Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Baby Food Brands

Which brands do you recommend? Why? What kinds of foods can they eat at 6months old besides puréed? Thanks for the help!
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Baby Food Brands

• I'm not overly picky with brands.  We do Gerber for the early stages but Plum and Ella's Kitchen have some fun, interesting pouch varieties.  At 6 months they can start to eat soft finger foods like banana, sweet potato, etc.  It depends on your comfort level.  Just know that they don't need teeth to do it and they won't likely get very much in their mouths :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I make my own- you can literally make a month's worth of food in an hour and it's WAY cheaper!  Its really very very easy. And nutrutionally better. I'll only buy organic pouches for on the go. 

• Loading the player...
  • steelerbaby29steelerbaby29 member
    edited December 2013
    Check out www.wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com for great info about what foods to feed at what age and what foods you should buy organic. We just started solids so I have bought some jarred food to find out what my son likes then I plan on making my own. There is the "dirty dozen" foods and those foods you are supposed to try and buy organic if you can due to the pesticides. I know apples, green beans, spinach and carrots are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Those foods I buy organic baby food or when I make it I will buy organic produce. My pedi says no cherrios or fingers foods until my son can do the "pincher" with his fingers.
  • We use Earth's Best and LO seems to like it.  We tried making our own food for about a week but that was it.  Not sure why, LO didn't really like the flavor for some reason.
  • I make my own - healthier

You can make and purée anything you want
  • I make my own - healthier You can make and purée anything you want
    Meh, not necessarily.  The ingredients are straight forward in baby food and if you want organic, get an organic one.  For me, if Plum offers quinoa with leeks, chicken and tarragon, that's not a recipe I'm going to be whipping up for him so I'm totally fine with him having those :)

• I try to find something of my dinner that LO could eat each night. Had Panera for dinner tonight and pulled some chicken out if my sandwich and ripped it into little pieces, which she loved. Black beans are her favorite. If we have broccolli or squash or sweet potatoes or something like that, I mush some up for her with a fork. Not every meal works out great that way, so we have some pouches and jars on hand. I always mix with oatmeal to thicken them up though because they are too thin on their own. I agree with PP that the pouches make it easier to expose her to more variety that I'm willing to make myself. :)
  • I do both. I buy the Gerber, Ella's kitchen or Happy Baby to see what LO likes then I make it myself. There are a ton of baby foods that are make with the food/water, such as, apples and water, pears and water, etc. I buy frozen fruits and veggies then puree them myself. We are still keeping it simple over here but I am sure when LO starts eating more and more food we won't make so much of our own. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • elmoali said:
    I make my own - healthier You can make and purée anything you want
    Meh, not necessarily.  The ingredients are straight forward in baby food and if you want organic, get an organic one.  For me, if Plum offers quinoa with leeks, chicken and tarragon, that's not a recipe I'm going to be whipping up for him so I'm totally fine with him having those :)
    This, the jar food is just as health/nutrious as home made.  My husband and I both work full time and have a 10 yr that is in all sorts of activites so I have no time to make my own. I feel confident that she is getting quality nutition.  I buy both Beechnut and Gerber
  • I try to make my own but pureeing meat is gross to me so I buy Gerber brand.  DD loves the turkey and sweet potato and chicken and veggie.  I also always have some fruit/veggie ones that DD likes in the cabinet in case I don't have time to make my own.  We're also starting to give her small pieces of things but she usually just plays with them and doesn't put them in her mouth - which is weird since she puts all her toys her in mouth!

• I've given my 6 month old a small piece bread to gum on and she loved it. Our pedi said I can start giving her bread with spreads (cream cheese, peanut butter - although you probably don't want to try that one out for the first time while on your trip) to self feed. You can do yogurt also, or fruit in one of those mesh feeders.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Laurendag said:
    araziza said:
    I've given my 6 month old a small piece bread to gum on and she loved it. Our pedi said I can start giving her bread with spreads (cream cheese, peanut butter - although you probably don't want to try that one out for the first time while on your trip) to self feed. You can do yogurt also, or fruit in one of those mesh feeders.

Infant yogurt. NOT regular grocery isle yogurt. The amount of dairy in plain yogurt can make them sick. 

elmoali said:
    I make my own - healthier You can make and purée anything you want

Not true. You would be surprised at how many baby foods have ingredients in them that are not on the label. For instance, DS loves Earth's Best Sweet Potato & Chicken Dinner. It wasn't until last week that DH noticed that it had apricots and whole grain rice in it as well. And the Creamy Chicken Apple has carrots and garbanzo beans in it. So read the ingredients if your LO has an allergy. 

But OP we use Earth's Best, Plum (sometimes), and Happy Baby. Mostly Earth's Best though. For some reason anything Gerber as far as purees gives our DS pretty bad gas. I guess it must be the way they make and process their food?

You are wrong about the yogurt. What you said doesn't even make sense. Too much dairy? If you should be concerned about anything, it's that some flavored yogurt has too much sugar. DS has never had "infant" yogurt. We get plain or vanilla whole milk yogurt (usually Greek yogurt but sometimes regular) and mix in real fruit. And how did your H discover the "extra" ingredients in the jarred food if they weren't on the label? Especially since the FDA requires that all ingredients in the food be listed? Or was it that you didn't bother to read the ingredient list?

Yes, real yogurt has more dairy in it than infant yogurt. Not sure how that doesn't make sense.

And as for the ingredients I assumed when the person said they were strait forward she meant on the front. Which these ingredients weren't.

But way to be a snarky bitch and try to start a fight. Really, I appreciated the effort.

I meant that you can recognize everything on the ingredient list.  If I make apples and carrots at home and I buy a thing that says "Ingredients: apples, carrots" they're the same thing.  And no, regular yogurt doesn't have more "dairy."  Yogurt is 100% milk and then flavored with things.  Baby yogurt is actually WORSE for them in many cases because it's flavored with sugar (or a variation of sugar).  Regular whole milk, or greek whole milk yogurt has only the natural sugars found in milk and then you're free to serve it plain or with fruit which, yes, has sugar but the natural kind and also the benefits of fiber.

• This is YoBaby's ingredient list:

Our Family Recipe

CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC WHOLE MILK, ORGANIC SUGAR, ORGANIC BANANA PUREE, NATURAL FLAVOR, PECTIN, ORGANIC ANNATTO EXTRACT (FOR COLOR), VITAMIN D3.

This is the Stonyfield regular yogurt:

CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC WHOLE MILK, PECTIN, VITAMIN D3.

• Laurendag said:

Seriously @Redheadbaker? I was at work. Sorry I don't have all the time in the world to bump and worry about satisfying your need to be a twat. And yeah you're being a twat.

And @elmoali I do apologize that is not what I thought you meant. As I said I thought you meant it was on the front of the packaging like in the name. And as for the yogurt I now see that even infant yogurts have milk in them. The one we had several years ago had a soy base and was dairy free but I can't remember what it was called. I was under the assumption that LO's were not to have any dairy until after a year but I will have to talk to our pedi about that now.

Ah ok you're thinking about the "no milk until 1" thing.  That's often misunderstood.  The intent is to ensure parents aren't replacing BM or formula with cups of milk as a means of nutrition because they aren't nutritionally the same.  They can have dairy products - cheese, yogurt, etc. as part of their solids diet.  They can also try milk closer to one but straight milk can be a little hard for babies to digest and again, any milk you do give shouldn't be replacing the BM or formula.

• We use Earth's best. I will also use our own mashed potatoes and squashed bananas.

PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"