Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Turning the Car Seat Around

When are you suppose to turn the car seat front facing, my son is 9 months and is 23 pounds and sits up

great and crawls and pulls up all on his own, he is not walking. Everything we go to the Doctor that's the one question that slips my mind.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Turning the Car Seat Around

• Options
    The new recommendations are for at least 2 years. Extended rear facing I believe is as long as possible (when LO outgrows the RF limits). The reasoning being is that their bones need more time to ossify, and otherwise risk internal decapitation by FF too soon.
  • Options
    NVandGZ said:
    The new recommendations are for at least 2 years. Extended rear facing I believe is as long as possible (when LO outgrows the RF limits). The reasoning being is that their bones need more time to ossify, and otherwise risk internal decapitation by FF too soon.
    Yep this.  You should keep them rear facing until at least 2 and then, until as long as you can before they outgrow their seat rear facing.  My kids will be rearfacing until a minimum of 3 but I am shooting for 4.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    are they not to big to be 2 and still facing the rear?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kmc84kmc84 member
    edited December 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA

This is why you keep your child RF. This is a regular toddler sized crash test dummy. This is a 20MPH front end collision. Look at the difference. Internal decapitation isn't something unheard of. It's something that kills. Please keep your child RFing as long as possible. Little broken legs are much better than a dead child.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This is what can happen if you FF too early. This moms story is very sad, but she's now a huge advocate for RFing properly and has made this video just for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuLq_Jr69ak&feature=share
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We got the Diono Radian RXT seat so we could rear face long past 2yrs (45lbs). 

The whole, turn at 1yr, 22lbs and when they are walking is a time of the past.  Research clearly states that children are by far safer rear facing. 

You'll notice the vast majority of car seats now have rear facing limits of 35-50lbs.  Aside from the infant bucket seats (meant for first few months of lugging sleeping infants in and out of car) very few convertible seats only go up to 22lbs now.  This is due to the research and realization that children should remain rear facing.  Sweden and other European countries have long had their children rear face until age 4-5yrs then turned them at booster age. 

Not all parents are aware of the risks of forward facing too soon and the benefits of rear facing, spread the word. 

• Options
    My six year old is rear facing upon her request.  She is pretty small though.
    She stands 42 inches tall and is 40 pounds.  She has a short torso.  I rear face until four usually, but will be turning my 33 month old at 3 as I am done fighting with him in the car.  DD3 and 4 will rear face until four and then as I always do give them the option of forward facing.
  • Options
    We are keeping our son RF until at until he is at least 2 years old.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    jobiannjobiann member
    edited December 2013

This is why you keep your child RF. This is a regular toddler sized crash test dummy. This is a 20MPH front end collision. Look at the difference. Internal decapitation isn't something unheard of. It's something that kills. Please keep your child RFing as long as possible. Little broken legs are much better than a dead child.
    I'm so glad you posted these videos. The one makes me cry every time I see it. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    We have a chicco nextfit that will allow DS to rear face to almost 4 years old.  He would RF til 10 years old if it was possible and I had my way lol.  
  • Options
    Another advocate for extended rfing here. My 3.5 yo is 41" and 37.5 lbs and rear facing in a Graco MySize. DD1 rear faced to 2.5 years, which is when she outgrew the limits of the seat we had then (back in 2008). She was 40" and 32 lbs.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

Broken legs are more likely to happen front facing than rear facing.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"