feeling movement by now. My last doctors appointment was two weeks ago and the doctor said I should be feeling movement within that week but still no movement yet. I'm going to call the doctor's office on Monday and let them know I'm still not feeling movement
  • Options
    Thats how I was at my last appointment. They couldnt hear the heartbeat on the doppler, so I had to get an ultrasound, and baby was doing just fine in there. I remember feeling my first baby by this time already. But I've gained some weight since I had my daughter and they say my placenta is up front so that could be part of the reason why I havent felt anything big yet.
    good luck and keep us posted.
    If you knew better, you'd do better.
  • Options
    It's ok. My second I felt very rarely. Dd1 was a ninja. Baby 3 is active I feel him a lot. It's all about placenta placenta and where they are attached
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Options
    I'm a 2nd time mum & this little lady has only really started with really noticeable kicks since about wk 21.... I'm now just shy of 23wks & sometimes I still don't feel her all the time!
    Relax.....I'm sure all is fine & ur thick placenta will def have something to do with it :o)
  • Options
    food_chickfood_chick member
    edited November 2013
    I hear ya!  This is my third and I felt both my boys by 15 weeks.  This one I might have felt something starting around 16 weeks, but wasn't sure until 18.  It was hard, especially because this was right after a mmc.  But finally starting to feel movement daily now, not as much as I remember feeling at this point with previous pregnancies, but at least more regular.  I have my u/s monday and I'm really curious to see if I have an anterior placenta.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    BFP 5/12/13 mmc 6/14/13

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Hello!  My doctor is surprised that I cannot feel our sweet little girl yet-- because she is moving around in there like a slippery noodle.  I think, though, that I feel subtle pokes and moves now.  I am almost 26 weeks, so, I am sure they will get stronger everyday.  I do, though, have an anterior placenta, which makes it more difficult to feel her moves.  Hang in there, you will feel it-- if you are that worried, I would talk to your doctor about it-- after all, you are paying them! :)
  • Options
    This is my first and I've been feeling movement since just before 17 weeks.  And I always know where the baby is because it likes to move so much.  

But if they say to wait a bit, then just wait.  
  • Options
    I didn't feel my lo till about 22 weeks, I am at 27 now and all I can do is feel her kick. My placenta is up front also. give it some time, it will happen :)
    imagePregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Thank you ladies, I guess I should work on my patience but feeling the baby move is one of the most exciting parts of pregnancy, I also tend to be a worrier which doesn't help either. I'm sure my doctor will tell me I'm worrying for nothing but I will still call on Monday :D Hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend!!
  • Options
    I felt nothing til 25 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Hi there, I started feeling movement at 16 weeks but it was barely noticeable. I would only feel the little taps when I was laying flat and totally still. Even now at 18 weeks I still don't notice consistent movement. I have to really pay attention. This is my 3rd baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am 18w6d and I felt the baby for the first time yesterday. You could see my stomach roll and the girls and daddy were able to feel it on the outside also!! Was a CRAZY feeling. So just hang in there. I am really tiny so my doctor told me I would probably feel it sooner then others. 
  • Options
    This is my second pregnancy and was told that I have an anterior placenta. That being said I started to feel movement about 23 weeks (currently 26 weeks). I was not worried, not because of the placenta placement, but because I did not feel my first until I was well into my late 20's weeks and even then she was not that active of a baby. I know that it is hard but be patient, you might end up with an all night kicker. :)
  • Options
    With my son i felt him move around 14/15 weeks, with this baby i felt it starting at 11 weeks with light flutters and now at 17 weeks i am into full on kicks already. But everyone is different and i have heard it takes some people a lot longer. I am sure it is fine. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    imageimage 
  • Options
    I'm 14w6 days and i think i might have felt my E.T. moving around. i had two sharp "muscle spams" then nothing for a few hours, then another 3 in a row ... I thought gas at first, but not convinced.. but I'll still wait. Won't get my hopes up .. this is my first pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I will get in for an ultrasound soon but I'm starting to wonder if it's just that my placenta is in a different spot which is making it more difficult to feel movement. Thank you for all the input, you guys are awesome!!!! Don't know what I would do without this website lol
  • Options
    I'm almost 18 weeks and have only just started feeling this baby kick. About 4 weeks earlier then my first.
  • Options
    They say the average woman doesn't start feeling anything till 18-22 weeks. I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and don't think I've felt anything?
  • Options
    I have a coworker who NEVER felt either of her girls move.  Ever.  I cannot imagine.  She still maintains how gross and weird that would be...oddball.  If the doc says not to worry, I wouldn't.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    I'm too gassy to be able to determine if it's gas or baby at this point. Hopefully I'll get a kick that can help me feel the difference soon.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Well I had my ultrasound and everything is fine. Apparently the placenta is in an unusual place which makes it more difficult for me to feel movement. So that was definitely a relief and I am also starting to feel movement now which is very exciting :D I also found out that I'm having a boy so I am absolutely thrilled, that is what we were hoping for!!

• Options
    I started feeling baby move at week 19/20 and this is baby #2 for me. Hang in there!

• Options
    My first pregnancy my daughter wasn't really a kicker, more of a stretcher...at 8-9 months I would literally feel and see an arm or leg sliding in the belly...but I didn't really feel her much before that.

THIS ONE...he is a bruiser.  I have an anterior placenta and I am only 18 weeks...but I can feel him on the lower end of my left side for the last few weeks...tap, tap, tap....the U/S tech couldn't believe how he was contorting himself when we saw him this week...I can only imagine what will happen when he gets bigger/stronger.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"