2nd Trimester

Pediatrician or Nurse Practitioner?

Hi everyone.  I am 26 weeks and beginning to call pediatricians to meet.  One practice's two doctors are not accepting new patients but their two pediatric NPs are.  I understand they do just about the same thing as the doctors but cannot prescribe certain heavy medications.  My husband and I haven't met with anyone (MD or NP) yet but are hoping that besides the questions we ask, we will get a good feel for whoever we end up choosing. 

Has anyone had experience with pediatric NPs? 

Re: Pediatrician or Nurse Practitioner?

• Our pediatrician office has 5 or 6 doctors and 1 NP who is also a lactation consultant. I prefer to meet with her and do whenever I'm given the option. I don't see any downside in your situation either. I'm sure the NPs can switch you over to one of the doctors if something comes up that they are not able to handle.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just lurking over here.  The practice we go to has both and we have seen both.  I honestly like the style of the NP better than the doctors we see.  They seem to have more time and the truth of the matter is, they probably do.  I never feel rushed when I see them and they are exceptional with my kids.  Here's what I figure, if we were talking about something serious or highly unusual I would probably want to see the doctor.  But the vast majority of the things parents bring their kids in for are pretty mundane, cough, ear ache, etc.  Something a NP is more than qualified to handle.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I prefer to see a pedi whenever possible. Our office has three NPs, and sometimes we have to see one of them if we go in for a sick visit on a Saturday, which is fine. I just prefer the pediatricians. I never feel rushed with ours.
  • Thank you ladies for your honesty.  Your comments have put my mind at ease!  I'm looking forward to meeting the NP and other pediatricians we're scheduled to see.
  • My pedi's office is just the pedi and then three NPs. Most often I see one of the NPs. I personally like NPs almost better than actual doctors. In my experience, they spend more time with you and are more thorough. For general care, I think seeing a NP is the same as seeing the doctor.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• I've been seeing the NP at my doctor's office exclusively for the last 6 years (for me, not LO). The entire time I've been at that practice, I have only met my doctor once. I like the NP much more than my actual doctor so I'm glad she's the one seeing me. As long as your LO is healthy with no chronic diseases there is really no need to see an MD. The NP can handle well visits and the occasional sick visit just as well. As long as you have the option to see the doctor if something comes up that your NP can't handle, I wouldn't think twice about the NP being the primary care giver.
  • I may be a bit biased, but my mom is a NP in a Family Practice department. She sees all ages including OBs and she runs her own practice. She can prescribe all of the medications an MD can, however, she does not have admitting privileges but not all of the MDs do either. She works as a team with two other MDs and if one of her kiddos (or adult) patients need admitting, they will do it for her. I find that she has quite a bit of knowledge and experience and would be totally comfortable taking my baby to an NP. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misconceptions about NPs and it's unfortunate. They did a lot of schooling, only two years short of MDs, and they spend a lot of their time defending their role and their competency.
    Good luck! It's not easy finding good, real providers these days who don't make you feel rushed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've had both and I like the NP a lot better. The pedi was always really busy and overworked with special cases. I felt very rushed and brushed off. The NP however seemed a lot more personal if that makes sense. Have you thought about a family practice doctor?
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • I saw our prsctice's NP twice - one to check his belly button and once after a particularly troubling projectile vomiting episode. She was very kind, understanding, informative, and knowledgeable. She obviously knew what she was talking about and had a lot of experience. I would see her again for sure.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I interned in an office with 3 NPs and 1 pediatrician.  Certain cases were referred to the pedi but most patients saw the NPs.  The NPs all did a great job.  That said, I chose a pedi for my son…but I would have been okay with a NP too.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• bingbongsmamabingbongsmama member
    edited December 2013
    We've only gone in for routine visits for shots and check ups. Nothing an NP can't do. For me, I don't see the need for a pediatrician. I can see if a child has health issues that a pedi is more specialized in? But I'd even like to just switch my 3yo over to our family practice
  • I absolutely adored the NP at our pediatrician's office. She was every bit as good as the doctors there. She moved to a different location and I'm pretty bummed about it.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"