Parenting

How much do you pay a sitter?

I am hiring a sitter from my sons DC to watch him Monday and Tuesday of next week since they will be out of "school." She said to pay her whatever but I don't know what amount to begin to offer... How much would you pay a sitter? It will be from 8-4:30.

Re: How much do you pay a sitter?

• I have no idea what the "sitter" rate is, maybe someone with more info will chime in.  I pay our day care $25 a day though (7-45-3:45).  I'm not sure if you are to pay a sitter more or less than normal day care??
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• I thought it was more too.  Isn't it kind of weird that you pay a sitter, who may not be near as experienced, more than a daycare that is licensed?  Our daycare is an in-home setting too, not a center.  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Loading the player...
  • We pay approximately $30 a day for daycare. 
  • $10-$15/hour... How old is DS?

• Almost 2. Maybe it should be noted that this sitter in particular has also played co-ed softball with me for 3 years and I work with her dad. I know her pretty well i just don't want to ask her to think I ant her to do it for free.
  • Our daycare is $37/day per kid.

I would pay a private sitter more. Probably $50 for the day ($100 total) and I think that's really lowballing it. She may expect an hourly wage, I usually pay sitters $8/hr which would put you in the $140 range.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• $10 an hour (tax free) is the going rate around here.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Our sitter is $10 an hour. So yeah, that comes out to more than what I pay daycare for a day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I just paid our DC teacher $10 an hour to watch DS and then I gave her an extra $20 because she drove him home from DC.
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• melody921 said:
    Our sitter is $10 an hour. So yeah, that comes out to more than what I pay daycare for a day.
    Yeah, full day daycare is always cheaper than a sitter. They have more kids per adult and you book and pay in advance, rather than hiring a sitter a la carte. Our daycare is relatively expensive and I think it's about $8.50/hour, give or take.
  • LauraT25 said:
    Minimum wage here is higher so that may play into it, but I would pay $10/hr minimum. And damn I need to get my kid in daycare. Fucking wait lists.
    Wait lists stink. We had to sign our kid up about six months before he started I think.
  • We were on the wait list for 13 months before getting him in.
  • We pay between $8 and $10 an hour, depending on a few factors like how much experience they have, and if we have used them before and like them. I normally also provide food, so if they are there all day, I make sure to stock up on things like frozen breakfast burritos and a pizza. And also fun snacks. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• I pay daycare $35/day. 

I pay my almost 12 y.o. babysitter $5/hr, that's what she asks for. I think the going rate is actually more like $10/hr. (I say her age because I think her rate is reasonable based on her age/inexperience). 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• We usually pay our babysitter $10/hour, which I consider a discount rate. She's my cousin, but she's also a professional nanny, so she usually charges $12-$15/hour for one kid. My kid is a terror, so I try to pay her more but she won't accept it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our daycare is $42 a day. We seriously were considering having a nanny when I went back to work, but I would have felt wrong paying anyone less than $12-$15 an hour, and that adds up quick! Daycare it is.
    image image
  • Ardmhs83 said:

I thought it was more too.  Isn't it kind of weird that you pay a sitter, who may not be near as experienced, more than a daycare that is licensed?  Our daycare is an in-home setting too, not a center.  

No.

Daycares do multiple kids so aren't making three bucks an hour. More individual care costs more.

image image
  • We pay one of our sitters (30 yo former nanny to twins with 17 years of experience) $15/hour. Our other sitter (19 yo college student with about 4-5 years experience) $10/ hour.
  • $10 an hour, provide meals, and gas $
  • For my in-home daycare person (who watches DS along with her two children), we pay $40 per day for about 8:30-5:30.  For other babysitting, we pay about $12 per hour.  I would probably pay somewhere between for your situation.
  • $10-$15/hour... How old is DS?

Holy Crap!  I my my sitter, which is a friend that lives a couple a blocks away, $3/hour. I'm in a small town in Ohio, are you in a big city?!!!
  •  

$10-$15/hour... How old is DS?

Holy Crap!  I my my sitter, which is a friend that lives a couple a blocks away, $3/hour. I'm in a small town in Ohio, are you in a big city?!!!
    * I pay my sitter
  •  

$10-$15/hour... How old is DS?

* I pay my sitter

You only pay three bucks an hour? I made more than that babysitting in middle school.

image image
  • That's the number she gave me when I asked how much....in my area thats pretty standard.
  • I just popped into this thread because we have been thinking about getting a sitter for NYE, but I can't help but comment on the per diem day care rates you guys have.  I am jealous. 

I know it's COL related, but holy hell.  We pay 65.00 per day.  I need to move.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"