Adoption
Options

Banking cord blood

For those that are or have adopted a domestic newborn, did you think about or consider or actually bank the cord blood?

I listed in our parenting questionnaire for our agency, which is used to match us to a BM, that we are interesting in talking about this.

It seems like a smart thing to do given that we may never have access to the birth father or his medical records and after birth/placement we may not have good access or communication with the birth family.

Any thoughts? Is it just crazy-new parent thinking? lol

Re: Banking cord blood

• Options
    I never thought about this...I wonder what other people who have already adopted think about this.  I'll be interested to see the replies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I know, I was talking with a friend who did it with their biological child. It got me to thinking ... obviously, it wont work in every domestic newborn adoption because babies might be born before you are given the call but in cases where you could arrange it ahead of time.... I don't see a downside to it - aside from cost.

I just wonder if this is a new enough thing that agencies haven't really thought about it either. I wonder if we would sound like 'weirdos' for wanting it since it is a fairly new thing.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi

My work is closely associated w/cord blood transplants.
    I have some personal thoughts that I am happy to share off-line.

There are many considerations when banking....

If you want to chat more, let me know how to contact you and I'll send you an email. 

PS-  Don't forget about exploring cb donation.  If it's accessible, that may be the best option yet.

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options

I would appreciate the offline conversation, I sent you a private message through the board messaging system with my email.

Thanks!

• Options

Your post really got me thinking about this. I found an online article that encouraged it for people adopting but then found the following on the American Acadamy of Pediatrics site:

Parents should consult their physician to help them make an informed decision.

• Cord blood donation should be encouraged with the cord blood is stored in a bank for public use.
    • Private cord blood banking should be encouraged when there is knowledge of a full sibling in the family with a medical condition (malignant or genetic) that could potentially benefit from cord blood transplantation.
    • If banking for future personal or family use, parents should know that most conditions that might be helped by cord blood stem cells already exist in the infant's cord blood and would not be used (ie, premalignant changes in stem cells).
    • Storing cord blood as "biological insurance" should be discouraged because there currently is no scientific data to support (self) autologous transplantation..
  • Options

I think that if it's possible, this is a great idea. We had planned to do it if we had biological children, and I'm hoping we are able to with our adopted. If the BM is open to it, I would definitely do it.

Erica

• Options

We banked our son's cord blood.  We knew that diabetes run in our sons birth father's side of the family.  Currently, studies are being done to help/cure juvenile diabetes using cord blood.  If something were to happen where Charlie needs cord blood, my husband and I probably would not be a match.  Why not save his?   

• Options

Oh' and I forgot to say...  If you do save his cord blood you have to get permission from your child's mom.  After we asked her to sign the documents, she told me that saving his cord blood made her feel even more confident in her decision. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"