Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

New room when moving to a toddler bed or same room?

My son is almost 2.5 and we are expecting his sister April 1st. The guest room is slightly larger than his current room. Do we give him the bigger room with his new car bed and paint ect or just redecorate his current room? She has her own crib ect we bought so its not an issue. More just size of space and ease of renovating when he's not in the room ect. On the flip side I'm scared to ruin his routine knowing his room ect if we move him to the bigger one. It's not really a big diff either.

What would you do? Is consistancy most important? I don't want him to feel baby kicked him out if his room.

Re: New room when moving to a toddler bed or same room?

• Options
    Every kid is different. Our DS was really excited when we let him come and pick out his 'big boy bed' at Ikea. We then told him that this bed would be going into the other bedroom, and he got to "help" Dad build it.  When we had it all made with bedding, he ran into that room and proclaimed "this is my bed!"  For roughly two weeks after, we would make sure to call the nursery the baby's room, and DS's room as his.  A few times he would refer to the nursery as his room, but at about two weeks into the switch he started referring to them as the proper rooms.  
    We made sure to convert the crib back from a toddler bed to the newborn crib the same day we had his new bed ready so he would realize that the crib bed was no longer an option.  He didn't have any problem with it. 
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS got a new room when he switched to his toddler bed. He loved it. We kept the nursery the same.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We moved DS into the "guest room" when he was 2.5. It worked out GREAT!! Absolutely no problems. We painted it and made it into his "big boy room". He was very excited during the process. When it was finally done he gladly moved in. 
  • Options
    We just moved dd last weekend into a new room with a big girl bed. I was so nervous and really thought it wasn't going to go well. I was wrong. We spent weeks painting & picking out bedding and just getting her used to the room, which I think was the key.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    We moved DD1 to her new room with a twin bed and new furniture when she was 2 yrs and a few months (it was a couple of months before DD2 was due). She was involved in picking some things out and helped me put her bed together, stuff like that. I really liked being able to take my time on her new room while she continued to sleep in the nursery. When it was all ready for her, we gave her the choice of where to sleep for a few weeks (she picked her new room all but once I think).

She was happy and comfortable with her new room well before the baby came so I don't think she felt pushed out. I also thought it was good having her "old room" still in tact so if she was feeling uncomfortable with the new room she could always choose to go back, at least temporarily ;) I didn't want to force her, but once she was in the new room for a few weeks we made it a permanent decision and I started updating the nursery for her sister.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"