Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

NBR- Anxiety?

I know that as moms we all experience anxiety about our kids, family and life in general- but I'm curious to see what amount is considered 'normal anxiety'. 
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: NBR- Anxiety?

• Options
    honeydew01honeydew01 member
    edited December 2013
    I don't know what's "normal" but I do have a lot of anxiety. I was an anxious person to begin with but with DD it's gotten worse. 

My DD goes on eating strikes often as in she refuses to nurse well and doesn't eat solids well either so I am constantly worried about her getting dehydrated or not getting enough nutrients that I think she needs to grow up. She refuses to take bottles (we've tried it all) or drink milk in straw cups so this has made my life so much more difficult. I feel like I am chained to her and can't ever get a break. She doesn't nurse well either so that puts my already low supply in jeopardy every time she decides she is not going to nurse. I have to constantly worry, pump, take shit loads of stuff to keep my already low supply from drying..and hope that tomorrow she'll nurse better and have better wet diapers. I've dealt with so many nursing issues that I resent it so much but I feel like I have no choice but to continue until she weans. Well 2 peds and a LC nurse suggested to quit cold turkey and basically let DD go hungry until she gives in and takes it but I can't bring myself to do this to her. Anyway I think most of my anxiety is around her eating/drinking and my fear that she'll not grow up as she should...

She is also a very shy and slow to warm up baby and I have some worries in that front as well..

I agree with Nicb13, if it's affecting your ability to function and go about your daily routines then I'd see a doctor. 

I saw a doctor myself just a couple of months ago (DD is 9.5 months) and tried an antidepressant but it didn't work out. I'm super sensitive to drugs so even on the lowest dose I had pretty bad reactions so I was told to stop. I'm now just waiting for DD to turn 1 and hopefully get her to drink regular milk from a straw cup (we're working on it daily) so we could wean her and then try another medicine. 

• Options
    honeydew01honeydew01 member
    edited December 2013
    Nicb13 said:
    I don't know what's "normal" but I do have a lot of anxiety. I was an anxious person to begin with but with DD it's gotten worse. 

My DD goes on eating strikes often as in she refuses to nurse well and doesn't eat solids well either so I am constantly worried about her getting dehydrated or not getting enough nutrients that I think she needs to grow up. She refuses to take bottles (we've tried it all) or drink milk in straw cups so this has made my life so much more difficult. I feel like I am chained to her and can't ever get a break. She doesn't nurse well either so that puts my already low supply in jeopardy every time she decides she is not going to nurse. I have to constantly worry, pump, take shit loads of stuff to keep my already low supply from drying..and hope that tomorrow she'll nurse better and have better wet diapers. I've dealt with so many nursing issues that I resent it so much but I feel like I have no choice but to continue until she weans. Well 2 peds and a LC nurse suggested to quit cold turkey and basically let DD go hungry until she gives in and takes it but I can't bring myself to do this to her. Anyway I think most of my anxiety is around her eating/drinking and my fear that she'll not grow up as she should...

She is also a very shy and slow to warm up baby and I have some worries in that front as well..

I agree with Nicb13, if it's affecting your ability to function and go about your daily routines then I'd see a doctor. 

I saw a doctor myself just a couple of months ago (DD is 9.5 months) and tried an antidepressant but it didn't work out. I'm super sensitive to drugs so even on the lowest dose I had pretty bad reactions so I was told to stop. I'm now just waiting for DD to turn 1 and hopefully get her to drink regular milk from a straw cup (we're working on it daily) so we could wean her and then try another medicine. 

I gave myself so much anxiety over breastfeeding problems that I went to see a therapist! Looking back now, and for the next child, I am totally doing things differently. It wasn't working for me and despite all my efforts, I felt that my sanity and DS getting the nutrition he needed was more important than struggling to BF.
    I could write a pretty lengthy book about our breastfeeding ups and downs, literally. In hind side, I wish that when we first noticed her refusing a bottle (she was 8 weeks old), that we had quit then and gotten her on formula. I had no idea that I'll be having 500 different breastfeeding issues for months to come. To us, benefits of breastfeeding does not outweigh all the issues we've faced (are facing) and my sanity and if we have another child, we will be doing things very differently. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A little bit if anxiety is healthy because it helps propel you towards positive change... A lot of anxiety is unhealthy because it holds you back... Eh? I actually learned that from my counselor! Assuming you have insurance, I'd definitely try going to see a counselor before talking to your medical doctor about this. There's really a lot you can do with cognitive/behavioral training without having to take drugs.
  • Options
    I have asked myself this as well. My DD was physically unable to take a bottle for five months and required suck therapy to be able to do so! So I understand the terror of worrying about every ounce and supply. I also wonder how much anxiety is normal. I'm terrified of many things with my DD and get fixated on things like her sleep and although it has gotten much better as she has gotten older it still is a struggle. Just know that you are not alone. I think a lot of it is hormonal so I'm trying to wait until I wean to see if it goes away.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your honesty- I have someone I've talked to in the past about other issues so I may call her up. I have a regular exam with my MD Friday and I may ask her what's normal and what might be excessive and see her thoughts. I've met my deductible for 2013 so chances are it would be next year before I could see my CSW and then out of pocket.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    If your anxiety affects your daily living and quality of life, you need to seek assistance. Being a new mom is very anxiety-producing, but if you're feeling "out of control" or like you avoid things because of your anxiety, or you're having true fear about things, that's something to treat. 
    Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...