Food Allergy

Need to vent!

Sorry ladies, but I need to rant to someone who understands. DD is 13 months and we are struggling with feedings. She has a dairy allergy and I am finding it frustrating to find things she can eat herself. DD also has DS and is struggling with the strength of her jaws. I can give her things like shreds of chicken or bread but she chews the rest of the night on that little shred until it eventually works its way out of her mouth but she's not swallowing much. Little items like Cheerios or star puffs don't make it to her mouth and the longer puffs don't stay in because she doesn't let go of what's in her palm. She also refuses to touch anything that will get her hands dirty like bananas or melons. Aaaaarrrggggg!!!, Girl! You have got to eat! Momma wants to lose this pump!

Re: Need to vent!

• Would she do scrambled eggs? What about little pieces of pancakes? Some of the bisquick mixes are dairy free and you can just use whatever milk sub you choose. Can she drink from a sippy cup or straw cup? If so, could you make her a smoothie? The combos are endless! GL!
    imageimage
  • I am a lurker but we also had to avoid dairy until DD turned 18 months. She ate sweet potato, avocado, rice cooked a little longer so it stuck together, homemade muffins, kashi cereal bars, beans, pasta, broccoli, and pretty much whatever we were eating that was dairy free. I know it is different with your LO having DS. Can you get a feeding evaluation to see if therapy would help?
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • PipSqueak0313PipSqueak0313 member
    edited December 2013
    Sorry ladies, but I need to rant to someone who understands. DD is 13 months and we are struggling with feedings. She has a dairy allergy and I am finding it frustrating to find things she can eat herself. DD also has DS and is struggling with the strength of her jaws. I can give her things like shreds of chicken or bread but she chews the rest of the night on that little shred until it eventually works its way out of her mouth but she's not swallowing much. Little items like Cheerios or star puffs don't make it to her mouth and the longer puffs don't stay in because she doesn't let go of what's in her palm. She also refuses to touch anything that will get her hands dirty like bananas or melons. Aaaaarrrggggg!!!, Girl! You have got to eat! Momma wants to lose this pump!
    My 9mo ds also has ds and we have the opposite problem when I use hand over hand to get him to bring a cracker to his mouth.  He gets it in his mouth and lets go.  ETA: He doesn't have the idea of biting off pieces so he looks cute with the cracker held between his lips until he opens his mouth and it falls.

I have hope that he'll eventually get the hang of picking up pieces and putting them in his mouth since he actually managed to pick up an oyster cracker off of his tray for a couple seconds yesterday.

I've been feeding ds purees and lately I have tried adding mashed bits of real food into the purees. i.e. I've added smashed cooked carrots to the carrot puree.  It was the only thing I could think of to expose ds to texture and teach him to chew.

Ds has reacted to milk, soy, apples and pears so I'm not far behind you in terms of trying to find finger foods for ds. 

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • How about pieces of over cooked pasta?
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"