December 2012 Moms

NBR: Need advise please

If anyone on here is an attorney or knows of one can you send me in the right direction?

I came home tonight and found out that, while cleaning the pipes next door, the landlord blew dirty water all over my bathroom.  I'm talking ALL OVER!!!  I'll attach pictures, but really they don't do the mess justice.  It's nasty!!!  People are telling me that I need it professionally cleaned and it's hazardous to our health to do it ourselves.  When I called the landlord he didn't offer to clean it or anything, just said to let him know if the drains were working now.  
imageimageimageimage

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

Re: NBR: Need advise please

• Oh, wow.  That's disgusting.

I'm not a lawyer in any way, shape, or form, but can you run a search to see if there's a tenants' rights organization in your area or state???? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited December 2013
    I'm sorry this happened. This is definitely not legal advice, but as a former tenant that has had apartment issues, I know that as PP said most states have resources for tenants. Sometimes there are handbooks about tenants rights. If your apartment complex is owned by a larger company go there rather than the onsite person. You could always try the local news as well. Sometimes they have numbers you can call and report this type of issue. Also, I don't know what you said to the landlord, but I wouldn't wait for them to offer, I think you need to explicitly ask. Did the landlord actually see the mess? I would also emphasize that you have a young child in your home.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • No real advice her, but wow that is awful! I would be livid. Not only does everything need to be cleaned, but you're going to have to replace a lot of stuff!
  • I would call the landlord back and tell him he has 24 hrs to get someone out to clean the mess, or you will be taking legal action against him and using the rent money to stay somewhere else until the mess is cleaned up.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Ewwww!!! That's awful! I would also do what @kerbear135 said....the landlord should be taking care of that! I'm sorry you're going through this. :(
  • We had to clean it last night, took us over 3 hours, because we need our bathroom!  I am going to work on a letter to him tomorrow, have an all day meeting today in about 1 hour, and attach the pictures.  I honestly don't think he knows what kind of mess it was! 

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• ugh! that is gross! Am thinking you'll want to itemize expenses for replacing items that cannot be sanitized. Agree that he probably didn't realize the true filth of the situation! Did you insist he come over to see the mess? Sorry that I have no advice to give other than looking at the lease agreement.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Even though you already cleaned it you should have a professional come in and do a deep clean as well just to make sure. That is beyond nasty  :-&
    Your landlord is definitely responsible for paying for the professional cleaning and perhaps some compensation for you having to clean it yourselves. Yuck! Most states and cities have a tenant help network. Google should help you track down some phone numbers.
    image image image
  • That is disgusting! I would have a professional cleaner come and sanitize everything. Then look research what your rights are. I would think that they should reimburse you for the cleaning.
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• I am a lawyer but not this kind:( Most landlord/ tenant laws allow you to cure and then deduct the amount from your next rent so long as you give the landlord notice that's what you're going to do, and an opportunity to cure the problem first. So, call and ask for professional cleaners. If landlord says no, tell him you will get cleaners and deduct from rent, then send a letter detailing the situation, with dates and times, confirming what you are going to do. First, check the landlord tenant laws online for where you live, though.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am working on a letter, well my sister is revising one, that I will send to him this week.  With pictures attached!

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"