2nd Trimester

Book recommendations?

I have decided that since I'm a ftm I should probably read up on this pregnancy/parenting stuff. I've read a few times a lot of you girls are not fans of what to expect when you're expecting and the only pregnancy book I'm familiar with. Now that I just finished reading bossypants and my Kindle is getting kinda light,
Any recommendations?
Supermom to my beautiful boys Troy Marshall and Griffin Xander 

Living the dream with my wonderful man :)

Re: Book recommendations?

• I'm reading Bringing Up Bebe - it's the only parenting book I can tolerate because it's something different (and having worked with children for the last 10 years, we definitely aren't doing it right over here).  

IMO, most pregnancy books do nothing but tell you everything that can go wrong, and I just find most parenting books to be annoying.  
  • My favorite pregnancy book is the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy and the Mommy MD Guide to Pregnancy. What to expect is terrible. I haven't read any parenting books.
  • Loading the player...
  • Bringing up Bebe...that was my favorite as well. Things such as eating and sleeping well are on the top of my worry list and I'm searching for the best methods to get there knowing that what I see around me (friends w kids) is not working.
  • I love what to expect when you're expecting! More so than any other books I've read... you can always go to a book store and look through a couple and see which appeals to you most...
  • spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited December 2013
    The Mayo Clinic one is really good. I also enjoyed You Having a Baby, by Dr. Oz. That one doesn't follow the traditional week-by-week format but it has some really neat info about baby's development and what's going on in your own body.

ETA: I personally don't mind What to Expect from an informational standpoint but the writing style is very irritating.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also have been extremely happy with the Mayo Clinic pregnancy book. I feel the information is all presented in a non-influencing style so you just get the information and the choice is left up to you. 
  • I highly recommend The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy or everything else your doctor won't tell you  https://www.amazon.com/The-Girlfriends-Guide-Pregnancy-everything/dp/0671524313  A friend of mine sent this to me and it's awesome because as this is my first pregnancy, I have found out that I have learned more from my friends and other women than I have learned from my doctor!
  • I love what to expect when you're expecting! More so than any other books I've read... you can always go to a book store and look through a couple and see which appeals to you most...
    I love it, too! So much great info!
    You're freindly and nice and popular a14 AE :)) :))
  • I really liked The Happiest Baby on the Block. A lot of the 5 "S" strategies really worked with our newborn.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

• This may not apply but I loved my "pregnancy for Canadian dummies" it was slightly funny and kept me interested with out using giant medical words and explained things clearly without me having to google it later! As a ftm, it was helpful, my mom had her last baby 15 years ago so it's nice to get new answers she can't give me
  • Btw. I'm not 15 LOL! My baby sister is, felt I should clarify haha
  • This may not apply but I loved my "pregnancy for Canadian dummies" it was slightly funny and kept me interested with out using giant medical words and explained things clearly without me having to google it later! As a ftm, it was helpful, my mom had her last baby 15 years ago so it's nice to get new answers she can't give me
    That reminds me, there is a Canadian edition of The Mother of All Pregnancy Books by Ann Douglas, which is also great. I found it a good resource for the medical stuff because our health care system is different and some of our options/standards are a little different.
  • Lol I'm not Canadian but pregnancy for dummies sounds fun! I wonder if they make a us version?

My aunt sent me an actual book copy of belly laughs, she said it'd probably be something I'd enjoy. I also think Girlfriends guide to pregnancy and the mayo clinic baby book are looking like top contenders.

• I think it was more geared to Canadians because it explains labour laws and our maternity leave. Basically let's us Canucks know how it goes in Canada! :)
  • Ahhhh gotcha! You people have awesome mleave laws. I'm jealous. The fact that I'd only have 6-8 weeks with my peanut is a big reason I decided to stay home for at least a year (that and daycare for one kid is nuts where I live, I don't even wanna think about how much it'd be for a 3year old. And an infant. And I can afford to stay home... So why not?)

• I just don't feel six to eight weeks is enough time to be off with baby. I mean yes every paycheque I make, a small percentage pays into my leave (or anyone else's) but I feel like I earned it. Some ladies I know just continue to have children and live off me. (Ok so that was bitchy LOL) but I work 45 hours a week so I'm in a sense takin my money back! Lol :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"