3rd Trimester

General Rule of Thumb

swspearswspear member
edited December 2013 in 3rd Trimester
(I keep meaning to post this but have repeatedly forgotten until now!)  During my pregnancy, my doctor said that a general rule of thumb in the medical world is that the weight of a woman's baby at delivery is about her shoe size.  So with that in mind, most women are size 7 and 8 shoes and that's why most babies are 7 or 8 pounds.  

Obviously it won't be true for everyone but it's definitely an interesting estimation.  You can imagine my horror when I heard this and thought of my size 10 feet.  And what's worse is that during pregnancy, my feet grew to where I had to buy size 11 shoes (though I'm back in my regular 10s now).  Well, guess how big our baby boy was?  10 pounds 15 ounces!  

Just thought I'd pass this along and see whether its been true for others as well.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: General Rule of Thumb

• Glad that's not true!!!  I wear a size 5 1/2 and I'd hate for my baby boy to be that tiny!
  • Loading the player...
  • swspearswspear member
    edited December 2013
    Well, good to know!  Clearly I didn't think it was a scientific fact.  I mean do men's shoe size really correspond to their penis size?  No!  I file it more under "old wives tales."  It just happens that for my friends, this rule of thumb was spot on for all of us so I wasn't sure if it had any merit for other women as well.  

• mcgeevamcgeeva member
    edited December 2013
    yeah not true. I wear a 8.5-9 and my son was born at 6pds 9oz

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• swspear said:
    Well, good to know!  Clearly I didn't think it was a scientific fact.  I mean do men's shoe size really correspond to their penis size?  No!  I file it more under "old wives tales."  It just happens that for my friends, this rule of thumb was spot on for all of us so I wasn't sure if it had any merit for other women as well.  

Actually, this one is more like, "Possibly..."

• I had two 5 pounders with a size 8.5 shoe ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a FTM... But I hope not! I have very large feet for a woman-12w... So if that means 12 lb baby... Yikes!

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"