Parenting
Options

Do You Care About Being Surprised Anymore?

My BF and I have gotten to the point where Christmas is a thrill for the kids, but when it comes to gifts we are like "what do you want?" Not quite like that, but for example he told me about some sneakers that he wanted and I ordered them for him. I told him about some Uggs that I want and he let me sit next to him and pick out the color I want. For birthdays and Mother's/Father's Day, it's more of a surprise- but not Christmas. Is anyone else like this, or are we just completely unromantic and boring? FWIW, I saw something under the tree for me that wasn't talked about and I plan to get him something else from LO.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Do You Care About Being Surprised Anymore?

• Options
    We don't do gifts for each other at all, for any occasion.  It's best this way to keep from being disappointed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MrsButt said:
    We aren't even getting each other gifts this year because neither of us need or want anything. We've decided we are going to probably purchase a fancy vacation for us in April of next year when our babysitter takes some time off. I'm pretty excited to start planning for that!

He is giving me a trip to Iowa in March in that he's staying home with the kid while I head to Iowa and get shit faced with my frendz.

Nice!! We're going to the Bahamas in May so that will be a Mother's/Father's day combo gift. I'm excited :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're more like you.  We actually don't do Mother's/Father's Day or bday gifts, just dinner.  Christmas is definitely a "what do you want/need" thing and then we pick out another thing or two that we know the person would like.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    We used to do surprises, but after 6 years of marriage we mostly ask before we buy stuff unless we find a great idea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Options
    I like being a little surprised but I'll show DH what I want. In the past it hasn't always been a guarantee I'll get it, but I think he listens more. He never knows what he wants, but I listen to what he wishes he had, like one gift I got him was a back support belt. I also tend to get a gift for both of us but it's his gift, like a firepit.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jak554 said:
    I like being a little surprised but I'll show DH what I want. In the past it hasn't always been a guarantee I'll get it, but I think he listens more. He never knows what he wants, but I listen to what he wishes he had, like one gift I got him was a back support belt. I also tend to get a gift for both of us but it's his gift, like a firepit.
    I did this last year, except it ended up being slippers that I wear more than him. Lol
  • Options
    ReeseFoxReeseFox member
    edited December 2013
    I love to be surprised. Some years DH is really, really good and other years he puts forth zero effort and just asks me what to buy. I spend hours searching and picking out the perfect gift for people. That said, this year we're not even exchanging gifts. Instead we're going to wait until we get our tax refund and by ourselves a new mattress. So romantic.

"Man, be creative. Like the stuff you do. Do nice things. Love respectfully. Laugh a fucking lot. Curse when you feel like it. Life is cool." - Jean Grae

image image
    M (3/9/02) and E (2/28/12)

• Options
    ReeseFox said:
    I love to be surprised. Some years DH is really, really good and other years he puts forth zero effort and just asks me what to buy. I spend hours searching and picking out the perfect gift for people. I That said, this year we're not even exchanging gifts. Instead we're going to wait until we get our tax refund and by ourselves a new mattress. So romantic.
    We're doing this and getting a new tv . Definitely not as romantic as you.
  • Options
    I'd love it if he surprised me with something special, but I'm ok with what we do now, which is basically give each other lists to choose from or even buy things for ourselves. I'm getting a new winter coat and some clothes this week. That's part of my Christmas gift.

Two years ago, he did a great job. I had wanted a cedar chest for a while. It's a tradition in my family to have a cedar chest to store special family items. I had been sending DH links to ones I found on Craigslist (I really wanted something vintage/antique), but he didn't seem to be biting. On Christmas morning, the last gift he gave me was a small box, and inside was a picture of the cedar chest! He found it at a local antique shop, and he'd been keeping it at his parents' house.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I hate surprises. I always have. I'm always afraid I'll get something I don't like and it will show on my face. I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. DH has something up his sleeve this year, and I hope I live it. It's actually causing me some anxiety just thinking about it.
  • Options
    I hate surprises. I always have. I'm always afraid I'll get something I don't like and it will show on my face. I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. DH has something up his sleeve this year, and I hope I live it. It's actually causing me some anxiety just thinking about it.

Last year BF got me a beautiful pair of earrings for Christmas. He didn't tell me that he was getting them, it was a surprise and I didn't like them at all. They weren't my style even though they were lovely. He said it was ok for me to trade them for earrings that I loved and I ended up getting two pairs in exchange for what he bought- he was happy that I ended up with what I picked myself.
  • Options
    We do a mix. We usually exchange lists of stuff we want, but we'll each pick up a few non list surprises as well.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    We don't exchange gifts. It really is awesome since I have one less person to worry about. We just exchange on bdays, but I hate that too. I feel weird receiving gifts as an adult.
  • Options
    MrsCodeMonkeyMrsCodeMonkey member
    edited December 2013

We set a dollar limit and buy our own damn presents.

This cracks me up. It would totally work for DH. He usually wants computer components and I don't have a Newegg account. He finds it tough to shop for me. He said this year he went shopping on the Jimmy Jane website instead of buying jewelry. It's going to be a spicy Christmas to say the least. Lol

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Options
    We don't buy each other gifts, basically ever.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options
    We'll both give each other a couple of ideas. A surprise is nice, but I'd much rather give (and receive) something that we really want or could use. I think that's better than a surprise.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    I've never liked surprises, tbh.
  • Options
    We really dont buy gifts for eachother much anymore, but since most the time things on my wish list are mostly things I NEED (or well...not need enough to buy for myself obviously, but something I'd use practically rather than just for fun is a better description).....   I'd rather just get those things than be surprised.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options
    DH and I don't exchange with each other at Christmas. We only do birthdays. The kids each pick out something small for us though. They all had their own ideas this year and didn't even need help.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • Options
    We do something similar. He lists the jeep parts he wants and i pick the top items that fit into the budget. I got him a small surprise gift.

He is a horrible gift giver. Horrible. Like people are astonished when they ask what i got for christmas so now i get my own presents. He told me not to open anything addressed to him while he is OOT this week and im nervous. God only knows what it is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DH just texted that I will probably want to send back my big surprise because he is having second thoughts about it. That's why I hate surprises! Now I'm set up to not like it.
  • Options
    We use our credit card ALL year long so come Christmas/Hanukkah we divide up the points and use them towards gift cards. 

I do try to fill his stocking with a movie and something else that is inexpensive but something not expected. This year may be the first year that I actually surprised him though--he ALWAYS seems to guess what I got him--even if it is a little thing and this year I think I found something he will NEVER guess. 

<----can't wait til Christmas for him. It has taken me 13 years to surprise him. I did surprise him one Valentine's day---but my track record of surprising him is slim to none.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    I don't need to be shocked out of my mind every year but I hate picking out my own gift, telling DH (or anyone) "get me this." I don't mind throwing out some hints or ideas but I think the whole point of gift giving is to put a little thought into it.
    imageimage
  • Options
    We've decided to stop buying gifts for each other. Our anniversary and my birthday are in December too, and we just took a trip to Disney instead of buying stuff we may not want/need. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"