Babies: 9 - 12 Months

working moms - need advice!

Ok ladies so its been great being a SAHM for the past 9 months but I have accepted a full time job and DD will be going to daycare starting in 2014.

Any tips or tricks for staying on top of everything while working full time? Is it bad that I feel guilty for being excited to start my new career?

Re: working moms - need advice!

• lars1226lars1226 member
    edited December 2013

I try to get as much ready as I can the night before. I pick out my clothes for the next day, make my lunch/snacks, get bottles ready after LO goes to bed. I have had to lower my cleaning standards and just accept that not everything gets done when I want it to. I have also found it really helpful to plan dinners for the week and make sure we have all the ingredients on hand. We still do a lot of frozen meals like we prepared before LO was born.

And don't feel guilty! Focus on the positives, one of my favorite things about going back to work is eating lunch alone. While it's still hot and without anyone crying, ok maybe I cried a little the first few weeks back but it got better :) Good luck with your new job!

• Congrats on your new job!

Sadly, DD has been in day care since she was 10 weeks old. It sucks being away from her and that she is exposed to all those germs but I do like that she is learning and being social with other kids her age and that she is exposed to all those germs!  I think it helps develop her immune system.  

A few tips:

Her daycare is 5 minutes from home/work so I can go hang out with her at lunch whenever I want.  Big bonus (especially in the beginning)!  I can also run anything to her that she might need during the day that I forgot to pack for her.  

When we get home I immediately wash bottles and start packing stuff up for the next day while she chases the cat around the house (it's a love/hate thing for the cat).  I also pick out her clothes for the next day and do whatever I can to get myself ready for the next day.  I have never been a morning person so this really really helps.  This doesn't take very long and is followed by dinner together and more play time together until she's ready for her late afternoon nap. 

Speaking of dinner, look into fast easy meals that you can eat over a couple days.  Crock pot dinners, casseroles, etc.  Depending on how old and what stage your DD is at, make sure to think about including something she can eat, too.

Don't worry about laundry or the deep cleaning tasks until the weekend unless you absolutely have to.  The only time I do laundry during the week is if DD has a blow out at day care.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I will echo what everyone else is saying- to prep as much as you can the night before.  I pick out her outfit for that day (and backup outfit), and label her bottles, sippy cup, and snacks. You have to individually label everything, we use a roll of masking tape and a sharpie marker.

When we get home, I stick the dirty bottles in the sink to wash after she goes to sleep.  We spend about 2-3 hours together before her bedtime, and it's a combo of playing and prepping for the next day.  It's exhausting, but nice to have some time together.  

Congrats on the new job and don't feel bad. We all have Working Mom Guilt sometime, but we're doing the best that we can.  My 10 month old just started daycare about a month ago, and she is really thriving.  The first week is hard, they cry when you leave them, but now she absolutely loves it.  She's also making a lot of advances developmentally and socially from being around other kids.  It's amazing to watch.  Cheers!
  • Same advice, prep the night before and find a system that works for your family. You dh will need to take a few extra jobs as well.

Dh pick dd up from grandmas, I get home and use that extra 10-15 to pack away my pump milk and prep the sink for my pump dishes and bottles. When dh get home I take dd and he unloads the diaper bag of anything that needs to be washed and replaces it with anything needed. I nurse her and play with her while dh goes to te gym. She spends a little bit if time in her playroom with dh while I cook dinner. Then we have dinner together, he cleans up dinner while I bathe dd when she gets out dh puts her pjs on while I get her outfits ready for te next day. We usually play for an hour or so before her bed time. Then we read together and rock her until she goes to sleep.

• b0710 said:
    lars1226 said:

I try to get as much ready as I can the night before. I pick out my clothes for the next day, make my lunch/snacks, get bottles ready after LO goes to bed. I have had to lower my cleaning standards and just accept that not everything gets done when I want it to. I have also found it really helpful to plan dinners for the week and make sure we have all the ingredients on hand. We still do a lot of frozen meals like we prepared before LO was born.

And don't feel guilty! Focus on the positives, one of my favorite things about going back to work is eating lunch alone. While it's still hot and without anyone crying, ok maybe I cried a little the first few weeks back but it got better :) Good luck with your new job!

I feel like I could have written this post.  I am not as good as @lars1226 is with the meals, but otherwise, I agree completely.  For me, the biggest thing has been letting go of the cleaning.  I surface clean a lot, but deep clean much less frequently.  I would rather spend time with my kids when we are all home than scrub a toilet (who likes that anyways?). :)  I think being excited about your job is a good thing...focus on the positives.  Sometimes I feel bad that I'm not at home with my kids, but I love my job!  I also feel sometimes like it makes me more appreciative of the time that I have with them, and possibly more patient that I might be if we spent 24-7 together.  I am lucky as teacher because of weekends, holidays, and summers, so I feel like I get to experience a little of both worlds.  Congrats on the new job...just try not to place too many expectations on yourself until you get into a new groove!
    Same here!  Getting stuff ready in advance is huge!  Take things slow at first, and keep in mind lots of emotions will be involved.  Taking care of yourself will help you to be a better mom!  Congrats, and good luck!
  • Thanks everyone!! Merry Christmas!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"