August 2013 Moms
Options

Showing interest

For the past week or so Baby E has been showing a lot of interest in food. She will watch me bring whatever I'm eating or drinking to my mouth and try to reach for it.

Any other Aug13 babies showing interest in food?

Had our precious baby girl, Little Miss E, on August 14, 2013  143 → I.love.you.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo newb_zps36c606c5.gif

Re: Showing interest

• Options
    DS has been staring at me every time I eat.  He has not acted like he wants to reach for it but he has definitely taken an interest in what it is I am putting in my mouth.  I almost feel guilty for eating in front of him.  I am going to be firm in the waiting to six months rule but I worry about other people being tempted.

Picture the Moment Photography: Liam &emdash; 938A7372-Edit       

• Options
    Yep, my LO does the same thing. He grabbed a chicken bone off my brother's plate yesterday (that was actually really hilarious lol). We're not introducing food yet though. He's only 3 months (4 months on the 24th). I think it's something interesting to him, but not necessarily something he needs to experience yet.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Savannah's is watching but her tongue thrust is still pretty strong. So, I don't think she's ready. I'm thinking it probably will be around 5 months or so. She just turned 4 months on saturday.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    BabyE143BabyE143 member
    edited December 2013
    @KQuinonez I almost feel guilty too!

My pedi gave us a chart of how to introduce solids at her last appt (las Monday) and said she wanted her to practice using the spoon.

We plan to wait to introduce solids but the fact that she's getting interested is exciting. One step closer. She's growing up so fast!

Had our precious baby girl, Little Miss E, on August 14, 2013  143 → I.love.you.

• Options
    A lot of times we eat dinner w one on each of our laps bc we like to eat as a family w the big one and they are thisclose to sitting well in a high chair.

Anyway, they definitely watch and are interested. It's really fascinating, actually to watch them discover their world. They'll be 6mo actual on the 26th (but 4.5mo adjusted), so we'll likely start right around the new year.

I'm thinking of picking up some mum mums for them to play with / get used to while we eat dinner.

For those that haven't heard of mum mums:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DBPUB4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1387209876&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL60

• Options
    Z is very interested. It has gotten to the point where I can't eat with her in my lap cause she tries to grab food off my plate and right now everything she grabs goes in her mouth.
  • Options
    He's very interested. He'll sit there and watch every bite go into our mouths but we still have a ways to go before he starts solids. He's also interested in DH's beer bottle but we have a long long way to go before that gets introduced. :)
  • Options
    Yes!  DH & I were just noticing this over the last week.  LO will study us as we're eating and she's started making chomp chomp motions with her mouth.  We have an appt this Friday for her 4 month checkup, so I'll be asking the pedi about starting solids.  I think she's about ready!
    image mother quotes photo: love mother 132.gif

• Options
    DD was staring down some potatoes while DH was chopping them the other day. Other than that, she doesn't seem to care yet. She will be 5 months on Christmas, but we're holding out until 6 to introduce solids anyway. 

• Options
    My LO thinks chewing is hilarious. The louder and more disgusting you chew the better. So if she's being fussy around meal time I get H to go eat in front of her and it's a massive giggle fest. She's been interested in us eating for weeks now, but I want to wait until February before we start introducing anything.

• Options
    starshower22starshower22 member
    edited December 2013
    Here too! Just over the last week or so I've noticed some serious curiosity about our meals from DD. She's almost 5 months old (wtf?! She's growing so fast!) but we're planning on waiting until the 6 month mark before introducing anything.

eta: posted before ready. D'oh!
  • Options
    I think DS2 is more excited about the social aspect of mealtimes, not interested in foods really. We put him in the high chair to sit at table with us and he stares and laughs and "talks".

I am probably waiting until closer to 6 months anyway. Which is darn near March for us.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    Yep. I made a roasted chicken yesterday and he was fascinated with me shredding it. I've noticed him playing with his tongue a lot more in the last week as well. We're going to hold off until at least his 4 month appt, which will actually be closer to 5 months because of the holidays
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Options
    She definitely seems interested, but she's suddenly interest in a lot more, not just food. 

I'll be waiting until she can sit unassisted. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My LO has shown some interest in my plate but on the other hand he is starting to want everything he sees in his mouth! I am waiting for loss of tongue thrust reflex which is still going strong.
  • Options
    LO is very interested in what I am eating, but hasn't tried to reach for anything yet.

• Options
    sfeebs13sfeebs13 member
    edited December 2013
    Yes. Especially since we have started solids. Each bite I take she seems to be cheering me on. Watching me open my mouth and everything. She opens her mouth already very well for the spoon she just still doesn't quite understand it come from the spoon not her tiny fingers.

Eta. DD has also been mesmerized when she hits a button on her jumpy saucer and it lights up. She also likes to spin the little thing with beads in it... I can tell she's trying to figure it out
  • Options
    They are interested in watching you eat because you are interesting to watch. It doesn't necessarily mean they are interested in food.
    God bless you

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options

They are interested in watching you eat because you are interesting to watch. It doesn't necessarily mean they are interested in food.

So in your opinion what would the signs for a baby being interested in food be?

• Options
    We just had out 4 month appointment today, and our pedi recommended starting solids whenever LO shows 3 signs of readiness: interest in food/us eating, ability to sit with assistance, and lots of practice bringing hands and toys to her mouth. He guessed she would be ready around 5-6 months, but I would prefer to wait until 6 months.

The pedi also said that introducing solids is a way to get her additional calories, especially if she is getting distracted whole nursing, but I thought solids at this age were primarily for experimenting with flavored and textures, not for nutrition/calories and that BM (or formula) should be the primary source of nutrition until 1 year old? Does anyone have good links/sources about this? I think DH may need some convincing to wait on solids until 6 months.

• Options
    Caz1221 said:

We just had out 4 month appointment today, and our pedi recommended starting solids whenever LO shows 3 signs of readiness: interest in food/us eating, ability to sit with assistance, and lots of practice bringing hands and toys to her mouth. He guessed she would be ready around 5-6 months, but I would prefer to wait until 6 months.

The pedi also said that introducing solids is a way to get her additional calories, especially if she is getting distracted whole nursing, but I thought solids at this age were primarily for experimenting with flavored and textures, not for nutrition/calories and that BM (or formula) should be the primary source of nutrition until 1 year old? Does anyone have good links/sources about this? I think DH may need some convincing to wait on solids until 6 months.

Kellymom has a lot of good info on waiting to introduce solids.

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

We plan to wait to introduce solids for at least another month. Her pedi wants her to practice with a spoon and cereal right now and to be comfortable with a spoon by 5 months. We are choosing to not go that route but she is very interested in food and watching us eat. If H is in the room eating she'll stop nursing or sucking on a bottle to watch him (she's 4 months). But every child is different and develops differently. I just wanted to see where Aug 13 babies were with this.

• Options
    LO will sometimes watch me eat, but I don't think she's paying any attention to the food specifically, she's just watching me.

• Options
    I feel like an idiot, but how do you know when LO doesn't have tongue thrust anymore? Off to google...
    Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• Options
    NikkiD522 said:
    I feel like an idiot, but how do you know when LO doesn't have tongue thrust anymore? Off to google...

Touch your baby's lips. If his/Cher tongue pushes forward the reflex is still there.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

This. My LO grabbed food off of my plate, but he grabs at a lot.

@msspeedymarie you are our A13 teacher!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @belhurstbride :-)
    Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• Options
    I think he is showing interest but it could just be he is interested in watching me!

LO turned 4 months today. I told the pediatrician I was concerned how awful the nighttime had become with multiple wakeups and lots of crying when I put LO down. I feel he is constantly hungry. Ped said this was a great reason to start introducing solids. Gave LO some cereal tonight mixed with bm and he loved it!
  • Options
    DD is watching me eat very intently these days. I can't eat a meal while feeding her at the same time anymore like I used to because she'll just pop off the boob and stare at me! I'm having some supply issues and have heard conflicting info on starting solids when that's happening. Some say it's a good source of extra calories if you're not providing enough, but others suggest it can hurt efforts to build up more milk. I think we've decided to wait to introduce any solids until 6 months either way.
  • Options

1078 said:

I think he is showing interest but it could just be he is interested in watching me!

LO turned 4 months today. I told the pediatrician I was concerned how awful the nighttime had become with multiple wakeups and lots of crying when I put LO down. I feel he is constantly hungry. Ped said this was a great reason to start introducing solids. Gave LO some cereal tonight mixed with bm and he loved it!

Mine is doing this, too. Growth spurt, I'm guessing. If she needs more milk, I want her to have it, even if I'm a zombie the next day! 

Sorry, I feel like I'm so opinionated on this, but I don't understand giving cereal to a hungry baby instead of milk. They can't digest it well. They need milk. Giving them cereal is like feeding an adult rice cakes. It might fill your stomach, but you aren't getting much calories or nutrition from it.

I'm now going to shut up on this topic because I feel like I'm turning into a sanctimonious bitch. I'm going to just stop opening solids posts.

@msspeedymarie let me be clear in saying that this was NOT a solids post. In no way am I giving my child solids yet. She is showing interest in food. And as for your opinion of showing "interest" since when does a child "not gagging on food and losing the tongue thrust reflux" be considered showing interest? At that point you've bypassed the interest and you're already feeding them solids.

And I want to get it out there that I say this without snark. I think some Aug13 mom's jump to conclusions when reading posts about food.

• Options
    1078 said:
    I think he is showing interest but it could just be he is interested in watching me! LO turned 4 months today. I told the pediatrician I was concerned how awful the nighttime had become with multiple wakeups and lots of crying when I put LO down. I feel he is constantly hungry. Ped said this was a great reason to start introducing solids. Gave LO some cereal tonight mixed with bm and he loved it!
    Um... 4 month wakeful much? Growth spurt?
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1078 said:
    I think he is showing interest but it could just be he is interested in watching me! LO turned 4 months today. I told the pediatrician I was concerned how awful the nighttime had become with multiple wakeups and lots of crying when I put LO down. I feel he is constantly hungry. Ped said this was a great reason to start introducing solids. Gave LO some cereal tonight mixed with bm and he loved it!

Mine is doing this, too. Growth spurt, I'm guessing. If she needs more milk, I want her to have it, even if I'm a zombie the next day! 

Sorry, I feel like I'm so opinionated on this, but I don't understand giving cereal to a hungry baby instead of milk. They can't digest it well. They need milk. Giving them cereal is like feeding an adult rice cakes. It might fill your stomach, but you aren't getting much calories or nutrition from it.

I'm now going to shut up on this topic because I feel like I'm turning into a sanctimonious bitch. I'm going to just stop opening solids posts.
    I don't think you are, but you are stealing words out of my mouth!
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone else ever feel overwhelmed with all of the info out there regarding solids? 4 months, 6 months, extra calories, just for fun, spoon, no spoon, cereal, no cereal, veggies first, meat first, etc. Whenever I think I've finally got a "plan", a curveball gets thrown and turns it upside down. I'm thinking maybe it's time I just relax a bit and just enjoy LO in the moment and stop stressing so much about the perfect plan... Sorry that turned into DD..
    Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• Options

1078 said:

I don't think you are being a bitch. I appreciate your opinion. I hadn't planned on introducing solids until closer to 6 months but if my doctor is suggesting it and it will help satisfy LO, I will try it. I am still breastfeeding him as much as he wants. I thought it was a growth spurt at first, but it has been over a week. I hadn't planned on feeding him cereal either, but I wasn't prepared to start pureeing since I wasn't planning on starting solids! That being said, I am going to try it and see how it goes. I have reached out to a friend that is a pediatrician for her professional opinion and talked to my IRL friends and several started after the 4 month appointment.

It might be a fluke, but LO slept from 8 to 4:30 a.m. last night, which is much better than he had been doing. I am still waiting on the Merlin Sleepsuit and hoping that gets us to 11 hours!

I also didn't notice any digestion issues today, but thank you giving me the heads up. I will watch out for it.
  • Options
    @HauntedRadio I totally agree. There is not some magical number as to when every baby is ready. We went to the pedi yesterday and he said that by waiting to six months you make sure their digestive track is mature enough. Their mouth and hands may be ready but it is a lot harder to see what is going on inside of them.

I am not in any way judging people who start early because it's a very Grey area. For us waiting is the right decision. I am not overly cautious but I would hate for DS to be suffering from a tummy ache or constipation because I was impatient. It is not as if he knows he is missing out.

Picture the Moment Photography: Liam &emdash; 938A7372-Edit       

• Options

BabyE143 said:

1078 said:

@msspeedymarie let me be clear in saying that this was NOT a solids post. In no way am I giving my child solids yet. She is showing interest in food. And as for your opinion of showing "interest" since when does a child "not gagging on food and losing the tongue thrust reflux" be considered showing interest? At that point you've bypassed the interest and you're already feeding them solids.

And I want to get it out there that I say this without snark. I think some Aug13 mom's jump to conclusions when reading posts about food.

Sorry, I didn't mean that this in particular was a solids post or to imply anything, but it did evolve to that a little, particularly the post I quoted. I was more referring to posts about solids in general, and just trying to admit to the fact that I recognize I've become a little lectury on this issue lately on a couple threads and that I'm going to back off - before some felt the need to tell me to shut it. like I said, I don't want to come across as a sanctimous know it all. I do that enough in real life. I have my opinion, it's different than some others, I'm gonna quit shoving it on people. That's all I was trying to say.

We're good. I like you and I completely agree with you in waiting. I just wanted to clarify why I posted.

• Options
    I can't believe this thread has damn near 50 posts.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"